What are the best walking shoes and/or sandals to wear?

ken_nyc

I need the help from all of you experienced western european cruises.

Been having this debate with my DW that she should not be wearing regular sandals walking around the uneven cobblestone streets in Spain and Italy because you can badly sprain or break an ankle.

What are the suggestions from all of you for men and women foot wear?

Thank you in advance!

I love my keens, worn them all over Europe, comfortable, many colors to chose from, waterproof. Different levels of support, great soles, thick. I do not slip, even in the rain. They even have hiking shoes too,. Heading off tomorrow Monte Carlo - Lisbon, I have 3 pair packed. Orange, green and blue.

I need the help from all of you experienced western european cruises.

Been having this debate with my DW that she should not be wearing regular sandals walking around the uneven cobblestone streets in Spain and Italy because you can badly sprain or break an ankle.

What are the suggestions from all of you for men and women foot wear?

Thank you in advance!

There aren't that many cobbled streets in Spain and Italy! Ordinary sandals are fine.

I found Skechers Go Walks a couple of years ago. They now have them with memory foam, which are even nicer to wear. Another thing is they come in a variety of colors and they weigh literally nothing, so that helps with weight. DH now has them also and loves them.

Speaking of shoes..... While on the ship I swear by Me Too flat fold up shoes. They are light weight, and take up very little space. They are perfect for shipboard life as the rubber soles grip when it gets a little rocky. Make sure you get the rubber soles as they also have a slippery version. Have them in four colors. As for cobblestones, my favorites are Keen and Ahnu.

Geox, Ecco and Teva have good quality walking sandals.

Also Mephisto has sandals now, but they are of a higher price range.

Remember, Sandals are never worn with socks...:eek::D

Whatever you do, please don't wear these awful ( white) basket sport shoes.

They don't breath, they are ugly and only Americans wear them on the streets ( except gang members) thus shouting out: " pickpocket me, I am a naïve tourist"

( that and these dangerous fanny packs, which are also pickpocket gold, even the so-called thief proof ones.)

Anyone have any experience with Born? I just bought a pair of sandals and haven't put them to the test yet. Wouldn't be great for the big cities - but they look supportive and would be nice for the European resort type towns....I hope.

Hopefully, it warms up enough that I can test drive and break them in before we leave next month.

With running shoes for workouts and dressier shoes for evenings on the ship, it's hard to not fill up have my luggage with shoes.

Anyone have any experience with Born? I just bought a pair of sandals and haven't put them to the test yet. Wouldn't be great for the big cities - but they look supportive and would be nice for the European resort type towns....I hope.

Hopefully, it warms up enough that I can test drive and break them in before we leave next month.

With running shoes for workouts and dressier shoes for evenings on the ship, it's hard to not fill up have my luggage with shoes.

I have some Born shoes. They are really comfortable. Put them on and walk around the house. They won't get dirty in case you don't like them.

:) I would like to thank ALL of you who suggested sandals!! :)

My DW and I went and bought sandals today, we tried on different brands and styles and we bought the ones that were the most comfortable.

I bought the ECCO Offroad Yucatan Sandal

DW bought the TEVA Verra

Thank you again!!

At age 68, who was a runner until about 12 years ago, then I shifted to biking to spare the potential damage to knees, etc. For running and walking, the best shoe would be an athletic shoe with a padding on the heel to cushion the shock of the heel striking the hard surface.

Personally, I would never wear sandals for walking long distances. DW and I still bike 30 miles every other day unless it is too cold or rain is likely. We walk 3 /14 miles in 50 minutes and use walking shoes.

I did not recognize the many name brands that were mentioned in this thread, so I cannot comment on their functionality.

When I was a runner, my runner's world magazine advised on replacing my running shoes every six months, or knee, heel and other injuries were likely. I don't think this is as much a problem with walking, but it pays to be cautious.

http://www.the-fitness-walking-guide.com/best-walking-shoes.html