Car Rental in Dec 16 for the day

cessnabmw

This past week we rented 3 cars on trip.

Barbados: left side driving with right side steering wheel.

St. Maarten: right side driving with left side steering wheel.

St. Thomas: left side driving with left side steering wheel.

if could have found right side driving with right side steering wheel would have ran the table.

In the US I know my credit card covers me for insurance as well as my insurance with Geico. Has anyone checked if they cover us out of the US or did you buy the full coverage ? It is an extra $41 dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going Feb 4th and I REALLY appreciate the info and those that have come back to give their experience, I think we will go with Costal as well however we are only there from 8:00 - 3:00 is it still worth renting a car?

TIA:)

We will be going Feb 4th and I REALLY appreciate the info and those that have come back to give their experience, I think we will go with Costal as well however we are only there from 8:00 - 3:00 is it still worth renting a car?

TIA:)

What ship only has an 8-3 stop in St. Maarten.? I hope that the other stops on your cruise are longer.

I don't think that renting a car depends on the hours as much as the distance and places that you want to visit. If all you want is to go to is and then to Orient beach then a taxi would be a better option. If you want to visit Anse Marcel, and then have lunch amongst the trees at Lotterie Farm then a car would be my preferred way to travel.

Where were you thinking of visiting while in St. Maarten?

Never been there but we are the type that just gets in a car and goes LOL nowhere specific just to see the Island. 8-3 seemed short but that is what the Westerdam states for time on the island so really 9-2, its just me an hubby and was told by some to check out Orient beach but not sure, we are really just scenery people.

• 2 weeks later...
Just called Citi and they will cover us too! Saved $41!

After seeing these few posts I checked and our amex covers us too! So glad I saw this here. My question is that if I use Paypal to pay the deposit (Paypal is the only means offered) would that negate the amex insurance? Even if I paid the balance at the port with it? Hmm, I suppose I can add this amex to Paypal and use it there. Ugh, I guess I should just call the credit card company.

After seeing these few posts I checked and our amex covers us too! So glad I saw this here. My question is that if I use Paypal to pay the deposit (Paypal is the only means offered) would that negate the amex insurance? Even if I paid the balance at the port with it? Hmm, I suppose I can add this amex to Paypal and use it there. Ugh, I guess I should just call the credit card company.

I was wondering the same thing. What did you find out?

I had paid the deposit via PayPal using my CC just in case. Then paid the balance using the same CC.

We had an amazing time with the rental in St. Maarten.

Picked up the car as soon as we got off the ship. Got the GPS, and drove to Maho. We found free parking behind a strip mall maybe 5 mins from the beach. Left the car there and walked to the beach.

The beach was amazing. A bit crowded as expected since most were here to watch the planes. Went and stood at the fence for one for the take-offs and it was awesome.

We all swam here and the kids loved it too. Once the KLM 747 landed, we took off too.

Drove to Marigot and had lunch at Sarafina's. The food was great and the baguette was to die for. They accepted USD (converted from their Euro pricing).

We then drove around the island to Orient beach. Stopped here for a while, swam and enjoyed the beach. Then drove back and returned the car.

No issues at all with the rental or driving on the island.