Documents before cruise?

luvcruisin21

I'm wondering when everyone received their final document package prior to their cruise? And if you booked with a travel agent, did the documents go to them first? I've done a search on this forum, but couldn't find anything. So any help if much appreciated!

My travel agent has said the documents will be sent 2-3 weeks before we leave. Does this seem like enough time??

The question is, why would it not be enough time? Assuming your TA has all the correct delivery information, it should be fine. We once had lost cruise docs, and there was plenty of time to have them re-delivered. If there's a specific reason why you need them early, then that's a different matter--by all means ask them. And ask to be told when and how they get shipped so you can track them.

Cruise documents, btw, are hardly necessary these days. I can't recall anyone on the PG actually looking at ours. They were mostly for our own edification.

Wendy: I appreciate the reassurance re lost documents. This is our first PG cruise so I mainly wanted to receive the package in plenty of time to go over all the details. And I thought if they were sent out 2 weeks before we leave, then I'd only get them a week (or possibly less) before we leave. That didn't seem like enough time to correct any possible errors on the documents or, more importantly, to allow for U.S. postal service delays or lost documents. Your suggestion of getting a tracking number is a good one. I guess it's more of a comfort level thing; for me, getting the documents 2-3 weeks before our trip seems optimal. So I will talk to my TA as has been suggested.

As to needing the actual cruise documents for boarding, that wasn't so much a concern, but I thought I needed at least a copy of the airline e-tickets for check-in at the airport. Can you tell I don't travel much? :rolleyes: Anyway, I've just learned that I don't actually need any e-ticket (that's the point, lol) and it will all be on the airlines' computers. That helps too.

Wendy: I appreciate the reassurance re lost documents. This is our first PG cruise so I mainly wanted to receive the package in plenty of time to go over all the details. And I thought if they were sent out 2 weeks before we leave, then I'd only get them a week (or possibly less) before we leave. That didn't seem like enough time to correct any possible errors on the documents or, more importantly, to allow for U.S. postal service delays or lost documents. Your suggestion of getting a tracking number is a good one. I guess it's more of a comfort level thing; for me, getting the documents 2-3 weeks before our trip seems optimal. So I will talk to my TA as has been suggested.

As to needing the actual cruise documents for boarding, that wasn't so much a concern, but I thought I needed at least a copy of the airline e-tickets for check-in at the airport. Can you tell I don't travel much? :rolleyes: Anyway, I've just learned that I don't actually need any e-ticket (that's the point, lol) and it will all be on the airlines' computers. That helps too.

Always carry your ticket in your hand luggage.

We travel a lot and for the first time this year Singapore airlines had a really poor agent who misunderstood her routing ( which had been changed) and told my daughter that she did not have a seat. This in spite of her pre selecting her meals with Singapore airlines and receiving a welcome aboard letter from the airline that day! It look half an hour for the snafu to be unravelled.

Agree with Emdee. I have a plastic string tie envelope for each trip we take, and as I book various parts of the trip the documentation goes into it. Tickets, travel insurance info, and the spreadsheet with all confirmation numbers, etc. It lives in my carry on bag and is considered the single most important thing I am responsible for.

Thank you Emdee and ducklite - now I don't feel so stupid for thinking I should have a hard copy of the e-ticket and other docs....just in case. Hopefully, it never happens, but it only takes that one time to really put a big damper on your travel.

Be sure to review your air documents. Once while on the PG there was a family of 4 kids and parents. They had both business and coach tickets. At the airport leaving for the states, they found out that one of their children had been booked erroneously on another flight which meant he would have had to stay over in Tahiti! It was fixed after some stressful moments.

By the way, the parents flew business and the kids flew coach! 2 teens and 2 younger ones!

Also in your documents you will find details about ship excursions and a few other add ons.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Newbie Question about documents-

I read in the fine print that we are supposed to be issued airline information 75 days prior to sailing. We are leaving in about 60 days now and I have not received anything. Should I have gotten something?

I need to contact the airline anyway about providing a gluten free meal, but I have no reservation number or proof to even talk with them.

Just call ATN and give them your details they will be able to access the information. You can also book your seat.

Thanks for the suggestion. I called, they had our reservation and our seats were booked already too!

I was able to get my gluten free meal requested. Whew!