Sheraton Yankee Clipper - That Bad?

wolfganghowell

We are booked there on points for 12/26 and 27. Since it is holiday time, I felt we had to get something booked and could always make changes. I sure like staying somewhere free but the latest reviews on this place are TERRIBLE. NASTY. GROSS. Yeah, you get what you pay for sometimes so perhaps I need to put those points to better use.

Can anyone tell me about staying at Clipper? We have stayed in the past at Pier 66, Renaissance and whatever the sort of dump is across A1A from Pier 66 - I can't remember the name of it!

I don't expect a lot from this place but basic cleanliness. From the reports I've seen, even that may be asking too much.

Help!

hi there the reviews are right i used to live in fort lauderdale and we had friends that stayed at the clipper last yr and it was a dump so much so that they ended up changing hotels and going to a better one . i wouldnt send my dog to stay there was very dirty .. the pier 66 is a great hotel if i was you i would be styaing there if you could .. the dump you talked about across the street from the hyatt is no longer there .. hope this helps you out there are alot of hotels along 17th st causeway that are very close to the port alot of shops and rest ..

have a fun cruise

steve

I'm not sure if it is the Yankee Trader or the Yankee Clipper that will be closing as of June 1, 2008. Either way - I don't think I'd be booking a room at either (or at least at the one that's closing soon) just in case! JMO!

The Trader's closing June 1st. When the work is completed in 2009 they'll be closing the Clipper. If you've ever stayed in a hotel in the Catskills....that's what the Clipper is like.

We are scheduled to stay there Dec 21st for one night precruise. We've stayed at the Trader and it was fine, so I'm hoping the Clipper is close? Picked it up on Priceline for $101 + tax, which is pretty good for the holidays. The location is perfect; that we can agree on.

Tripadvisor is all over the map for Ft Lauderdale hotels. We've stayed at the Renaissance, Hyatt Pier 66, Yankee Trader, Bahia Mar, Westin, Grand..., and to tell you the truth, "it depends". I've had poor rooms at the Hyatt, the Grand, and good rooms at the Trader and Bahia Mar -- so it depends on the day, the room, and the staff. All of these rooms have been booked on Priceline or Hotwire, and the most I ever paid was $140 + tax at the Hyatt Pier 66. I always felt like I got my money's worth.

With the climate, the demand, the turnover, and labor issues being a bit unique to south Florida, you never know what you will get?:rolleyes: :)

Good Luck, and have a great cruise!

Kel:D

We stayed at the Yankee Clipper last September. Our room was in the main building overlooking the ocean. Great view but room was just o.k. Not bad but nothing special. The time prior we stayed in the annex building across the street overlooking the marina. The room was very nice and the view of the marina was good. I wouldnt hesitate to stay at the hotel again but I would prefer the annex vs the main building. We have stayed at most of the hotels in Ft Lauderdale and some were better and some were worse. The location of the hotel is great.

We stayed at the clipper last year and was in the annex across the street and had what we thought to be the nicest room we have ever stayed in. It was a corner room on the north side and we could see the beach and harbor. We had 4 or 5 rooms booked and told them we wanted something nice. So try to get in the annex if possible. We also picked it up on priceline so you should be ok. Recently we habve been picking up the Marriott Courtyard on the Beach for $75 on priceline. Bill

Kel Forgot to tell you we stayed at the clipper when we sailed on the Massdam with you. Bill

Hi Bill,:)

Thanks for the info! Are you bidding 2 1/2 star Beach Zone -- to get the Marriott Courtyard? I've head good things about this hotel.

Thanks again,

Kel

I have been bidding every couple of days for Nov 7 but I think its to early but will keep trying until I hit. It is really nice and a lot of good places to eat and shop. You can also catch the Trolley to get to Publix and that area. We stayed there in Feb and will be there in two weeks again. Each time I bid 75. I have seen some people get upgreaded to 3* witch would get Logo Mar or Clipper so it would be ok. Bill

Trip Advisor responses are not very good....infact, not nice at all ....we are interested to because we can get two rooms for $100.00 with points for one night before cruise...but do not want to be in a dump.....

Exactly, that's what worried me. trip Advisor has them raked over the coals, to put it nicely. We are holding the reservation since I spoke with an operator and she showed it sold out (for a dump it must be popular). Since we are using Starwood points, we are also holding a reservation at the St Regis just to be safe and waiting for the W to start accepting reservations. It's my hope to get in the W. But this way I know I have a room. Thanks to all who have responded and I hope to hear more, good and bad.

I have been bidding every couple of days for Nov 7 but I think its to early but will keep trying until I hit. It is really nice and a lot of good places to eat and shop. You can also catch the Trolley to get to Publix and that area. We stayed there in Feb and will be there in two weeks again. Each time I bid 75. I have seen some people get upgreaded to 3* witch would get Logo Mar or Clipper so it would be ok. Bill

I thought you could not bid for Lago Mar on Priceline??? Is this incorrect?

Karen

Archived