Has the Jewel Converted to Upgrade disAdvantage Yet?

BostonGal35

Anyone know? we are sailing in September and id love to upgrade under the old school process if they have not yet converted over.

Was not converted in April. I think that it has since then. You will see a banner on your MyNCL account 80 days prior to sailing.

There have been a couple posters stating it moved to Upgrade Advantage in May, so you will need to be in a balcony or mini suite to bid on suite or Haven.

boo. we are in a window, that's why i was hoping it was still on the old program.

boo. we are in a window, that's why i was hoping it was still on the old program.

I thought that might be the case, sorry. The days of big category jumps and very good deals on suites are gone, the bidding system is there to maximize NCL's income. Inflated initial suite pricing, set minimum bids from at least a balcony and overzealous/uninformed bidders keep NCL well into the black. The new system ensures top dollar is obtained even when bidders think they are getting a deal.

If willing to wait a bit past final payment, either not booked or booked in a non-suite, some deals do still appear. On my last NCL sailing (non Upgrade Advantage) I booked an ocean view since there were a fair number of suites unsold and I was going to try for an upsell. At about the 45 day mark there was a significant price drop. It was a fairly popular sailing so I did a full price upgrade to a suite at a more reasonable rate, not as cheap as those that did upsell, but I wasn't willing to chance missing the suite I wanted. I ended up paying $2750x2 plus taxes for two weeks in a 2br family suite with all the promos, a reasonably good deal to me. The suites that did upsell ended up being the less desirable ones.

If a similar deal sounds doable with your finances it may be possible for your sailing, the new pricing and bidding system will probably fill out the ship in a similar fashion, just without a choice of cabin for those bidding. Watch NCL's site closely for a possible price drop on categories with multiple unsold cabins because soon after that the cabins will suddenly show as sold out and will be put into the bidding pool ending any possibility of a full paid upgrade. From monitoring many cruises it seems anywhere between one month and 15 days out they move excess suite inventory into sold out, i.e. bidding, status.