own website

sunshine100

We go on many trips, land and cruises, and want to be able to share our pictures with friends and family. I would really like to have our own website but don't know the first thing about this! Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go with this? It does not matter the cost. People are always asking to see our pictures and want to be able to share them! the other question I have is the files of the pictures are large, so I would need a lot of space! Any thoughts?

My website, rogerjett-photography, is hosted by BlueHost with unlimited webspace. The website is designed with WordPress that has lots of free templates that just populate them and upload all of your images. All images are automatically resized to not exceed 926 pixels and thumbnails are created automatically.

Example:http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1180

Edited by Crew News

Just do an online search for "web hosting". There are many companies that can provide a domain name and web hosting. Many offer canned or generic web designs for free. There are also web design softwares that spare you from learning HTML and offer a more user friendly way to create a custom website.

It sounds like what you need is a photo sharing site rather than a website.

There are heaps of free ones that are really simple to use and share. They also all have various sets of paid accounts to allow for size.

I have used Phanfare since 2007 and have over 300,000 photos stored on it in high resolution. Videos as well.

The other highly recommended one is smugmug.

Others I have used over the years are flikr, photobucket (I have multiple free accounts with them holding about 60gig of photos), zenfolio.

If you already have a google+ account for email etc - they also do photo albums.

Are you planning on doing a cruise blog of your experiences for the people that ask about your pictures and cruising? If not, you could just simply get a place to host your photos.

I have used Smugmug for about 4 years and love it. I have the pro account and it's not really that much per year and completely worth it. You can set it up the way you want it and it makes the pictures look fabulous. :)

Take a look at Jalbum - this is a program that creates very nice photo albums of your pictures. They also offer hosting for your photo albums, so it's an all inclusive package.

Blogging sites and sites like wix.com offer free hosting - I think they are probably somewhat limited in the space they give for free.

I'm a web designer so I do my own family travel photos website . . . this is the best option, but you need to know HTML and some other things to do it. Of course, you could get a hosting plan and then upload your Jalbum photo albums to that space as well. Hosting can be found for $8 per month with a reputable company. Domain name is $10 - $15 per year. I use 3essentials.com for my hosting and they've been great.

You have an awesome website, but I think I may have spotted a misspelled word on the following page.

http://www.familytravelphotos.com/travel-photo-tips/

It says Vacation Phoot Tips / Photography Tutorial

Should Phoot be Photo?

No, I meant Phoot. ROFLMAO! Thanks for the heads-up, I'll get that fixed!

Glad you liked the site. I'm going to be adding a huge trip report on our recent cruise very soon, with information primarily for first time cruisers.

Your wife has spent a lot of time on her site, very cool . . . I know from experience how much time it takes to organize, size, caption and produce albums for photos!

Edited by websiteauthor

We go on many trips, land and cruises, and want to be able to share our pictures with friends and family. I would really like to have our own website but don't know the first thing about this! Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could go with this? It does not matter the cost. People are always asking to see our pictures and want to be able to share them! the other question I have is the files of the pictures are large, so I would need a lot of space! Any thoughts?

You can create a website on Shutterfly and add journaling, photos and comment sections too And the best part it is free. Give it a try I think you'll like it. I have one here is the link:

https://joannectraveladventures.shutterfly.com

Your wife has spent a lot of time on her site, very cool . . . I know from experience how much time it takes to organize, size, caption and produce albums for photos!

Thanks for taking the time to visit her website and post your compliment! I'll pass your comments along to her. Yes, she has spent a lot of time learning to put it together and posting her photo slide shows after each trip and cruise.

Happy cruising! It's a great way to travel!!!

Thanks for taking the time to visit her website and post your compliment! I'll pass your comments along to her. Yes, she has spent a lot of time learning to put it together and posting her photo slide shows after each trip and cruise.

Happy cruising! It's a great way to travel!!!

Amen to that!

Captioning is a real time-consumer. My website has more than 17,000 pictures on it so there is no way possible I could go thru and caption them all individually. I've started going into the XML file that defines the captions in Jalbum and putting in blanket comments for each album . . . an imperfect solution, but it does put some text on there for viewers and the search engines.

Is your wife coding all this by hand or using some application?