Robinson Speed Boat Tour?

tuffy0317

Has anyone been on Capt. Mike's Robinson Speed Boat Grand St. Maarten/St. Martin beach and snorkeling tour?

http://www.boat-charter-stmartin.com/show_tours.php?region_id=1

Seems like good bang for your buck, as it's 6 hours long and includes lunch. It's also appealing that each tour group is only 8-10 people.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you.

Has anyone been on Capt. Mike's Robinson Speed Boat Grand St. Maarten/St. Martin beach and snorkeling tour?

http://www.boat-charter-stmartin.com/show_tours.php?region_id=1

Seems like good bang for your buck, as it's 6 hours long and includes lunch. It's also appealing that each tour group is only 8-10 people.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you.

There is recent feedback for Robinson's Speed Boat Tours on Trip Advisor and at these links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017357&page=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1949931

We have booked Robinson's for August so I will be able to report on our experience at that time.

There is recent feedback for Robinson's Speed Boat Tours on Trip Advisor and at these links:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017357&page=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1949931

We have booked Robinson's for August so I will be able to report on our experience at that time.

Thanks - I was having trouble pulling those up for some reason. We're all booked for two weeks from now. I'll report back!

Thanks - I was having trouble pulling those up for some reason. We're all booked for two weeks from now. I'll report back!

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

Have a great trip!

Although my husband and I booked for Robinson's speedboat tours a couple months prior to our mid February date, we were assigned to Captain Sam. The tours (including Captain Bob) were identical and they rode in tandem. This was before Capt Mike got his bigger boat. It was the most incredible day; with two snorkel stops, lunch on Pinel Island, a dip at a private beach and watching the Maho planes. Having done Bernards tours the previous year, I wanted to do something different and it was! I also enjoyed the privacy of the tour with only 10 passengers. In fact there were 7 ships in port that day and we never hit a traffic jam or a crowd. Although 109 initially sounds high (especially if you have a family), when you factor in the private skipper, lunch, snorkeling, and unlimited beer, soda and water, its a great deal!!

I'm waiting for more report. I love the idea but teens want a lot of swim time. Do you have enough time to do much swim on Pinel. Maybe we be better to just do that. Was there time to shop before or after ?

I'm waiting for more report. I love the idea but teens want a lot of swim time. Do you have enough time to do much swim on Pinel. Maybe we be better to just do that. Was there time to shop before or after ?

There is swim time during the 2 snorkel stops about 45 minutes or more; if you eat quickly at Pinel (we didn't as we were drinking and socializing) you could definately swim there. They had the coolest inquinas on a hill near where we ate. There was a short swim time at another private beach which was amazing. We didn't want to get back in the boat but we had to in order to catch the jets at Maho. We did not swim at Maho.

The only place to shop was at Pinel Island. I didn't buy anything there as I could not find anything that locally made; plus everything was in Euros which inflated the price. (Check out the conversion rate before you go). We shopped a little right at the port before we walked over to the marina to catch the boat. The stores opened before 9am local time and we were supposed to meet at 9.30am. (we didn't leave until 10am). We even had enough time to walk into town upon our return. We arrived back at 4pm and all aboard time for us was at 5.30. The marina is a 10 minute walk at most about halfway to town and it was another 10 minutes to get into town. We shopped there about 30 minutes, got a little nervous about time and was onboard by 5pm. Just be aware how the ship time alligns with the local time. For us, it was the same but I heard some cruises don't change the time so ship may be one hour behind. If that is the case, you would have to be off very early but would have more time to be at port.

There is swim time during the 2 snorkel stops about 45 minutes or more; if you eat quickly at Pinel (we didn't as we were drinking and socializing) you could definately swim there. They had the coolest inquinas on a hill near where we ate. There was a short swim time at another private beach which was amazing. We didn't want to get back in the boat but we had to in order to catch the jets at Maho. We did not swim at Maho.

The only place to shop was at Pinel Island. I didn't buy anything there as I could not find anything that locally made; plus everything was in Euros which inflated the price. (Check out the conversion rate before you go). We shopped a little right at the port before we walked over to the marina to catch the boat. The stores opened before 9am local time and we were supposed to meet at 9.30am. (we didn't leave until 10am). We even had enough time to walk into town upon our return. We arrived back at 4pm and all aboard time for us was at 5.30. The marina is a 10 minute walk at most about halfway to town and it was another 10 minutes to get into town. We shopped there about 30 minutes, got a little nervous about time and was onboard by 5pm. Just be aware how the ship time alligns with the local time. For us, it was the same but I heard some cruises don't change the time so ship may be one hour behind. If that is the case, you would have to be off very early but would have more time to be at port.

on pinel island did you have to buy drinks or did they come with lunch? if they were extra, did they take US money or CC?

thanks!

on pinel island did you have to buy drinks or did they come with lunch? if they were extra, did they take US money or CC?

thanks!

Drinks are extra; we were not permitted to take our drinks from the boat to the restaraunt (understandably) They took cash, the price was in euros. I don't know if they take cc. I got a delicious strong pina colada $7; most of the others got bloody mary's. I believe they still go there for lunch; though some reviews suggested they went to a place on Grand Case. I would ask the captains whether they still eat on Pij\nel.

My family and I will be taking the tour on 4/18 ! I will let you know how it is when we return :) For any of you that have taken the tour, How much is appropriate to tip the captain ? My husband and I will be traveling with our 3 boys, ages 15,7 & 4.

My family and I will be taking the tour on 4/18 ! I will let you know how it is when we return :) For any of you that have taken the tour, How much is appropriate to tip the captain ? My husband and I will be traveling with our 3 boys, ages 15,7 & 4.

My husband and I gave Captain Sam $20 for the 2 of us. I generally don't tip when the operator is the owner; however, I wasn't sure if Captain Sam was contracted by Robinson's; plus we were so pleased we wanted to give him something to show our appreciation.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anyone who has done robinson's speed boat tour and Bernard's tour in this port? I am going back and forth between the two as I would like to see some of the town itself but also like snorkeling. Any recommendations for first time in this port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is there anyone who has done robinson's speed boat tour and Bernard's tour in this port? I am going back and forth between the two as I would like to see some of the town itself but also like snorkeling. Any recommendations for first time in this port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did Robinson's two weeks ago and loved it. Lots of great snorkeling and a really great way to spend the day. Note that you won't have any time to see the town - you get back in enough time to get back to the ship, buy nothing else.

I think it's well with the money.

We did Robinson's two weeks ago and loved it. Lots of great snorkeling and a really great way to spend the day. Note that you won't have any time to see the town - you get back in enough time to get back to the ship, buy nothing else.

I think it's well with the money.

When we did Robinson's we finished at 4pm and all aboard time was 5.30. We were able to walk into town, shop a little and get back around 5.15pm. There are also port shops that you can visit either right before or after the trip if you don't have time to go downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
Give us a report sounds fun but I think I would lime a little more beach time

There is one stop which you can snorkel or relax on the beach, but we were only there for about 20 minutes or so (largely because no one was seeing any turtles). You can also lounge on the beach at lunch. It's definitely not a "beach day" though (but still an awesome way to spend the day!)

• 1 month later...

Do not hesitate to book this independent excursion. The meeting place is a short walk form where the ships dock. Everyone is super friendly and well work the price. The highlight is snorkeling with the sea turtles!! When I return to St. Maarten, I will book with Robinson's again. It was a full day and it was a blast!

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I'm going to go ahead and book this. We will be here Christmas day 2014 and were looking for something to do as we figured a lot of the shops in town will be closed.

Already e mailed them to confirm that they will be doing the tour Christmas day.

Snorkelling with turtles and being on a beach Christmas day. Life does not get much better.

• 3 weeks later...
We did Capt Bob in June and he stated that he works with Robinson. We had people on our trip that had signed up for the Robinson trip.

So you think the tours are basically (or exactly) the same? I'm wondering which to book with, too. Does anyone know what time Robinson's tour leaves?

• 5 weeks later...

We had a wonderful day with Capt. Sam and Maelle just last week! We had a large group of 15 (teens and parents) and they took great care of us. We highly recommend this adventure if you like the water and some high speed fun. This is not a quiet relaxing boat ride so you should look elsewhere for that. This is a day of fast boat rides, snorkeling and a water, water,water. Its a little bit of everything and the perfect way to beat the heat on a hot August day in St Maarten. Capt. Sam even called to check the flight schedule so that we could be near Maho Beach when they landed and took off.

Michel the owner was very responsive to my emails and answered my numerous questions patiently and quickly. We had a change to our itinerary (due to Tropical Storm Bertha) and he was able to accommodate us and answered my emergency email right away. I was a little nervous about booking with a stranger but didn't need to be. All in all it was a great experience and I highly recommend it. Much more affordable than booking through the ship. This was one of the highlights of our trip.

A few tips: 1) beverages were not included with the lunch on the island so be sure to grab something from the well stocked cooler on the boat before getting off its a little bit of a pain to go back and forth to the boat from the beach. 2) Be prepared to get wet, really wet, in fact don't bother trying to wear anything but a bathing suit. Stow your clothes below deck. But . . . 3) I would highly advise some sort of swim shirt. Several of us got very sunburned despite reapplying sunscreen several times throughout the day. Because you are wet so much of the time, reapplying sunscreen was really hard. So wear a shirt that can get wet (especially while snorkeling) so the rest of your trip isn't uncomfortable.

We would definitely do this again. They are a great group of people and you won't be disappointed.