easter in new orleans

misslala

I'll be spending a day post cruise in NOLA with my DH and 3 kids. Any suggestions for a fun day on Easter Sunday? Anyone know any beautiful churches to possibly attend catholic mass? Any places we should east dinner at? I'm only there that one day and leave early Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

I'll be spending a day post cruise in NOLA with my DH and 3 kids. Any suggestions for a fun day on Easter Sunday? Anyone know any beautiful churches to possibly attend catholic mass? Any places we should east dinner at? I'm only there that one day and leave early Monday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

I'm not sure how fancy you were planning on going for dinner, but most restaurants run specials on Easter Sunday, so wherever you chose, I would definitely make reservations now.

My own personal favorite church in downtown New Orleans is St. Patrick's on Camp Street. I do not know the Mass times. But I do know that Easter is one of those days when everyone shows up to Mass, so it will be packed.

St Joseph's is really pretty and is a popular wedding venue since it has the longest aisle in the city.

http://www.stjosephchurch-no.org/

Another cool one is Immaculate Conception Jesuit Church

http://jesuitchurch.net/

St. Louis cathedral will be packed to the gills with every casual Catholic and tourist in the FQ.

http://stlouiscathedral.org/

Or for something completely different:

http://judeshrine.com/

This church is on Rampart Street at the edge of the French Quarter. The parishioners are a mixed bag of races and athnicities. There will be a Gospel choir, great music, and a very enthusiastic congregation.

The building itself is not remarkable. If you have time, stop in at St. Particks (2nd oldest church in the city) and Jesuit Church. St. Joseph is a little out of the way.

Restaurants (like the churches) will be packed, so make reservations early. Muriel's on Jackson Square is our favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I and the boss and his wife on a visit to New Orleans has breakfast at Brenan's on Easter Sunday. We are all Jewish so we got there before the church going folks. In the reception area milk punches and Bloody Marys were being handed out for those who needed one for their hangovers!! Food, as always, was fabulous. Make a reservation for after mass-the kids will love the meal. Be sure to get Bananas Foster, invented at Brenan's.

Glenn:cool:

My wife and I and the boss and his wife on a visit to New Orleans has breakfast at Brenan's on Easter Sunday. We are all Jewish so we got there before the church going folks. In the reception area milk punches and Bloody Marys were being handed out for those who needed one for their hangovers!! Food, as always, was fabulous. Make a reservation for after mass-the kids will love the meal. Be sure to get Bananas Foster, invented at Brenan's.

Glenn:cool:

Sorry, Brennan's has closed.

There are any number of Catholic churches in New Orleans, though the ones already named are excellent choices for those staying in the business district, French Quarter and Warehouse District areas. I will add St. Patrick's is a very traditional church. The Jesuit church across from the Roosevelt Hotel is a good choice.

What type of food do you like? I would strongly recommend making restaurant reservations for Eastern as soon as you can.

And yes, Brennan's has closed after decades in business. There was a family dispute.

Edited by Reggiefan