Black and White men's attire

gfsf

Will I be ok with a black suit, white shirt and black necktie in the dining room the evening of the black and white gala? I'd rather not pack the tux as we will continue traveling after the cruise. Thanks in advance.

Will I be ok with a black suit, white shirt and black necktie in the dining room the evening of the black and white gala? I'd rather not pack the tux as we will continue traveling after the cruise. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you will be fine - the Black and White Ball is actually irrelevant as the only requirement is to conform with the dress code in force on that evening. But from the sound of it you will be ok for both.

J

agreed. I used to tux up, but have given it up as a vanity. It sure makes packing lighter, particularly if there is any pre or post-cruise travel.

We're headed to London for a week and we'll return on the QM2. Tux was the first thing jettisoned.

The vast majority of men wear formal wear but, of course, suit and tie meets the code. On two of the crossings I was on there was one gentleman in white tie and tails on the black and white ball evening. One of them even had a top hat which he gave to the Queen's Grill maître d' Osman upon entering the restaurant.

Some of us like to dress up and some of just like to cruise. I can assure you that in a dark suit white shirt and nice tie you will fit in very well whichever catergory you are in:)

On reflection no black tie, funereal, apparently according to previous posters, so nice tie let SWMBO choose it for you

Edited by electra2008

You will look great. Most people can't tell a tux from a black suit unless you're standing next to them. And thank you for making the effort to dress-up. It is really appreciated by those of us who love the look of the ship on formal nights.

I too was wondering about the dress code and wether a tux was required or just a suit would do.

I would like to dress for the formal nights in a proper tux so is it possible to hire while cruising as is possible on other cruise lines?:D

I too was wondering about the dress code and wether a tux was required or just a suit would do.

I would like to dress for the formal nights in a proper tux so is it possible to hire while cruising as is possible on other cruise lines?:D

It is but ressources and sizes are limited.

It is but ressources and sizes are limited.
And for the cost of hiring a tux on board (from $90 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights) you can buy one of your own.

The vast majority of men wear formal wear but, of course, suit and tie meets the code. On two of the crossings I was on there was one gentleman in white tie and tails on the black and white ball evening. One of them even had a top hat which he gave to the Queen's Grill maître d' Osman upon entering the restaurant.

Good to see Osman is still there. We found him to be the most professional staff member on any cruiseline.

We'd checked Tux availability aboard the QM2. It's first come, first served with a limited supply on-hand. If you want a tux, I'd not count rental aboard unless you've got a dark suit back-up and will feel comfortable in it (I do).

In theory, I get the Titanic Reenactment crowd aboard the QM2, and I don't mind dressing up (despite my grousing), but it sure puts an expensive crimp in pre- and post- cruise travel, particularly if you like to travel light by Eurail. One's not whimsically hopping on and off a train for sightseeing with a full cruise kit and three Sherpas to tote your bags (and then where do you put the Sherpas up?). It's more like a military maneuver when tacked onto a cruise.

And then there are the airline fees for extra and overweight baggage. We'd also explored Cunard's White Star shipping and found it pretty expensive--about $250 to get 30 lbs of formal kit (mine and her's) over.

It's as if one needs to plan two trips to Europe. One for the cruise and then another one for real sightseeing. My systems analyst mind rebels at the inefficiency.

However: A few months ago on this list I read that if you have a few days in Southampton, there is an excellent men's store that does a brisk business in Tux sales. Search through the list for formal and/or tuxedo and I'm sure the name will pop.

We'd checked Tux availability aboard the QM2. It's first come, first served with a limited supply on-hand. If you want a tux, I'd not count rental aboard unless you've got a dark suit back-up and will feel comfortable in it (I do).

In theory, I get the Titanic Reenactment crowd aboard the QM2, and I don't mind dressing up (despite my grousing), but it sure puts an expensive crimp in pre- and post- cruise travel, particularly if you like to travel light by Eurail. One's not whimsically hopping on and off a train for sightseeing with a full cruise kit and three Sherpas to tote your bags (and then where do you put the Sherpas up?). It's more like a military maneuver when tacked onto a cruise.

And then there are the airline fees for extra and overweight baggage. We'd also explored Cunard's White Star shipping and found it pretty expensive--about $250 to get 30 lbs of formal kit (mine and her's) over.

It's as if one needs to plan two trips to Europe. One for the cruise and then another one for real sightseeing. My systems analyst mind rebels at the inefficiency.

However: A few months ago on this list I read that if you have a few days in Southampton, there is an excellent men's store that does a brisk business in Tux sales. Search through the list for formal and/or tuxedo and I'm sure the name will pop.

I will take my own suit and a tux (once purchased) and look into having them sent home once the cruise portion is over (South Africa for me). Even if it costs $200 in postage, it seems cheaper than the rental option.:D

Do make sure to have an expandable waist built into the pants!

Definitely, at first I was thinking you were joking, but then reflecting on what happens with my weight when I cruise, I may well need to have expandable waist band if two cruises are too close together.:D

... I may well need to have expandable waist band if two cruises are too close together.:D
You may need that expandable waist band if the first cruise is longer than two meals. My tux, which I bought for our son's wedding 17 years ago and which I've worn on QM2 for the last ten years (and no where else in that time, come to think of it), has an adjustable waist band. Believe it or not, I haven't had to make any great adjustment in all that time, but it's comforting to know that I can if need be.

You may need that expandable waist band if the first cruise is longer than two meals. My tux, which I bought for our son's wedding 17 years ago and which I've worn on QM2 for the last ten years (and no where else in that time, come to think of it), has an adjustable waist band. Believe it or not, I haven't had to make any great adjustment in all that time, but it's comforting to know that I can if need be.

I am sure that everyone of my cruises will be longer than two meals, but who knows.:D

That is the perfect description! We will be flying straight to NY to board the QM2 for a crossing at the beginning of 30 plus days of European travel.

For the cruise we will be dressing, his dinner jacket, dark suit, blazer etc, and my complementary gowns and shoes yadayadayada...

Once we hit land it will be a different story. The blazer and a few light weight dresses suitable for a dressy dinner in Paris or Rome and otherwise, street clothes.

The White Star Service seemed exorbitant. Himself is looking into shipping a box home, via ups on our business account, or thru another shipper.

Might be a good business plan, setting up in NY or Southampton as a luggage shipper. Meet the ship with a van, collect luggage from disembarking passengers, ship it home for them for a reasonable rate. doing it bundled in volume by sea, maybe collect up enough for a few pallets at a time? I think people would be ok with getting things back slowly. They are going to be traveling anyway!

Or let's start a self help society. I'll meet someone in NY on the morning of Aug 27th and take their bags BACK to England with me if someone boarding at Southampton on Sept 4th will return mine to NY!

Sara

Or let's start a self help society. I'll meet someone in NY on the morning of Aug 27th and take their bags BACK to England with me if someone boarding at Southampton on Sept 4th will return mine to NY!

Sara

I believe that you have the makings of a great idea here, Sara. We too are boarding QM2 on Aug 27th, but we're staying on after Southampton (9/4) to Zeebrugge (9/5), Cherbourg (9/7), Southampton again (9/8), and back to NYC on Sep 15. So how much stuff would you want us to bring back for you and how many bottles of wine do you think it's worth?

Paul

I believe that you have the makings of a great idea here, Sara. We too are boarding QM2 on Aug 27th, but we're staying on after Southampton (9/4) to Zeebrugge (9/5), Cherbourg (9/7), Southampton again (9/8), and back to NYC on Sep 15. So how much stuff would you want us to bring back for you and how many bottles of wine do you think it's worth?

Paul

*Cracking up*

Ok Paul, it's one box, all addressed and labeled and ready for drop at UPS when you get back to NY!

sarafinadh

And we will be in Paris, Florence and Venice, mostly, and could find you swag at any of those locations! I like Italian wine myself, but your choice ; -)

at

Anyone want stuff schlepped from NY to Southampton on Aug 27th? I believe in that pay it forward thang ; -)

yahoo dot com

Sara

Edited by sarafinadh

Sara, on second thought the regulations of the Customs and Border Protection people may affect your excellent scheme. You know, things like customs declarations, "Did you pack your own bag?", and "Are you carrying anything for anyone else?". Details, details that are worth considering over drinks in the Commodore Club.

Sara, on second thought the regulations of the Customs and Border Protection people may affect your excellent scheme. You know, things like customs declarations, "Did you pack your own bag?", and "Are you carrying anything for anyone else?". Details, details that are worth considering over drinks in the Commodore Club.

Damn it, just when I was going to offer an Australian service.:eek: