Beach close to the cruise terminal

toontoy

Hi

I am trying to find a beach close to the cruise terminal. We are on the Disney Magic this fall and are looking for a relaxed beach day and wondering about any suggestions.

Thanks

Nathan

The closest beaches would be at either North Frigate Bay or South Frigate Bay. They are really not walkable. A taxi ride would be about $12-15 each way for 1 to 4 passengers. The Marriott is on North Frigate Bay & Timothy Beach Resort is on South Frigate Bay. They are about 15 min or less from Port Zante the cruise terminal area.

It seems that the cruiselines either do not give much information about their ports of call or that passengers are not looking for that information prior to booking their cruise or after they have done so. In this age of information on the internet much information can be had with a little investigation.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I am trying to find a beach close to the cruise terminal. We are on the Disney Magic this fall and are looking for a relaxed beach day and wondering about any suggestions.

Thanks

Nathan

As other's have said you need a taxi to get to any of their beaches. One beach we enjoyed a lot is Carambola Beach. Carambola is located on South Friars Beach, 15 mins. from the port, beach and views are beautiful here. Carambola is a bit upscale, very tranquil, with a beach bar and restaurant. Food quality, drinks and service was very good, a bit pricey.

Carambola is fairly new, they have shower facilities, daybeds, kayaks and gaining popularity with cruisers and tourist alike. Beach is clean, with soft white sand, no seaweed, water is calm, not rocky so no water shoes are needed. Other beaches in St. Kitts (Cockleshell and South Frigate Bay) are rocky and you need water shoes to go into the water.

You can take a walk down to the other end of the beach and you'll pass a few Tiki huts and a place at the end of the beach called Shipwreck Bar and Grill. This is good for an alternative lower cost if your on a tight budget and also has good food. Beach is small and narrow at Shipwreck and the sand is partially black and can be very hot. Their lounge chairs are old and they have thatched umbrellas. That beach was also very crowded when we took our walk. Shipwreck is also very popular with tourists and cruisers.

Plenty of taxis at the port to take you to any beach or just sightseeing. You can ask the same driver for a return pick up back to the ship where ever you decide to go. There were plenty of taxi drivers in the lobby of Carambola for your return to the ship.

The Marriott sells day passes for $35 in their lobby.

As other's have said you need a taxi to get to any of their beaches. One beach we enjoyed a lot is Carambola Beach. Carambola is located on South Friars Beach, 15 mins. from the port, beach and views are beautiful here. Carambola is a bit upscale, very tranquil, with a beach bar and restaurant. Food quality, drinks and service was very good, a bit pricey.

Carambola is fairly new, they have shower facilities, daybeds, kayaks and gaining popularity with cruisers and tourist alike. Beach is clean, with soft white sand, no seaweed, water is calm, not rocky so no water shoes are needed. Other beaches in St. Kitts (Cockleshell and South Frigate Bay) are rocky and you need water shoes to go into the water.

You can take a walk down to the other end of the beach and you'll pass a few Tiki huts and a place at the end of the beach called Shipwreck Bar and Grill. This is good for an alternative lower cost if your on a tight budget and also has good food. Beach is small and narrow at Shipwreck and the sand is partially black and can be very hot. Their lounge chairs are old and they have thatched umbrellas. That beach was also very crowded when we took our walk. Shipwreck is also very popular with tourists and cruisers.

Plenty of taxis at the port to take you to any beach or just sightseeing. You can ask the same driver for a return pick up back to the ship where ever you decide to go. There were plenty of taxi drivers in the lobby of Carambola for your return to the ship.

The Marriott sells day passes for $35 in their lobby.

Just wondering what the Marriott connection is? Is this beach the one for the Marriott?

Or is the Marriott day pass just another suggestion you are offering?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wondering what the Marriott connection is? Is this beach the one for the Marriott?

Or is the Marriott day pass just another suggestion you are offering?

Have not been to the Marriott it is just another suggestion for you as the beaches are free in St. Kitts. A day pass at the Marriott is available at their front desk for $35 USD per person and gives you access to the pools, chairs, umbrella & restaurants and the beach which has chairs and cabanas. The restrooms located poolside are nice enough for a quick change of clothes.

Our favorite beach is Carambola.

The Marriott is on North Frigate Bay, which is the Atlantic side of the island. It can be a lot rougher than the Caribbean side(South Frigate Bay) You have to go over the hill to get to South Friars Bay home of Carambola & Shipwreck and other beach bar/restaurants.

Thanks for the info. I assume carambola will have its fair share of beach vendors?

Also can any supply the the specifics of transportation to carambola? I see you posted taxis are plentiful so that's good.

What is the cost for carambola? I assume cash not credit cards.

Taxi for 3 would be our first choice

Also the return process. Are taxis hanging around?

Thanks. We are well travelled but these ports are new to us and this trip will just be me a 2 college dds so costs are less and I am willing to go for cabs but just want to not worry and transport issues

Edited by luvtheships

I believe that vendors would not be a real problem at Carambola. I do not believe that any taxi/tour operators take plastic for payment and really prefer take US dollars for payment. Taxis should be readily available for your return to the port.

I believe that vendors would not be a real problem at Carambola. I do not believe that any taxi/tour operators take plastic for payment and really prefer take US dollars for payment. Taxis should be readily available for your return to the port.

Thanks.

If we don't do a beach day do you have any other interesting ideas?

Dds love history and natural sites but I don't think a walking or bus tour is what we are looking for.

Maybe sailing?

Still researching. Thanks again

Here's a link to the beach day we're planning on St. Kitts: S. Friars Beach. It's a compilation of information I've found on the internet.

It seems that the Carambola will work perfectly for us (4 adults - 1 swimmer/snorkeler, 2 swimmers, and 1 non-swimmer. All of us love to relax on chaises in the shade on a beautiful beach with drinks, snacks, and restrooms available.

Here's a link to the beach day we're planning on St. Kitts: S. Friars Beach. It's a compilation of information I've found on the internet.

It seems that the Carambola will work perfectly for us (4 adults - 1 swimmer/snorkeler, 2 swimmers, and 1 non-swimmer. All of us love to relax on chaises in the shade on a beautiful beach with drinks, snacks, and restrooms available.

If your interested in Carambola and if there will be other ships in port with you, I highly suggest to email (dsharpe@carambolabeachclub.com) to reserve your loungers and an umbrella and indicated your day of arrival. If more than 1 ship in port, you may not be able to get any chairs and an umbrella.

The cost of 2 chairs and an umbrella is $30 total which you pay when you arrive and this beach has become very popular. Plenty of taxis at the pier and in the lobby of Carambola for your return to the ship. We went there as part of a tour so I can not comment on taxi prices to the beach, I would guess about $5-$7 pp.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Thanks.

If we don't do a beach day do you have any other interesting ideas?

Dds love history and natural sites but I don't think a walking or bus tour is what we are looking for.

Maybe sailing?

Still researching. Thanks again

I know your not interested in a bus tour, but loads of history and natural sites can be seen taking a tour with Mr Grey. They are highly recommended on tripadvisor. Their website is www dot thenfordgrey dot com.

The only vendor we saw that day were a few people asking if you wanted a massage with aloe, did not see any other vendors. We politely said no and they were fine with that and walked away.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising