Complete Newbie - MSC Fantasia Med cruise booked

Kizzabel

Hi all

I am a complete and total newbie and am looking for your expertise!

We are 1st time cruisers (myself, husband and kids aged 7 and 10) and have booked a Western Med cruise for April 2016 on the MSC Fantasia out of Barcelona. I have so many questions, chances are I will drive you guys nuts!

Any info on what to expect will be gratefully received!

We have a fantasica package in a balcony cabin and I'm keen to find out how dining works?

Where do the additional charges come in? We have the later dining time chosen.

What can the kids expect - both would be in the Junior kids club age ranges?

We also have the allegrissimo drinks package - is there anywhere we can find info on whats included?

Also we don't have a credit card - is this a big issue? We have prepaid gratuities.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We have not sailed with MSC. You can read all about the Fantastica package at the MSC website here:

http://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

I would also suggest going to the MSC forum at Cruise Critic to ask about it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

You will need to have a credit card when you check in as all of your on board expenses will be linked up with this card when you check-in. These will be expenditures like cocktails, soda, bingo, excursions, souvenirs anything that you purchase aboard the ship.

You can have cash when you check in but, this means traveling around with a large sum of money. Another alternative is to use a debit card but, I am never comfortable with this as a form of payment while on holiday.

You will have plenty of time to get a credit card before your trip, it's much easier to use that when you check in at the cruise pier.

Here is a link to the MSC Fantasia Roll Call forum. Look for the date of your cruise and join the roll call. Here you will meet other Cruise Critic passengers like yourself that are booked on this cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=970

Jonathan

Hi all

I am a complete and total newbie and am looking for your expertise!

We are 1st time cruisers (myself, husband and kids aged 7 and 10) and have booked a Western Med cruise for April 2016 on the MSC Fantasia out of Barcelona. I have so many questions, chances are I will drive you guys nuts!

Any info on what to expect will be gratefully received!

We have a fantasica package in a balcony cabin and I'm keen to find out how dining works?

Where do the additional charges come in? We have the later dining time chosen.

What can the kids expect - both would be in the Junior kids club age ranges?

We also have the allegrissimo drinks package - is there anywhere we can find info on whats included?

Also we don't have a credit card - is this a big issue? We have prepaid gratuities.

Thanks in advance!

With no credit card, what would you do in an emergency? Does your health insurance include coverage outside your home country? Do get a credit card and, if you're hoping to travel regularly, consider one with trip protection elements (e.g., United Airlines Explorer Visa).

Sorry for the reality check. But, there is much to do over the next few months - In particular arranging for any excursions or independent touring involving antiquities with the best arrangements going to folks who pre-purchase tix.

Don't know what ports you'll visit. But, Rick Steves' Med Ports Guide will provide a good overview. If your cruise ends at Civitavecchia, consider a few extra days in Rome.

If you have a good travel agent, s/he should be able to answer many of your questions. Take with a grain of salt what you read here on CC.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We have not sailed with MSC. You can read all about the Fantastica package at the MSC website here:

http://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

I would also suggest going to the MSC forum at Cruise Critic to ask about it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

You will need to have a credit card when you check in as all of your on board expenses will be linked up with this card when you check-in. These will be expenditures like cocktails, soda, bingo, excursions, souvenirs anything that you purchase aboard the ship.

You can have cash when you check in but, this means traveling around with a large sum of money. Another alternative is to use a debit card but, I am never comfortable with this as a form of payment while on holiday.

You will have plenty of time to get a credit card before your trip, it's much easier to use that when you check in at the cruise pier.

Here is a link to the MSC Fantasia Roll Call forum. Look for the date of your cruise and join the roll call. Here you will meet other Cruise Critic passengers like yourself that are booked on this cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=970

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. There is no roll call for my dates yet!

Thanks for your advice. It was more so the drinks package drinks list than the fantastica package I wanted to enquire about. I have looked at the fantastica inclusions :)

As regards a CC I think I will give it a miss. I can just do a cash deposit which will suit us better. Agreed with the debit card, we see too many people having money held for an age on debit cards!

Thanks again for your help. I will try the MSC forum.

With no credit card, what would you do in an emergency? Does your health insurance include coverage outside your home country? Do get a credit card and, if you're hoping to travel regularly, consider one with trip protection elements (e.g., United Airlines Explorer Visa).

I have my debit card for emergencies - we can do a cash deposit. I will be adding single trip insurance which has a cruise connection cover etc etc. I am in Ireland so the card mentioned isn't an option

Sorry for the reality check. But, there is much to do over the next few months - In particular arranging for any excursions or independent touring involving antiquities with the best arrangements going to folks who pre-purchase tix.

I have visited Palma, Barcelona and Naple previously so I don't find any of this daunting!! I need to look at the full excursions list that MSC offer and see what works for us. Longer walking trips are out as my husband while mobile, suffers with back pain after walking long distances. Don't worry I will fully do all of my research :)

Don't know what ports you'll visit. But, Rick Steves' Med Ports Guide will provide a good overview. If your cruise ends at Civitavecchia, consider a few extra days in Rome.

Unfortunately no stop at Civitavecchia but we think we might stay an extra day in Barcelona to explore properly, its been 7 years since we lasted visited

If you have a good travel agent, s/he should be able to answer many of your questions. Take with a grain of salt what you read here on CC.

Thanks. I have an amazing travel agent but I love to do as much of the planning as possible. I'm a seasoned DLP visitor so I love all the details and planning.

Thanks so much for your advice :)

As regards a CC I think I will give it a miss. I can just do a cash deposit which will suit us better. Agreed with the debit card, we see too many people having money held for an age on debit cards!

Yep, a "hold" is placed on debit cards & even after the due sum has been paid it takes up to two weeks for the hold to be released, which can screw you up with not being able to withdraw that money until the hold is released. Applies to credit cards too, but most folk have a credit limit way over their spend so it tends not to be a problem.

But cash is problematic too, because ship's currency is euros.

If you pay in any other currency (I'm guessing you're from North America) you'll be heavily stung by ship's exchange rates. All ships, including US ships, give very poor exchange rates.

The exchange rate you get from US banks will be better, and the exchange rates from ATMs (and usually some exchange bureaux) in the euro ports even better than that (use debit card, not credit card in ATMs or you'll be charged interest).

But you then have to do the maths to figure how many euros you'll need - a shortfall means getting more at short notice or topping up with dollars at that poor exchange rate, having too may euros left-over means a double dose of poor exchange rates to turn the excess back to dollars.

A credit card resolves all these problems & gives you the best exchange rates of all. You can always take out a credit card just for the cruise, & destroy it when it's done that job. Pay the CC bill when it's due & you'll not have to pay any interest.

By the same token, don't use ship's exchange bureau for your shore spending money - you'll get a much better rate from other sources.

And if you do use a credit or debit card to pay your on-board account, MSC will ask if you want them to convert from euros to the currency of your card, "for your convenience" :rolleyes: Decline their kind offer, allow your card to be charged in euros because your card issuer will exchange at wholesale exchange rates.

JB :)

Edited to add.

What a silly-billy.:rolleyes:

Just noticed you're from Ireland.

Hence no currency exchange woes. :)

Hence I wasted my time wearing out my typing finger :D

Edited by John Bull

Yep, a "hold" is placed on debit cards & even after the due sum has been paid it takes up to two weeks for the hold to be released, which can screw you up with not being able to withdraw that money until the hold is released. Applies to credit cards too, but most folk have a credit limit way over their spend so it tends not to be a problem.

But cash is problematic too, because ship's currency is euros.

If you pay in any other currency (I'm guessing you're from North America) you'll be heavily stung by ship's exchange rates. All ships, including US ships, give very poor exchange rates.

The exchange rate you get from US banks will be better, and the exchange rates from ATMs (and usually some exchange bureaux) in the euro ports even better than that (use debit card, not credit card in ATMs or you'll be charged interest).

But you then have to do the maths to figure how many euros you'll need - a shortfall means getting more at short notice or topping up with dollars at that poor exchange rate, having too may euros left-over means a double dose of poor exchange rates to turn the excess back to dollars.

A credit card resolves all these problems & gives you the best exchange rates of all. You can always take out a credit card just for the cruise, & destroy it when it's done that job. Pay the CC bill when it's due & you'll not have to pay any interest.

By the same token, don't use ship's exchange bureau for your shore spending money - you'll get a much better rate from other sources.

And if you do use a credit or debit card to pay your on-board account, MSC will ask if you want them to convert from euros to the currency of your card, "for your convenience" :rolleyes: Decline their kind offer, allow your card to be charged in euros because your card issuer will exchange at wholesale exchange rates.

JB :)

Edited to add.

What a silly-billy.:rolleyes:

Just noticed you're from Ireland.

Hence no currency exchange woes. :)

Hence I wasted my time wearing out my typing finger :D

Sorry JB I should have mentioned - I'm in Ireland so no big deal for me to bring cash as we won't have to mess about with changing currency. Thankfully!!

And don't forget to check out your EHIC cards....they do have a date on, which we always check before travelling. This will give reciprocal care in the EU, but you probably know that already. ;)