solo traveler w/rollator & cane seat

cruse2loose

I will be doing the first 21 day Journey cruise on the Dream out of New Orleans in October. My health has worsened since I booked the cruise.

I am taking a rollator that folds almost flat and a cane seat, which is 3 legged cane with a flip out seat. That will cover all situations.

I will also have a small rolling bag with my cpap machine & medicines.

My question is, should I check the rollator with my luggage? Take the rolling bag and cane with me and I am getting wheelchair assist as the ramp is just too steep to walk it.

I am so glad I found this group and appreciate your help and assistance :)

I have used a rollator in the past. I now have a TravelScoot and for the first time on my last trip I checked it with luggage. I was very worried about the brake wires getting broken. I got, from the hardware store the long gray tube foam used to cover pipes from freezing. It is split already down the middle $1.00 each. I then cut to length and zip tied them on. Zip tied it to hold together. It traveled just fine. Not only on the plane but also on the ship before it was delivered. I will be doing it again in the future.

You only have the rollator and you will need it while you are waiting for the plane to go buy something or the restroom. The attendant will be off taking care of others and will return to take you to the entrance. From baggage check in I have had wheelchair assistance many times and I just sit in the wheelchair and hold it upright folded in front of me. Your small bag could even go on your lap or the attendant will take care of it. Your seat cane can go with you too.

I'm sure others will have other ideas but this is what works for me. Have fun!

I am not flying, will only be cruising on Carnival Dream.

Either I can fold up the rollator and have it and my rolling bag and cane/seat rest on my legs as I board the ship in a wheelchair, or I can check the rollator with my big suitcase.

Thanks for any help anyone can give :confused:

I am not flying, will only be cruising on Carnival Dream.

Either I can fold up the rollator and have it and my rolling bag and cane/seat rest on my legs as I board the ship in a wheelchair, or I can check the rollator with my big suitcase.

Thanks for any help anyone can give :confused:

I would take it all on with me. That way, should you need the rollator before the luggage is delivered, you will have it. Why risk it being lost or damaged? The attendants will help you with whatever you need while embarking.

If you are asking about (dis)embarking the ship only, absolutely, positively, take the cane, rollator, and CPAP with you. Do not let them out of your sight. You will most likely need the rollator when you board. The CPAP should not be handed over where there's a chance it could be tossed around. And at this point, the cane is easy to add to the pile.

Once in the wheelchair, the stewards will help out in whatever ways necessary to get you---and your equipment---aboard.

take the cane, rollator, and CPAP with you. Do not let them out of your sight. You will most likely need the rollator when you board.

Good advice! Thank you.

Debating about renting a scooter. Not sure if I need it on shipboard as last year on the "Z" I got along with a walker and cane. But the tours such as the Alhambra may require it - understand the entrance from the parking lot is a bit more than I can comfortably walk!

Looking forward to meeting you on the NA in October.

Aloha,

Tom

I will be doing the first 21 day Journey cruise on the Dream out of New Orleans in October. My health has worsened since I booked the cruise.

I am taking a rollator that folds almost flat and a cane seat, which is 3 legged cane with a flip out seat. That will cover all situations.

I will also have a small rolling bag with my cpap machine & medicines.

My question is, should I check the rollator with my luggage? Take the rolling bag and cane with me and I am getting wheelchair assist as the ramp is just too steep to walk it.

I am so glad I found this group and appreciate your help and assistance :)

Personally would not check the walker as luggage at the airport or at the port. You risk the rollator being damage.

Travel solo all the time . Though I travel with a foldable cane I do bring a large 4wheel rollator with a fold down seat. This is my suggestion.

• Depending on the size of the suit case you're using , If large enough breakdown the cane seat into 2 pieces and pack in suite case. ( use to do this before I bought a foldable cane. If it doesn't fit it can be laid across you lap along with your carry-on.
  • For the airport, embarkation and disembarkation. Place your small carryon and cane if not in suit case on you lap once seated in the wheelchair. Fold the rollator than lift ( ask attendance for assistance if necessary) and place it upright resting on your feet while you than just steady it by holding it as the attendant pushes the wheelchair. Works every time for me !

Good advice! Thank you.

Debating about renting a scooter. Not sure if I need it on shipboard as last year on the "Z" I got along with a walker and cane. But the tours such as the Alhambra may require it - understand the entrance from the parking lot is a bit more than I can comfortably walk!

Looking forward to meeting you on the NA in October.

Aloha,

Tom

If you do rent a scooter it's important to note the tour vehicle may not accommodate a scooter. This is more often the case once outside the USA.