amount of picture memory?

165Cindy

I hope not a silly question, but how much memory would you take for a one week cruise? I will not be downloading while traveling, but I can review every night and delete bad pics.

I have one gig, was thinking of getting a 5xxK card also? anyone have an opinion on this?

1 GB will hold about 1000 pictures at 1 MB each (high quality for a 3 megapixel camera, somewhat less for the super high quality shots). Heaven knows there are plenty of things to take pictures of in AK. I usually take three 512 MB cards, but I also download into laptop and then into zip drive daily as well.

We use a Sony F717 camera. We have a 1 gig memory stick, 2 255mb memory sticks, and 2 128mb memory sticks. We've never had a problem with pictures. As you said, you can delete the bad ones in your cabin when you have a chance to review them.

Tim

I have a 5.0 mp camera. I set it to take my pictures at the largest possible size. I took 2.5 gig with me. We were gone 18 days, and to be fair I took a full card whale watching, but I ended up with half of a 256 card left. I didn't go through and delete any until I got home. I didn't want to have to worry about running out of space. It worked out perfectly for us.

I have a 8 Megapixel Canon Digital Rebel. I am taking 3 1 gig cards. I always shoot at the highest resolution. I am taking my laptop to download too. I am so excited. It's our first cruise!

Mary

Like the others, I carry more--over 1.5 GB worth of storage. But I have to say that IMO your 1 GB card should be more than sufficient for typical (or even frequent) photo use over a 7-day cruise. So unless you are also taking lots of videos too, I really think you have sufficient storage. Also, you can always buy the most common types of storage cards in port stores or onboard if you REALLY get desperate.

1 gig is just right, not sure if you have a 5 to 8 Megapixel camera, but if you set it to Low or Medium settings you can get close to 2000 pictures, at Max settings 800 to 1000 pictures, Adverage picture taking per day is 75 to 125, I probably delete 50% of them.

Last time I went on a cruise I took 2 cards and got the ship's photo booth people to burn the photos on one card onto a CD while I used the other. Not too expensive a permanant record to take home (and lighter and easier than lugging a laptop around).

I wouldn't recommend taking pictures on low or medium setting. I used to do that too, but then I realized, what is the point of having a camera that has a higher megapixel if you don't use it. Even if you don't plan on printing your photos at a large size, the quality will be better, and if you have to crop some of it out, again it will come out better. It is worth it to just buy the extra camera cards. :)

My camera goes up to just over 5 megapixels and I never change it from that. Used to, but for enlargements that you have zoomed in on, it doesn't have the quality.

I think I will just get an extra gig card. About $70 at Sam's, so not a huge deal.

I'm taking 2 1-gig cards for my 8 megapixel camera. Like you, I plan to delete at night, but as a backup, once I get about 500 mb of photos that are "keepers", I'll have the onboard photo shop burn them to CD. (Someone said they were about $15 to do).(I always shoot at highest res..unless it might just be "snapshot' type of photos like of the cabin, various ship rooms, etc. to just show folks.)

Happy Sailing!

Jan

1 week to go (Volendam)

Since there are some digital camera experts here, I have a question. I have a 5 megapixel Canon. The compression is set at Superfine, the resolution is Large (2592x1994 pixels). Whenever I download pictures or attach them to an email they are huge. Can I change the resolution and still get good quality pictures? I agree that it's not worth taking a picture if you won't get the best. Thanks!

Since there are some digital camera experts here, I have a question. I have a 5 megapixel Canon. The compression is set at Superfine, the resolution is Large (2592x1994 pixels). Whenever I download pictures or attach them to an email they are huge. Can I change the resolution and still get good quality pictures? I agree that it's not worth taking a picture if you won't get the best. Thanks!
Resolution and quality are directly proportional so don't lower your resolution if you care about picture quality, plan to do any major editing or printing large formats photos. Assuming you have sufficient storage on both your camera and computer, it's always best to shoot at the highest possible resolution, and edit and manage the photos on the desktop. Any decent photo editing software will also allow you to automatically "down-resolution" photos so you can email them friends or post them to the web (both of which are candidates for lower resolution images). For example, I shoot pics at 4 Megapixel and my stored images vary from 1 - 1.8 MB. However when I need to send pics to friends to view, I convert and email them JPGs that are usually smaller than 64KB each in one step.

Hi,

I asked the same question a little over a month ago.

Do a google search for a product called roadstor. Read up on it. It fits in the palm of your hand. It takes multiple kinds of memory cards, and burns your pics onto a cd that slides into it. Check it out. If you like it, go to EBay and you can probably bid on one and get a refurbised unit for about $60.

That's what I did.

Al

I'm not clear what is gained from burning CDs from your storage cards. The cards are tiny, relatively cheap and are no more or less likely to lose your data than CDs. So it makes more sense to me to have a whole bunch of tiny storage cards than to have just 1 or 2 cards and have to carry a notebook computer or other gadget (and CDs) to burn CDs. While I do understand that serious photographers can use their notebook computers to do onboard photo editing, tagging, management, etc., I don't know why anyone would bring a pure CD-burning device. I don't see spending $100 for a Roadstor when anyone can spend $120 for four 512KB SD cards!

Well,

Roadstor, burns the cd, and with the supplied cables can then run a slide show on the TV in your cabin, provided it's a comparativly new TV with the inputs that most now have. You then actually get to see/enjoy/omigawd your shots that night.

This may or may not be important. We took two 1 gig cards + roadstor.

Worked for us, may not for others.

Your Software ZOOM BROWSER EX Ver. 3.2.1 will do that for you, when you use Zoom Browser to download the pictures from the Memory card and email, it will ask you if you want to downsize them for email, thats how I do it and it works great.

Terpnut, I agree, I can't see the value of buying a CD burner to take with me, but $15 to get my 512Mb card burned onto a CD by the photoshop people seemed better value than buying a new card

I don't mean to belabor this issue, but I still don't understand the value proposition by CD proponents. That $15 CD is bulkier, very fragile and, once burned, can't be reused (i.e. it's read-only). But the $30 card with nearly the same capacity can be directly used by your camera anytime, can be used over and over again, and costs just an extra $15.

Simple answer to that, Terpnut, here in Australia a good quality 512 SD card is closer to $A100. Maybe I will buy new cheper cards when I get to Alaska.
They won't be cheap in Alaska or most retailers for that matter--I order all computer accessories and supplies via internet-based etailers such as newegg.com or Tiger Direct!

Archived