Neutral Density Filter? Remote Shutter Switch? Tips?

TLCOhio

Appreciate the past tips, insights and expertise from those "stars" on this CC Photo Board. Getting ready in eight days to depart to Barbados for a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean back-to-back sailing over 26 days.

In getting my photo equipment ready during the past week, I picked up at the camera store a neutral density filter for some better waterfall shots, a remote shutter switch for my Nikon D7100 and a clamp/table pod combo piece of gear to make "selfies" and other types of shots easier to accomplish on a ship.

QUESTIONS??: For the neutral density filter, what are some other uses/tips/ideas in addition to getting better waterfall shots with this filter? Some "slowing down" can be accomplished with a lower ISO level, but any other insights to use or seek with this filter "tool"? What added creative thoughts for using a remote shutter switch. With the clamp/table pod, it is fair small and easy to use in a variety of ways. Trying to lessen the need to lug, set-up a full-sized tripod, etc.

Appreciate any tips and/or other suggestions on must-haves items in connect with this type of a trip up the Amazon and around on a number of smaller, less-visited Caribbean islands, including Devil's Island, the Dutch ABC's, Dominica, St. Barts, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 93,138 views for this posting.

I assume you have a "variable ND" filter. Which brand did you get?

Here's an idea.... ever try to take a picture and wanted wandering crowds of people to be excluded? With a camera on a tripod, just setup your variable ND filter camera with a long exposure.... people will mysteriously disappear from the image unless they stop.

Some variable ND will mess up the autofocus. You might want to focus first before installing the filter.

Sent from the Blackberry Passport w/ Snap

ND filters have what I'd consider to be a pretty simple use case: whenever you can't achieve the long shutter speed and/or thin DoF you want, you have too much light and the only way left to throw some away is an ND filter.

As far as remote shutter releases, for me they come down to a short list of use cases: "critical work" where absolute stability is essential, camera in position where button is hard to reach, remote camera where I won't be shooting, or a couple other "technical" situations not relevant to cruising. It can be as simple as a low camera and I don't want to kneel down after I get it set up, or a camera on a monopod so I can hold it up high.

Variable ND is a great tool but may take some experimenting since maximum metered exposure is usually 30s. A single variable ND can cost as much as three regular ones but provides way more in-between options as well as a greater maximum density than all but a few specialized units.

Remote shutter is really useful if you want to be in the photo but for steady release, the 2s or 10s timer built into the camera's functions will provide you with plenty of time for the vibrations from pressing the shutter to subside.

Dave

If you have a variable ND filter, try shots with at several different shutter speeds. You may find that the maximum ND setting gives you more of the water motion effect than you want. Less ND will reduce the amount of "foaminess" to the water and you might like that look in some situations. For example:

zion-national-park-riverside-walk050.JPG

zion-national-park-riverside-walk053.JPG

The first is less foamy than the second . . . if you bracket your shots and take several of each angle with varying amounts of density, you can compare the results and choose your favorites.

If you didn't get a variable ND filter, just get another ND filter of a different strength. You not only have two different densities, you can combine them for a third density.

Another idea: If there are fish in the water where you're shooting, try some zoom shots to capture the motion (and color) of the fish as they swim around. Or leaves or whatever is moving in the water. I did this with fall leaves moving through the water several years ago and it turned out very cool.

The others have touched on the other aspects to getting the motion effect - use your lowest ISO, shut down your aperture, use the ND filter, use a remote shutter release, and have a tripod. I'd have more confidence in a tripod than a clamp mount for keeping the camera still.

Deborah Sandidge created a B&H YouTube video that explores

Deborah gives a lot of tips for creativity and explains how she was able to create the shot. The first part of the video deals with twilight, but at the 37:43 mark, Deborah explains uses of various neutral density filters.

Appreciate this great range of ideas, suggestions, thoughts and tips. Very, very helpful and inspiring, especially those photo examples that were posted! The Deborah Sandidge website had some great connections, content and links. Keep it coming!

The point is important on the remote shutter releases being good for "critical work" where absolute stability is needed.

For xlxo, asking if I have a "variable ND" filter and the brand, it a Vu Sion, 10-stop neutral density filter.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. We are now at 192,620 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 1 month later...
Variable ND is a great tool but may take some experimenting since maximum metered exposure is usually 30s. A single variable ND can cost as much as three regular ones but provides way more in-between options as well as a greater maximum density than all but a few specialized units.

Remote shutter is really useful if you want to be in the photo but for steady release, the 2s or 10s timer built into the camera's functions will provide you with plenty of time for the vibrations from pressing the shutter to subside.

Dave

Do you have a recommendation of a good ND filter?

Do you have a recommendation of a good ND filter?

I'd recommend the B+W "0.9 ND 103 filter", obviously in whatever size your lens needs. Try this link, then pick your needed size on the left: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_B%2bW&ci=114&N=4026728350+4242329435+4291599900

That's a three-stop filter, which I think is a reasonable place to start. I have that one, plus a six-stop filter, and I'm not sure I've actually used the six-stop filter yet. To me, one or two-stop filters are silly: if you want ND, you want to actually get an ND filter, not a pair of weak sunglasses.