Portland - 2 Ships in Port

jm485

DH and I are on a cruise in September that stops in Portland as the first US stop after a couple of Canadian ports.

We've been to Portland and the surrounding area a few times. We were just planning to hang around the Old Port and nearby areas -- sweet treats, a bit of shopping, lunch and maybe hop on one of the ferries to see the harbor.

But I see that Celebrity Summit is also in port on the same day we are. Is the area likely to be overrun with the 4200 passengers plus crew? Are we better off finding something to do outside town? Thanks for amy suggestions.

DH and I are on a cruise in September that stops in Portland as the first US stop after a couple of Canadian ports.

We've been to Portland and the surrounding area a few times. We were just planning to hang around the Old Port and nearby areas -- sweet treats, a bit of shopping, lunch and maybe hop on one of the ferries to see the harbor.

But I see that Celebrity Summit is also in port on the same day we are. Is the area likely to be overrun with the 4200 passengers plus crew? Are we better off finding something to do outside town? Thanks for amy suggestions.

While there will be lots of folks wandering Portland with two ships in, many will be taking the lighthouse or Kennebunk tours, so its not too bad. To see the harbor, I would recommend the "mail boat" run of the Casco Bay ferry. This is about 2-4 hours and visits all the islands taking people's mail and groceries out to the islands. The skipper usually gives a talk about island life and the peculiarities associated with island life. Another good way is to take one of the schooner tours.

For lunch, I can recommend the duck confit and brie pizza at the Grill Room, or the lobster poutine at Boone's. Duckfat is another great place for lunch. Don't know your ship's schedule, but if you have the time after 4pm, run up to Nosh for their bacon dusted fries.

While there will be lots of folks wandering Portland with two ships in, many will be taking the lighthouse or Kennebunk tours, so its not too bad. To see the harbor, I would recommend the "mail boat" run of the Casco Bay ferry. This is about 2-4 hours and visits all the islands taking people's mail and groceries out to the islands. The skipper usually gives a talk about island life and the peculiarities associated with island life. Another good way is to take one of the schooner tours.

For lunch, I can recommend the duck confit and brie pizza at the Grill Room, or the lobster poutine at Boone's. Duckfat is another great place for lunch. Don't know your ship's schedule, but if you have the time after 4pm, run up to Nosh for their bacon dusted fries.

Chengkp75,

We are considering taking one of these tours during our stop in Portland. Have you taken the Casco Bay Ferry's Bailey Island tour? Which of these tours would you recommend? If you were recommending a schooner tour, which one or ones would you recommend?

As of today, we are leaning towards the Bailey Island tour. A trip out to Cook's Lobster house, a quick bite for lunch and a return trip to the port. My wife would so like to be able to make the trip to Land's end at the end of Harpswell Island, but that is 2 1/4 miles down and another 2 1/4 miles back.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

ddaz

GBY

Edited by ddaz

Chengkp75,

We are considering taking one of these tours during our stop in Portland. Have you taken the Casco Bay Ferry's Bailey Island tour? Which of these tours would you recommend? If you were recommending a schooner tour, which one or ones would you recommend?

As of today, we are leaning towards the Bailey Island tour. A trip out to Cook's Lobster house, a quick bite for lunch and a return trip to the port. My wife would so like to be able to make the trip to Land's end at the end of Harpswell Island, but that is 2 1/4 miles down and another 2 1/4 miles back.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

ddaz

GBY

We have never taken the Bailey's Island cruise but we love going to Bailey's island by car. Cook's is generally the designated meal spot. If you use uber, there is service on the island, about $6 each way to land's end.

Portland Schooner company does 2 hour sails, and I think they are the only ones here this year, they run a very good operation. There are a couple of others that set up on a random basis from year to year as well. Lucky catch runs lobstering tours, if that is the way you're inclined (way too hard work for me).

Thanks for the suggestions. The "mail boat" was exactly the one we were considering. And now we have some schooner suggestions too.

Those restaurant suggestions sound great, too. We ordinarily would look for lobster rolls, but had some amazing ones at a beach place near (I think) Cape Elizabeth last time we visited. They were so good, I fear every other one will suffer from the comparison.

Thanks for the suggestions. The "mail boat" was exactly the one we were considering. And now we have some schooner suggestions too.

Those restaurant suggestions sound great, too. We ordinarily would look for lobster rolls, but had some amazing ones at a beach place near (I think) Cape Elizabeth last time we visited. They were so good, I fear every other one will suffer from the comparison.

That would most likely be the Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth. Most locals stay away from there as it is pretty pricey. Both Portland Lobster Co, right down the street from the ship, and Becky's Diner, a little farther down Commercial Street have great lobster rolls, but if you're going to Bar Harbor as well, I'd save the lobster roll for there, and savor some of Portland's nationally ranked restaurants.

Boone's and the Grill Room are two of the four "Room" restaurants owned by chef Harding Lee Smith, and you really can't go wrong with anything at his places. Eventide Oyster is another close by top spot. Unfortunately, many of the best places are dinner only, so unless the ship leaves late, you'll miss some of our best offerings.

We vacation yearly in the Portland area (we're from New England) but Duckfat is on our list this summer. It was recently featured on a news magazine show and looks amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
To see the harbor, I would recommend the "mail boat" run of the Casco Bay ferry. This is about 2-4 hours and visits all the islands taking people's mail and groceries out to the islands. The skipper usually gives a talk about island life and the peculiarities associated with island life.

How far is this from the pier? How much time is there at each stop, enough time to get off? Can we just walk up and buy tickets?

How far is this from the pier? How much time is there at each stop, enough time to get off? Can we just walk up and buy tickets?

The ferry terminal is literally across the pier from the cruise ships. The amount of time on each island is variable, and not long, so you couldn't walk far. It depends on how much cargo there is for each island. Yes, you can walk up and buy tickets, but the mail boat route is only at 10am and around 2pm (afternoon run varies by season). The entire run is 2.5-3.5 hours depending on cargo. It goes to 5 islands.

Cargo will vary by day of week as well. Some days there are deliveries of large propane tanks for heating and cooking. Some days its just groceries (islanders shop at mainland stores, tell them it is an "island order" and the store will bag the order, put it in banana boxes or ice cream in your provided chest, and store it in the fridge/freezer out back until around 1:30 when a van will take all the orders to the ferry pier, and the ferry people will palletize all the food for one island and shrink wrap it (your name is on each box). The boat drops all the groceries on the island pier, and then its up to you to go get it and bring it home. Some days the cargo is parcel post deliveries. Some days, a Portland Police officer or Maine Game Warden will travel to the island for patrol.

Island life in Casco Bay is pretty interesting, but you've got to be a special person to live there.

Island life in Casco Bay is pretty interesting, but you've got to be a special person to live there.

As always, chengkp75 is spot on with the recommendations. There are also passenger ferries, so you could stop at an island, do some walking, eating, etc, then catch the next ferry back.

My kids went to high school in Portland. DH dated a fellow from Peaks Island, which was great because the last ferry home was at 11, so that determined curfew and I didn't have to be the big bad meanie!

• 2 weeks later...
I am traveling with 16 family members and hoping to book something for all of us. We need a short excersion (no more than 3 hours) we are traveling with older family with mobility issues. Any suggestions?

What are your interests, and how severe are the mobility issues. Many Portland streets and sidewalks are either cobblestone or brick, and the Maine winters play hell with those.

• 4 weeks later...

That mailboat trip sounds great, but I'm leaning towards renting a car and driving to Boothbay Harbor in early Oct. for a once-yearly trip out to see 10 lighthouses around there. However, I'm having a little trouble figuring out if there's any way to get a rental car ahead of others on the two ships (including a giant one - Anthem of the Seas) that dock there the day we're there. Enterprise is only about a mile and a half away but opens an hour after we get there, which is 8 - same as Anthem of the Seas. They told me they would send a van to pick up everyone with reservations. I'm assuming that would be around 9. I didn't think to ask if they'll also go to the other terminal to pick up the Anthem pax. Is that terminal (Ocean Gateway) close to the other one (Ocean Terminal)?

I believe you or someone else told me that Uber might be used to get from Ocean Terminal to 1 Marginal Way, where Enterprise is located, and that is might cost $8 one way. Therefore, I may just get off the ship, perhaps around, 8:30, call for an Uber, and go to Enterprise rather than call for Enterprise's van.

I was wondering if you knew of any car rental places other than Enterprise that are somewhat near to Ocean Terminal, or if there's public transportation that goes from Ocean Terminal to Marginal Way. Would you have any idea? If so, thanks.

That mailboat trip sounds great, but I'm leaning towards renting a car and driving to Boothbay Harbor in early Oct. for a once-yearly trip out to see 10 lighthouses around there. However, I'm having a little trouble figuring out if there's any way to get a rental car ahead of others on the two ships (including a giant one - Anthem of the Seas) that dock there the day we're there. Enterprise is only about a mile and a half away but opens an hour after we get there, which is 8 - same as Anthem of the Seas. They told me they would send a van to pick up everyone with reservations. I'm assuming that would be around 9. I didn't think to ask if they'll also go to the other terminal to pick up the Anthem pax. Is that terminal (Ocean Gateway) close to the other one (Ocean Terminal)?

I believe you or someone else told me that Uber might be used to get from Ocean Terminal to 1 Marginal Way, where Enterprise is located, and that is might cost $8 one way. Therefore, I may just get off the ship, perhaps around, 8:30, call for an Uber, and go to Enterprise rather than call for Enterprise's van.

I was wondering if you knew of any car rental places other than Enterprise that are somewhat near to Ocean Terminal, or if there's public transportation that goes from Ocean Terminal to Marginal Way. Would you have any idea? If so, thanks.

I wasn't even aware that there were two names for the terminals, since they are essentially next to each other (at right angles, one's a pier and one's a berth along the shore). Yes, I believe I checked uber's fare, and it was around $8.

Enterprise is by far the closest rental agency to the pier, and public transportation is not great between those two points.

I wasn't even aware that there were two names for the terminals, since they are essentially next to each other (at right angles, one's a pier and one's a berth along the shore). Yes, I believe I checked uber's fare, and it was around $8.

Enterprise is by far the closest rental agency to the pier, and public transportation is not great between those two points.

Thank you. I guess Enterprise it will be.

I guess the two names are merely used to assign ships to the same area. I didn't realize both places were right there. But when you say "a berth" that doesn't mean one ship has to anchor, right? Do ships ever tender in Portland?

I guess the two names are merely used to assign ships to the same area. I didn't realize both places were right there. But when you say "a berth" that doesn't mean one ship has to anchor, right? Do ships ever tender in Portland?

According to the 2016 Portland Maine Cruise Ship Schedule, no cruise ship will be tendering this year. I will not say tendering never happened in previous years, but not this year.

SBtS

No, I don't recall any cruise ship anchoring ever. I wasn't quite accurate about the "berth along the shore". One ship berths at the Maine State Pier, which is at 90* to the shore, and one will berth at the new pier that is parallel to the shore. From the street it appears the ship is at a dock parallel to the shore, but in fact it is a set of dolphins and pier areas connected by walkways. I've never looked at the berth from the top of Munjoy Hill, so I wasn't aware it was out in the harbor. The two piers use the same entrance gate, the "longshore" berth is a block longer walk to the gate.

I recommend Casco Bay Ferry to Peaks Island. 15 minute ride. boats leave pier next to cruise ship almost every hour. Peaks is wonderful quaint village. Take Spirit of Peaks golf cart tour. You can rent golf carts & bike. Inn at Peaks for lunch. Downfront for ice cream & souvenoirs. I live in South Portland.

• 2 weeks later...
The ferry terminal is literally across the pier from the cruise ships. The amount of time on each island is variable, and not long, so you couldn't walk far. It depends on how much cargo there is for each island. Yes, you can walk up and buy tickets, but the mail boat route is only at 10am and around 2pm (afternoon run varies by season). The entire run is 2.5-3.5 hours depending on cargo. It goes to 5 islands.

Cargo will vary by day of week as well. Some days there are deliveries of large propane tanks for heating and cooking. Some days its just groceries (islanders shop at mainland stores, tell them it is an "island order" and the store will bag the order, put it in banana boxes or ice cream in your provided chest, and store it in the fridge/freezer out back until around 1:30 when a van will take all the orders to the ferry pier, and the ferry people will palletize all the food for one island and shrink wrap it (your name is on each box). The boat drops all the groceries on the island pier, and then its up to you to go get it and bring it home. Some days the cargo is parcel post deliveries. Some days, a Portland Police officer or Maine Game Warden will travel to the island for patrol.

Is it possible to buy the tickets for the mailboat tour in advance? I didn't see a way on the web site, so I'm thinking no. We are trying to plan our day in Portland in advance.

Is it possible to buy the tickets for the mailboat tour in advance? I didn't see a way on the web site, so I'm thinking no. We are trying to plan our day in Portland in advance.

I don't think so. It's not really a tour, it is the main supply run for the islanders.