Late dining if from East Coast?

JenMarie33

My husband and I typically like doing late dining so we don't miss any of the action in port, but this will be our first time going across the country and we will also have our kids with us (5 & 11). While we tend to eat late at home, I still think this might difficult. If it helps to know, we will be flying in 2 nights before the start of the cruise, hoping to adjust a bit to the time change. Anyone else from the east done late seating? How did it work out for you?

My husband and I typically like doing late dining so we don't miss any of the action in port, but this will be our first time going across the country and we will also have our kids with us (5 & 11). While we tend to eat late at home, I still think this might difficult. If it helps to know, we will be flying in 2 nights before the start of the cruise, hoping to adjust a bit to the time change. Anyone else from the east done late seating? How did it work out for you?

why not consider anytime dining? All the cruiselines have it. Especially in Alaska, there is plenty to see and do during daylight. :) It's easy for me to go with this plan, since, the "dining" on a ship means nothing to me. I have no issue with time changes. Everyone is different. 9pm is going to be 12am (central time) at home? :)

Edited by Budget Queen

An "anytime" (or whatever this option is called on your cruise line of choice) is always a great option for a port intensive cruise, but folks who are concerned about a time zone adjustments may consider packing melatonin. I find it helps me make those time zone jumps with few problems.

I think your kids will probably be the ones who have a difficult time adjusting to the difference in time. Remember, Alaska time is 4 hours different from Eastern time. They will probably wake early since it will be light very early and they will probably run out of steam earlier than usual by clock time. Anytime dining might work well for you particularly if you plan to have a table for 4. The biggest drawback to anytime dining for me is that you don't have the same waiters and dinner companions each night and to me that is part of the cruise experience.