Am I cornering my bases with this approach

Jacqueline

I am looking to recuperate on the QM2 round trip from New York, where I live (no flights).

As I stated on another thread, I broke my hip and have had surgeries and followup. I am fine with no pain or complications, beyond my crutches, and should be done ion July 12.

I have had dr appointments since then. I am confident that if I book now, five weeks out, I will have no coverage due to preexisting conditions. I am trying to cobble together a plan to cover me.

1) medjet assist for evacuation

2) the travel program on cunard that covers only the future cruise credits for future trace, (75% within a year). In NY this can be bought as a standalone option. This may be covered as well with my chase Sappire (need more investigation).

3) I was stunned to see that my NY state of health seems to cover emergency care worldwide. Wondering if this an ACA driven program.

All of the above needs to be verified even more thoroughtly.

My house is undergoing a major renovation with half demolished and no kitchen. Per diems are running just over $100 per day, so it's a good time to buy. I have even lost my downstairs powder room. It's too late for a beach house and don't want to fly for obvious reasons.

Not sure if I'm answering the question that you're asking, however, here are my thoughts.

For travel insurance to be valid, most insurance companies require that you be able to travel on the day you purchase it.

In other words, you can't be having issues today and buy, thinking that you will be recovered in 6 weeks at beginning of scheduled travel.

Right! I need to be medically able to travel on the date of my booking, pretty sure that will be a problem and why travel insurance is not going to work in this case.

I ordered my most recent policy from my health care provider and was stunned to see that emergency care is covered not just out of state but worldwide. I will see for sure when I get feedback on my claim for Bhutan as my travel insurance is secondary, I had no idea as previously it specifically did not. They seem to have no idea of how to process it as there is no claims process for the patient and no one to talk to directly.then again, it's a highly regulated industry and its on the ACA list.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me! I appreciate it.

Edited by Jacqueline

Not sure if I'm answering the question that you're asking, however, here are my thoughts.

For travel insurance to be valid, most insurance companies require that you be able to travel on the day you purchase it.

In other words, you can't be having issues today and buy, thinking that you will be recovered in 6 weeks at beginning of scheduled travel.

Following on this, we had a similar situation.

DH had a medical emergency that required we cancel a special cruise/air/hotel trip. The travel insurance paid all non-refundable costs, no problem. (That was our *first* experience with travel insurance!)

After the emergency, during the ongoing monitoring/treatment, I started planning more trips.

Uh, oh... fortunately Steve (at TripInsuranceStore) was on the mark and spotted the problem the first time I called about getting coverage for the new trips.

DH was NOT yet able to travel.

Good catch by Steve!

We cancelled a few reservations and waited.

When DH's doctors agreed that he was now "okay to travel", we had one of them write a letter *that day* stating that he was now okay to travel, and the next day, we began making plans again.

This was the same physician who had filled out the insurance claim forms for the refunds for that first trip.

We did this so that IF there were to be any future claims for the trips planned during this time, there would be no question about the timing and when he was, in fact, "okay to travel" again.

So IF there is any chance that you (OP) could wait until you get the "all clear" from your physician, THEN you could indeed get the insurance that would cover those pre-existing conditions.

(That is, don't book the trip or make any deposit until you get medical approval, and then quickly make all the plans and start the insurance.)

But double check with someone like Steve/TripInsuranceStore, etc., to make sure that there are no other conditions that might cause problems...

But double check with someone like Steve/TripInsuranceStore, etc., to make sure that there are no other conditions that might cause problems...

Great advice;). Steve is very knowledgeable and will work with you to get the best coverage you need for your specific situation.