Long time cruiser with first time cruiser - must do?

Aldri_CA

Hi all,

Long time cruiser, but I’ve only recently discovered this forum – so much great info on here!

I took my first cruise when I was a young kid (my parents loved to travel), so I don’t really remember my first few cruises that well. BUT, I’m taking my BF on his first cruise this July (Oasis) and I want to make sure he’s getting the full cruise experience (he’s still a bit skeptical).

Those who recently took their first cruise (or those who still remember their first cruise well) – what is a MUST do for a first time cruiser? I feel like there’s things I skip after having been cruising so long as they’ve lost their dazzle a bit, but that a first time cruiser might love? I know this will depend on the person, age, preferences, etc. but looking for some general ideas.

Granted, it’s the Oasis so there’s never a dull moment. But just curious what you all think is a “must-do” for first time cruisers. Thanks in advance!

Shows, especially ice skating and Aquatheater. Note that Oasis has so many guests, they need to have more than the two traditional performances per show, so it's a good idea to reserve shows in advance if you can.

I would think back to what "wowed" you when you first remember cruising, and lean toward that kind of stuff. I've done 27 cruises and tend to spend a lot of time relaxing on my balcony. But my first cruise... I was all over the ship. Went to all the pool games, Quest, Love and Marriage. Tried lots of "fruity drinks." Ordered multiple dishes at dinner.

Oasis has way too much to offer for one 7 night cruise. So as Bob said, don't miss the shows. Also ride the Rising Tide bar. Spend some time on the Boardwalk and Central Park. Do the zip line. At least spend some time just walking around the ship and seeing everything.

One of my favorite activities since my first cruise is when I get up early, go to the Windjammer, grab a cup of coffee (usually set up on pool deck outside WJ) and just enjoy the beautiful ocean at a very quiet time on the ship.

Those are what got me hooked. Think of what hooks you to cruising and you can't go wrong.

Very small comment, but I would not stress the size of the ship. For our Indy cruise, I told my husband "it's pretty big" and that it was once the largest ship at sea, but didn't get too specific. Seeing his face when we arrived at port was PRICELESS.

Catch the shows, try all the food, stay up late, sleep in, visit the ports, catch the belly flop contest, and most important... RELAX.

I was thinking the same way as the previous poster. Let him experience the wow. I can still remember how I felt looking at the Monarch for the first time. I'd had the first timers jitters - thinking I was going to sea in a rowboat - and there I was facing a HUGE ship. Can't imagine the awe I would have felt if faced with a really huge ship like the Oasis.

Just remember it is all new to him. The pool bands, the "international" belly flop contest, the 24 hour food, the shows, the top ten questions to the cruise director, the waiters that remember your name and preferences and so much more. You are going to have so much fun seeing the ship through his eyes.

... thinking I was going to sea in a rowboat...

LOL that's pretty much where he's at right now -- so YES, can't wait for him to see the size of the ship!

I also never thought about the idea of re-experiencing the ship for the first time through him... makes me that much more excited for the trip! My last couple cruises were with Celebrity, so I'm looking forward to coming back to RCCL.

And, yes: Oasis is definitely too big to see/do everything in just 7 days... my first experience on the Oasis class was a b2b on the Allure and we barely had time to see/do everything. This is also why I just want to make sure we hit the highlights this time without missing anything a first time cruiser would love.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!