Accessible Beaches walking distance from ports?

I am disabled on O2 24/7 and use a scooter to travel. I am wanting to take another Carnival cruise with my friend. Since you are only at port for a few hours I need help and opinions on what ports of call ( no tenders) have accessible beaches within walking distance. (Especially the free ones). All I really want to do is get in the ocean with my 50 ft O2 line. Lol. Maybe rent some chairs and an umbrella and food drinks like Junkaroo Beach in the Bahamas. I had a great experience there. Are there any places similar? Which beaches can I ride my scooter to the water (like boardwalks) or use a beach buggy wheelchair? I also have heard using an inflatable that someone can drag me through the sand to the water. I am planning my cruise based on this criteria only. I have spent the last week going through the forums and threads on here, but have not found enough information to help me make a decision. Any help, suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Does it have to be Carnival as that will restrict you.

Have you considered Royal Caribbean's own island of Labadee, I have been there and from what you have described it would meet your needs.

Pete

Carnival does have a couple private island types with access to the beach that I am aware of. Half Moon Cay has the roll-on tenders and Grand Turk has a dock. Do not remember if there is a beach at Carnival's dock in Roatan and have not yet been to Amber Cove. I am aware that there is a Malecon and beaches in Amber Cove, but not positive of the exact location or what they offer. I do believe the Caribbean area would be your best option.

If you find a cruise that interest you, contact the ship's Special Needs department and ask about the specific ports.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

I chose Carnival because I have Carnival ecards already accumulated for the trip. I have been twice. Once to Cozumel on the Elation which was not a good trip because I could not find handicapped transportation to a beach. I went on the Victory to the Bahamas. As I stated in my post I had a great time on Junkaroo Beach. I am interested in another cruise with the same accommodations Junkaroo beach offered. It was easy to get to it from the port without any auto service.

In Feb. 2016 I was NOT permitted to take my scooter on the tenders to Half Moon Cay. Grand Turk was the next best. But couldn't get to the beach so we used the pool there. That pool has a sloped entrance just like going into the ocean. Cozumel has a small beach right at the pier but I didn't try to get in. Grand Cayman would be a definite no. Belize is a no. Mahogany Bay has a really nice wide, concrete walkway to the shops then onto the private beach. Thats a pretty good possibility. I would think St Maarten would not be good either. hope this helped.

Thank you for the info. I went to Cozumel. I did not know their was a beach by the port? Do you know what it was called and where it is located? How far is it to the beach you are talking about and is is accessible by a scooter?

The little beach is just as you come off the pier into the shopping area. Headed off the ship toward the plaza it is on the left. The massage booth is right there where you enter the beach.There are several palms there so it is shady too. I don't think it has a name but its right behind one of those bars closest to the ships.

Thank you for the info. I went to Cozumel. I did not know their was a beach by the port? Do you know what it was called and where it is located? How far is it to the beach you are talking about and is is accessible by a scooter?

WE loved the beach at Mahogany Bay - I was able to ride my scooter to within 20 feet of the water line and my friends helped me make those steps to get into the water. We rented a cabana for the day but beach access from paved areas is available without the cabana. Cozumel is much the same, I could use the scooter to within about 20 feet of the water line, get to the massage area and to the water.

Edited by isaiahsnana
more info

I chose Carnival because I have Carnival ecards already accumulated for the trip. I have been twice. Once to Cozumel on the Elation which was not a good trip because I could not find handicapped transportation to a beach. I went on the Victory to the Bahamas. As I stated in my post I had a great time on Junkaroo Beach. I am interested in another cruise with the same accommodations Junkaroo beach offered. It was easy to get to it from the port without any auto service.

I'm sorry that you couldn't find accessible transportation in Coz. We went to the cab stand and he called a ramp van for us. They are limited in number, though.