Queen of the Mississippi or American Queen?

4ragdolls

My husband and I and another couple are planning a Mississippi River cruise. We have 21 cruises on large ships but this will be our first river cruise. I have researched both cruise lines and find pros and cons with each. The hop on hop off feature sounds great. We like only 150 passengers on the other boat. One boat has 2 fixed dining times with assigned seating. The other has open seating for its 150 passengers. Cabins on both sound very similar. Itineraries are the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on dates, AQ has been discounting many cruises up to half price. Cabins on Q of M at lowest price point are larger than AQ's. Both have American crews which can create problems in staffing and service. AQ has beer and wine included at dinner. While interesting, shoreline and cities along Mississippi are not like those of Europe. Certainly fewer choices with North American rivers and boats than in Europe.

Another item, if not taking a round trip, is that senior Amtrak fares between Memphis and New Orleans can be found for about $50 pp so it is easy to return to embarkation city if the cruise is from one to the other.

AQ breaks down often and offers a paltry amount for compensation!

Careful read the reviews in CC.

Now how many days did the QUEEN OF THE MISSISSIPPI have to spend in a chilly St. Paul at a landing outside of town while the repairs could be made to her props after her first trip up the Mississippi? And what was the compensation that American Cruise Line offered to those inconvenienced passengers?

The American Queen Steamboat Company boat with all of its faults would be my choice. Fares tend to be less on the AQ. There is an expansive amount of open deck space outside, and inside there is the lovely J.M.WHITE Dining Room, Mark Twain Gallery, and the jewel box of a space, Grand Saloon to enjoy. The AQ carries her own professional entertainers, and a steam calliope that some might say better entertains those onshore!

Edited by Calliope

Calliope, please tell me about the "chart room". Other than what the name implies, is it an enclosed area with chairs, suitable for viewing the river...head on? Thanks

Jim

The Chart Room has absolutely nothing to do with the vessel's navigation. It is a wood paneled room with windows on three of its four sides. It's a great place to sit with a cup of coffee, or to bring up a plate of something to munch on from the "Front Porch" and watch America go by. The onboard ''Riverlorian" can be found there during posted hours to answer questions and point out sites of interest. Yes, it is a great place to sit on one of the stools and gaze ahead. There is also a large circular wooden table to sit around and chat.

Two other rooms to sit and watch the river go by are either the "Ladies' Parlor," or the "Gentlemen's Card Room" both forward on the Cabin Deck.

We would definitely book with American Queen again, and were delighted with our wide veranda space near the Front Porch. It was perfect for early morning coffee, watching river traffic and the world go by, and pondering the secret life of mayflies.:D "Calliope" speaks with knowledge of the legacy. Trust the legacy.

We would definitely book with American Queen again, and were delighted with our wide veranda space near the Front Porch. It was perfect for early morning coffee, watching river traffic and the world go by, and pondering the secret life of mayflies.:D "Calliope" speaks with knowledge of the legacy. Trust the legacy.

"Pondering the secret life of mayflies," gave me a hearty chuckle. I remember being on the legendary DELTA QUEEN once on the upper Mississippi during mayfly season. Most of the doors of her staterooms opened right to the guard (proper river terminology for the outside decks on either side of the vessel), and those poor souls who opened their stateroom doors with the room lights still on were literally swarmed by the harmless little creatures. Those little buggers also kept the porter staff busy vacuuming the carpet all night in the boat's Forward Cabin Lounge which had doors on both sides opening to the guards. Ahh, those were the days, steamboatin' on the DELTA QUEEN!

We can confirm that mayflies swarm. After leaving the AQ at Cincy, we scouted around northern Kentucky looking for sweet corn and thoroughbreds and found ourselves at the Sunset Cafe and marina by Warsaw. Deck seating was what we wanted, but were driven indoors with our liver & onions by the mayflies and a summer squall. It was just more adventure on the river!:D

Cabins are way larger on the Queen of the Missississippi than on the American Queen. ACL does include all beverages. There are two lounges with self service (coffee, Nespresso machine, sodas, snacks, ice water) and an open bar before dinner during cocktail hour where you can order anything you want (acutally the Queen of the Mississippi does not have a regular bar). In the cabins there´s a Keurig coffee machine.

Looking at the boat I´d prefer the AQ because I love her decor and open decks. Just wanted to add some information about the QoM as there are differences.

steamboats

Cabins are way larger on the Queen of the Missississippi than on the American Queen. ACL does include all beverages. There are two lounges with self service (coffee, Nespresso machine, sodas, snacks, ice water) and an open bar before dinner during cocktail hour where you can order anything you want (acutally the Queen of the Mississippi does not have a regular bar). In the cabins there´s a Keurig coffee machine.

Looking at the boat I´d prefer the AQ because I love her decor and open decks. Just wanted to add some information about the QoM as there are differences.

steamboats

Is that something new with AQ?? I do not recall an open bar before dinner ..maybe we missed it

no coffee machine either ..we were on deck 2 ..maybe just the higher suites have them

For me, it's all about authenticity. The AQ is a close replica of the original Mississippi riverboats, powered by an authentic steam engine driving a working paddle wheel. I love the open promenade decks outside most cabins. The cabins are furnished with authentic furniture and replicas so perfect it's hard to tell what's old and new. The steam calliope is fabulous. The engine room tour is lots of fun. The theater was inspired by the Ford Theater in Washington, DC. The parlor, card room and gallery are like a step back in time. When we sailed, professional re-enactors portraying Lee, Grant, Lincoln and Twain added so much. Rocking or swinging on the Front Porch is great relaxation.

Yes, the cabins are a bit small, but very comfortable. Yes, it breaks down sometimes, but that just adds to the adventure, for me.

I've not sailed on QofM, but I've studied it fairly well. The cabins are larger and more modern, but they remind me of modern cruise ship cabins. The power is strictly diesel and the paddle wheel is just along for the ride. There are no promenade decks; the cabin balconies preclude them.

I do a lot of ocean cruising; we're booked on a 180 day Around The World cruise on Oceania Insignia next year. I don't want that ocean cruise ship on the Mississippi, I want to feel like a gentleman from 1890. AQ gives me that; I don't think Q of M would have the same feel.

I really appreciated the above summary of the AQ experience. Every potential voyager should read that summary. Yes, it's that good.:D The only thing you might add would be a plate of peel and eat shrimp. Thanks for reminding us of the Ford Theater aspect of the Grand Saloon. The Front Porch is a treasure, and we were blessed to be able step out of our stateroom for breakfast, then a promenade along the guard.

• 2 months later...
My husband and I and another couple are planning a Mississippi River cruise. We have 21 cruises on large ships but this will be our first river cruise. I have researched both cruise lines and find pros and cons with each. The hop on hop off feature sounds great. We like only 150 passengers on the other boat. One boat has 2 fixed dining times with assigned seating. The other has open seating for its 150 passengers. Cabins on both sound very similar. Itineraries are the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I love American Queen ... Luxury paddle-wheeling on the Mississippi returned to Memphis in 2012, when the American Queen Steamboat company added cruises from the city to New Orleans, St. Louis. In true Memphis style, there's an Elvis connection; Priscilla Presley is the ship's 'godmother' and Elvis-themed cruises will be offered through the season. Voyage typically run nine days and include stops (dependent on the theme) in Vicksburg,MS, Helena, AR, Paducah, KY and other river towns. Fares range from $1900 per person to almost $6,000, and include all shore excursions and meals. It is a great amount of fun! :D

• 3 weeks later...