Has anyone done the 10 day RT Alaska cruise out of San Fran?

minnow12

Has anyone out there done the 10 day RT cruise out of San Francisco? We can drive to the San Fran. pier since we live fairly close but I'm not sure about the ports but with all the running around everyone seems to do in the Alaska ports, 2 days at sea at the end sound wonderful.

we'll be on the cruise in september....and hoping it's all we think it'll be! It certainly helped pricewise that we're leaving and returning to san francisco, and I love the time of year we'll be travelling. The Celebrity boards have lots of feedback, so that might be a good place to post your question as well. good luck with your decision!

Minnow,

I did the Regal Princess last year. We had a great time. The sea days were wonderful but came with a price. The major disappointment is that the cruise that we went on was describe as an inside passage cruise, but it wasn't in my book. We went to Sitka, Juneau and Skagway. We were only inside passage between Juneau, Skagway and Hubbard Glacier. The rest of the time we were out in the Pacific.

My friends just came back from a Regal cruise. Their cruise included Skagway, Juneau, Glacier Bay and Kitchikan, so perhaps it was a true inside passage cruise. I will ask them and get back to you on this issue.

Any questions???

Tabearone,

What did you think of the Regal cruise that you just returned from on Aug. 4? Is there anything that you'd do differently? Did you see the glaciers in Tracy Arm? We're there many kids on the ship? I'm assuming they'll be more on the Dawn than the Regal since the Dawn is a larger ship.

Thanks for any information!!!!!!!!

Deb in Cali.

Did you cruise through Tracy Arm? On our cruise next year, we're supposed to cruise through Tracy Arm and see Mendenhall glacier. Is this the route you took?

The Sawyer Glaciers are in Tracy Arm. Mendenhall Glacier is in Juneau.

Just a word of advice - the 10 day Regal Princess out of SF does Tracy Arm on some cruises and Glacier Bay on others. We booked our 8/24/06 cruise through an online site, which showed our cruise as going through Tracy Arm. The Princess site shows Glacier Bay. We checked the other Regal departures and it seemed like a few had Glacier Bay and the rest had Tracy Arm. If you really have your heart set on one or the other, make sure to check the Princess site for your specific departure date to make sure of which one you will get. (This change didn't matter to us, but I know some people choose a cruise based on very specific criteria.)

Hi, We live in So. CA. & will be going on Regal soon. Do you remember how long the ride was from the airport to the pier? What kind of tranportation did you take to get to the pier or did you have transfers? I have more questions for you, but I am pressed for time right now. Thanks H:D

Tabearone,

What did you think of the Regal cruise that you just returned from on Aug. 4? Is there anything that you'd do differently? Did you see the glaciers in Tracy Arm? We're there many kids on the ship? I'm assuming they'll be more on the Dawn than the Regal since the Dawn is a larger ship.

Thanks for any information!!!!!!!!

Hi

2nd time in less then 2 years on this ship, first thru the panama canal in 12/2004 and last week 7-25 8-4 2006 Alaska. There were aprox 200 plus kids this trip, Thur the canal maybe 25 at most. I would have packed less. We had great weather I came back with a tan, last day laid out on lido deck for 4 hours. We had great weather no rain. no sprinkles. 7/28 Sitka aprox 70 plus. 7/30 Juneau 85 , 7/31 Skagway-Whitehorse upper 70's , 8/1 Tracy Arm cold and foggy. 8/3 Victoria upper 70's

We were on the Mendenall Glacier, did a Hike, trek, climb Mendenall Glacier and Zipline tour with Above and beyond Alaska, This was the highlight of the vacation.

Hi, We live in So. CA. & will be going on Regal soon. Do you remember how long the ride was from the airport to the pier? What kind of tranportation did you take to get to the pier or did you have transfers? I have more questions for you, but I am pressed for time right now. Thanks H:D

Hi,

Sorry, but Our oldest son, drove us to the peir and picked us up. We live in Vacaville, so we drove to the peir. Email your questions to Tabearone@sbcglobal.net

I live in the Bay Area and have booked the 8/19/07 10 night cruise to Alaska. BART, Bay Area subway, runs from the SF airport to downtown SF. For schedule, check out www.bart.gov. Pier 27 is about 1/2 mile from the Embarcadero station. If you need to go to Pier 35, you can take a bus, but a taxi would be much faster. A car ride from the airport to the piers would take at least 35 minutes without traffic.

BTW, I took the BART this past May to Pier 27 for a NCL Repositioning cruise.

Hi, Is the traffic usually heavy from airport to pier 35? Our flight gets in at noon, and I see you need to be on the ship by 3:00 pm. We are planning to take the super shuttle. Do you think that would be OK? I am freaking out:eek: Thanks, H

We did this cruise July 5-15 2006 and just loved it. Every schedule dates has a little different itinerary. We did Juneau Ketchikan, Icy Straight Pointe. cruised Tracy arm ( first ship of season to makes it all the way to the South Sawyer Glacier) and Victoria B.C. This was just a awesome cruise, We booked a Town car from airport to pier and it was very efficient, http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/SFOEcarSedan.htm We booked roundtrip, If I had it to do over I would just take a cab from the port back to the airport, The only reason its very crowded on the sidewalk when you disembark and the traffic is nuts. It made it hard to find our Town car. where as there was Taxi's lined up and you just had to grab one.You really have 5 sea days ours was 2 sea days 3 ports Tracy Arm 1/2 day (which is really a sea day) sea day Victoria and sea day.we did have a ball and fell in love with this ship after the last few cruises and those monster ships. One thing we loved about this ship is every aft deck is a semi private Balcony. It can be used by any body but no one really does. We were on Caribe deck 3 rooms from the back. We just walked out our room 3 doors down and bingo I balcony the width of the ship. I was also protected from the wind. Big Money has turned all this space into private Balcony's on the newer ships and I feel that this takes away from cruising. Its sad to see her leaving the fleet.

We Did

Ketchikan http://www.ketchikanfishing.net/ktn/cruise.html

Juneau http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/index.htm http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

Icy Straight point http://www.teckkoutfitters.com/

Victoria http://www.butchartgardens.com/

We did everyone on our own, no ship tours on this trip

Here are our pictures

http://community.webshots.com/user/bases5

Hi, Is the traffic usually heavy from airport to pier 35? Our flight gets in at noon, and I see you need to be on the ship by 3:00 pm. We are planning to take the super shuttle. Do you think that would be OK? I am freaking out:eek: Thanks, H

I didn't catch what day of the week you are flying in. Noon on a weekday should be fine. It is those commuting hours you need to watch. With almost 3 hours to make it, you should totally be okay! The weather is beautiful in the bay area right now. Enjoy!

Halo V

We drove into SF and spent the night before embarking on the Regal. Are you flying in the day of the cruise? I can verify that the SF airport is a looonggg way from the pier. It was about a $45-50 cab fare from SFO to Pier 35. It takes about 1 hour during non-traffic time.

The Mendenhall Glacier is in Juneau. The Sawyer glacier is the one that you view from Tracy Arm.

Hope this helps.

When you set sail, get on deck 10. Go all the way forward on the right side of the ship. You will deadend and turn to your left. Exit the door out onto a small deck that is the best location for going under the Golden Gate. So few passengers know about it until later in the cruise that it is almost a private deck during the sailaway.

Deb

Hi all, I live about 10 minutes north of the airport. I drive to work everyday to downtown SF. From my office it is probably another 10 minute ride to the pier. It takes me 35 minutes in traffic to get to work. I would say that it will take you an hour to get from the airport to the pier with traffic.

Since there is a more direct route from the airport to the pier and depending on what time you are flying in, I would use an hour as the gauge to getting to the pier.

Thanks everyone, we are getting in on a Thursday (day of the cruise). When I first decided to go with super shuttle someone told me the pier was only 25 minutes away. But most people on CC say that it is a lot farther. I called Princess to see if we could get transfers, but it is too close to sailing. They told us to talk to a rep when we are at the airport. My husband really isn't worried about how we are getting to the pier, so I have to do the worrying for both of us:eek:

The town car I posted befoe is part of super shuttle. It just private no waiting for the van to fill up. A person has a sign with your name on it. It only took 40 minutes from wheels down to walking up the gang plank, Thats was everything. We landed on a wed at 11:20 a.m.

Hi All

I was booked on the canceled Sept Infinity cruise to Alaska...& now my agent has put me on a wait list for the Regal. I really do not think I will get on her at this late date...but just in case...I have a few questions.

Can anyone tell me re the rooms...all catagorys as I am waitlisted for anything! Are they a good size?

Is there any indoor pool/hot tub? I do not see any on the ships deck plans...but thought the 2 at rear on one deck might be out of the wind & OK to use.

It sounds like everyone likes this ship...any advice would help & maybe I'll get on her??? :) PS...no real roll call set up on here for her?? Thx for any help.

Gator

We had a inside for ten days, Going we were worried being in a inside for that long, We were pleasantly surprised. The room layout was nice with lots of storage. We had no problem with the room and it seemed bigger than other cabins we had in the past. I'm not sure if it was.

No inside pool or Jacuzzi. The 2 on the back deck was out of the wind and people used them. Your from Florida as are we and to us it never was warm enough to even think about it.

There are a couple viewing areas that are not overly used. Baha Deck right side there is a hall way to a front viewing area.

Also during scenic cruising they put wood over the crew pool on the front deck, You get there from the upper balcony in the show room on the left side and go behind the stage and out the door.

Call us wimps but it was to cold on the front decks for us so we hung out at the back of the ship.

Well...looks like you are a Tampa Bay Buc Fan! And guess what I am! Go Gators!

Thx a lot for all the info..really got a kick re going thru stage doors to get to outside viewing areas.

Good to hear you felt comfortable in an inside.

As I wrote...I really doubt I can get on Regal...Celebrity has engine problems so our cruise cxled. I was on Princess once & was very happy with them...so wish me luck & maybe I'll get to see Alaska...& this is one Floridian that is looking forward to cool temps!:)

Archived