Azamara Journey – March 3 Sailing - Cancelled

AzamaraJoel

With Avios you lose the miles in the UK

Sorry, I did not scroll back far enough and missed this. Azamara should still reimburse you for the cost of the miles. You have credit card records and if you lost any you earned by flying, they should reimburse you for those also.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. I am happy to report that we successfully negotiated what we believe we were due from Azamara for the cancelled cruise. We were already in Shanghai on Feb 26 and only learned of the cruise cancellation on Feb 27 in the evening from a cruisecritic friend who had arrived much earlier and contacted me by phone. We needed to do some planning. How to make lemonade from lemons?

We had planned to visit Xian, then return to Shanghai and board the ship on March 3. When we returned from Xian on March 3, we returned to our original hotel and called the Hyatt. We spoke to a representative who provided her cell phone number. We talked about our individual circumstances. I told her that we arrived in Shanghai on Feb. 26 and on Feb 27, how we learned of the cruise cancellation and how our friend had received a direct e mail from Azamara on Feb 27 about the cancellation The Azamara rep had no answer for why we did not receive an e mail. And, our travel agent did not receive notice until February 28.

I told the Azamara rep about the ordeal of having to be up all night Feb 27-28 in order to be in touch many times with our U.S. travel agent to rebook our air and extend our hotel stay in Shanghai. I told her that I hoped Azamara was not expecting one to just turn around in a short period of time and fly back to the U.S. In our case only 6 days, which would be a physical hardship what with the time changes and the toll it can take on the body. She said that she understood.

We told her we were booked to depart from Shanghai four days later on March 7 and had to pay an extra $3220 for both tickets and give up our first class return obtained with purchased miles. She said to submit receipts for the mileage purchase.

She also offered us compensation for 3 extra nights/4 days in Shanghai at the same rates all of us were offered, up to $250 per night for the room and a per diem of $100 a person for food and transportation.

We willingly paid out of pocket for the 4th day and had a fabulous extended visit in Shanghai, spending quality time at all the sites still on my list we would not have ordinarily had time to visit. The weather was good.

When we returned home, my husband was unsatisfied with the further negotiations with that rep. He was able to find the telephone number of Azamara’s president. A young lady answered the phone. She became our contact from that point on, about 3 weeks. We also re-contacted an internationally recognized travel ombudsman, Chris Elliot. Chris has an excellent, informative column in the larger Sunday newspapers. I have read it for many years. His advice is fabulous. I used it twice in the past to successfully obtain redress from U.S. Air

If you ever need it, go to his website (http://www.elliott.org) for info such as e mail addresses for the executives at all travel organizations and advice on how to get redress for your complaint. E mail the company with your complaint before you contact Chris for additional help. Only contact him/his organization if you are not satisfied with the company’s response to your problem. elliottc@gmail.com

As for our private trip insurance, we learned we would not be reimbursed for trip cancellation because we had already traveled; however an ombudsman from insuremytrip.com reviewed the policy and realized trip delay could be used. Thus, trip insurance reimbursed us enough to cover the cost of the insurance plus some additional monies.

Azamara offered all of us $500 per person for a flight change fee. However, we were not charged a fee to redeposit our 150,000 miles into our American Air account because they had changed the time of one of our return connecting flights, which I knew about before we departed. I was surprised to learn one can cancel a flight with no monetary penalty if a time change is made. In our case it was only five minutes.

Azamara also reimbursed us for the cost of buying the extra miles needed for our flights. But, not at first. Negotiations had stalled. That’s when we needed to contact Chris Elliot. We explained the problem, he contacted the lady we had been working with, he e mailed us to say he had contacted Azamara, and she called us within two days to reopen negotiations. We were satisfied with what was negotiated. And we believe Chris’s intervention was a key factor! No, I don’t work for his organization. And I have read that his staff is all volunteer.

While we did not recoup all the $3220 we paid for the return air, we were satisfied because the monies Azamara provided for a change or redeposit fee, combined with the amount my husband negotiated with the Azamara rep in the president’s office, provided enough reimbursement to satisfy us. We had enjoyed an additional 4 day stay in Shanghai, stayed at the same elegant, centrally located hotel, a ½ block from the pedestrian promenade that leads to the Bund and had a wonderful time.

Future Plans for our almost free Cruise Certificate: We have already applied our certificate towards the February 3, 2015 sailing from Singapore to Bali. We plan to arrive in Singapore and spend 4 nights before boarding the ship. We will also stay in Bali an extra four nights after the cruise. Let me know if you are going to be on that cruise. gailhraznov@gmail.com

The reason we do not purchase the agents (travel agent, cruise ship, or tour operator) trip insurance is because the coverage is terrible. It doesn’t provide adequate monies to cover the most important things and usually costs more than going to insuremytrip.com, where there is a marketplace of companies offering insurance. If you use this insurance website, make sure to choose “package” unless you want only medical or other.

I have read in numerous travel articles from AAA and AARP that one needs at least $200.000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation, preferably more. Imagine being on a ship and having to be airlifted into a helicopter, something we have seen. Or, iImagine you are in a remote area in a third world country or even in a second world country with hospitals you don’t trust to treat a serious medical condition. The cost to fly you and your family to the closest first world hospital, and the cost of lodgings for all---is verrrrrrrrrrrrrry expensive.

Then there is the medical cost. If you are on Medicare, did you know that it covers nothing outside of the U.S.? One needs at least $25,000 in medical coverage. Even if you are not on Medicare, and have health insurance, you may have a high deductible for hospitalization. The plans offered by travel organizations covers $25,000 or less for emergency medical evacuation and $10.000 for medical.

The plan offered by Azamara is Berkeley Company. Their plans are grossly inferior and cost much more than the plans offered through an insuremytrip.com marketplace. (No I don’t represent insuremytrip.com) Read the policy’s details before purchasing any insurance. Read Google reviews of the policy and be prepared to be in shock. Some travel agents provide plans that do meet good standards but are exorbitant in price. Read all carefully. With any insurance you don’t have to pay upfront for the entire trip if you have only made deposits. After all is paid, increase the amount of coverage to the same plan.

When I choose insurance I select the 5 or 6 least expensive comprehensive plans and compare the coverage side by side on the computer screen. I look at the 5 most important areas: emergency medical evacuation, medical, trip delay, and how long it takes until one can be reimbursed for baggage delay and how much. You have seen people on cruise ships dressed in t shirts for days because some luggage was lost. At the suggestion of another traveler, my husband and I split our clothing, putting half of his and half of mine in our suitcase, the clothes color coordinated, of course

So, while what we experienced was trying, we have always tried to make the best of a bad situation, making lemonade out of lemons!

Now I am off to book insurance for this next cruise. Happy Safe Travels to All. And no more cruises cancelled. Thank goodness, in a million years of traveling, nothing that even approaches this kind of thing has ever happened. The saying is “If you live long enough………………,” which we hope to do more of!!! Happy travels to all from Gail and her best and only spouse of 51 years, Jerry Raznov.

Thanks for sharing the details of your experience. I admire your persistence.

I also use insuremytrip.com to compare coverage and then purchase a policy. When I had a completely unexpected medical emergency that necessitated leaving the Journey by ambulance and spending 7 days in a Lisbon hospital, I was glad to have the backing of a well known insurance company with international offices.

I'm glad you mentioned Chris Elliott. I've bookmarked his website and will keep it in mind should we have a problem that doesn't get resolved.

Hope your next cruise is smooth sailing.

Many people overlook the fact that MANY Medicare supplement plans provide international coverage at the same level as the US coverage.

Edited by 3418ahl

I checked with my plan and they DO cover evacuation...have you called your plan?? I was told it would be covered under the same circumstances as if you needed an ambulance. Many people are covered when "life-lifted" by helicopter here in the US.

Edited by 3418ahl

We purchase travel insurance for the medical evacuation. Everything else is just extra. Our medical insurance does cover out of network. There is a deductible, but it won't cause us financial problems. I have heard of medivac costing well over $50K in some areas.

“Many people overlook the fact that MANY Medicare supplement plans provide international coverage at the same level as the US coverage.”

Yes, there are supplements to Medicare, but they cover only 20% of what Medicare covers and doesn’t cover what medicare won’t cover, which is care outside of the U.S.

I find it safer to read what my plan covers. Any travel supplier will e mail a copy. You would be surprised at what some plans won’t cover. Also, 90% of the plans offered by travel suppliers, airlines, cruiselines, tour companies are from Berkely, a company with a terrible track record for coverage and claims--- according to reviews. I have read the plans offered by various companies. My travel agent offers a better plan but it is twice the cost of anything I find on insuremytrip.

“I was told it would be covered under the same circumstances as if you needed an ambulance. Many people are covered when "life-lifted" by helicopter here in the US.” Covered at what price? Cruise ship evac or private plane to a first world hospital where doctors speak English is very expensive. It’s not an ambulance. Experts I’ve read in AAARP and other travel articles say one needs at least $200,000 worth of medical evac insurance. Buyer beware. Not a problem until one has a problem.

“Many people overlook the fact that MANY Medicare supplement plans provide international coverage at the same level as the US coverage.”

Yes, there are supplements to Medicare, but they cover only 20% of what Medicare covers and doesn’t cover what medicare won’t cover, which is care outside of the U.S.

I find it safer to read what my plan covers. Any travel supplier will e mail a copy. You would be surprised at what some plans won’t cover. Also, 90% of the plans offered by travel suppliers, airlines, cruiselines, tour companies are from Berkely, a company with a terrible track record for coverage and claims--- according to reviews. I have read the plans offered by various companies. My travel agent offers a better plan but it is twice the cost of anything I find on insuremytrip.

“I was told it would be covered under the same circumstances as if you needed an ambulance. Many people are covered when "life-lifted" by helicopter here in the US.” Covered at what price? Cruise ship evac or private plane to a first world hospital where doctors speak English is very expensive. It’s not an ambulance. Experts I’ve read in AAARP and other travel articles say one needs at least $200,000 worth of medical evac insurance. Buyer beware. Not a problem until one has a problem.

Excuse me, but I happen to be a retired insurance agent. Medicare supplement plans g,n and f, to name a few, all provide international coverage. I would suggest you look this up on the internet.

Excuse me, but I happen to be a retired insurance agent. Medicare supplement plans g,n and f, to name a few, all provide international coverage. I would suggest you look this up on the internet.

Thank you for that information. I really do appreciate it. I did google it and I am happy to be corrected and learn more. However, what I learned is those plans cover only 80% of the medical costs, Trip insurance still needs to cover the rest, the amount of which one cannot predict. In addition, there is a lifetime limit in those plans. Given the cost of healthcare, even in places outside the U.S, the amount might be exceeded eventually.

My husband has one of those federally set up medigap plans you allude to and that are available in all states. But, not everyone would choose one of those plans for individual reasons. Some travelers who worked in state government or a public school district are offered excellent and even better rates provided by the state pension plan. I pay much less than my husband does and I get more benefits.

Also, if one of a couple doesn't choose the federal medigap plan, it may not be cost effective to buy two different trip insurance policies.

There is still the issue of the astronomical cost of private medical evacuation, if required, by helicopter and/or plane combined with the cost of accommodations and transportation for the family to stay near their sick family member, and if necessary, flying other family members to the town/city. In addition, in case of death, sending the body home. Very very expensive.

This happened to a cousin who was air lifted into a helicopter, her husband brought up in long basket. . They were flown from the ship to a hospital in Texas, fortunately not far from the ship. He pulled through but was hospitalized for a month and his adult children were flown to the hospital and had rooms in a hotel close to their mother. A good trip Insurance policy covered it all.

My only point is---it's better to know before one goes. Better to be safe by doing ones own due diligence by reading the fine print than being socked with a huge bill after because one relied on listening to someone who wants to sell a policy. Just a suggestion from someone who is always interested in learning more.

Here is the info from the Medigap website and the URL:

Medigap & travel

"Your Medigap policy may offer additional coverage for health care services or supplies that you get outside the U.S.

Standard Medigap Plans C, D, F, G, M, and N provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S.

Plans E, H, I, and J are no longer for sale, but if you bought one before June 1, 2010 you may keep it. All of these plans also provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S.

Medigap Plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, and N pay 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year. These Medigap policies cover foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.

Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000."

http://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/medigap-and-travel/medigap-and-travel.html

My point is nothing more than you have just proven...many people are unaware of the coverage available through their supplement. Whether or not you choose to add to this coverage is up to you, but this is available in addition to any other coverage. Some of the private plans you allude to may also offer different deductibles and/or higher limits overseas.

You should also consider where you are traveling. You do not need as much coverage in Europe as you might in Africa or Asia.

Edited by 3418ahl