Azamara Journey – March 3 Sailing - Cancelled

AzamaraJoel

Having arrived in Shanghai on Feb 28 with no subsequent phone or e-mail contact by Azamara regarding cruise cancellation, my wife & I took a taxi to Shanghai Hyatt March 3rd and spoke to Robert who said we were on our own financially if we wanted to remain in China & join the Journey in Hong Kong. A young Chinese lady on the Go Team then helped my wife plan (via a Chinese TA) a river cruise starting in western China with a flight to Hong Kong. Late that afternoon, we have an e-mail travel proposal of US$2,000 per person. In our reply, we ask if the TA accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. Early morning of March 4th, we have a reply from the Chinese TA saying they only accept a certain Chinese credit card.

Later that morning of the 4th, we get our very first Azamara phone call at our hotel from an RCCL lady who had flew in the night before to help Azamara's Go Team. With no immediate means of paying for further travel in China, she asked if we would like to fly home and return to Hong Kong for the March 17 cruise at Azamara's expense. Within 20 minutes, she had made arrangements for us to fly home the next day and return to Hong Kong on March 16, then stay overnight at a Hong Kong hotel with transport there and to the Journey on the 17th.

So, after an unnecessary slow start, Azarama's Go Team rep (on loan from RCCL) resolved our issues to our satisfaction.

Hi dr carl, most reports back thus far have been in general, really good and positive. You guys seem to have slipped through the net for whatever reason which seems odd and inconsistent. A learning perhaps for AZ?

Good you are home safe. See you on the 16th in salisbury at around 7pm or the MandM on board.

Best. David

Edited by 150edmiston

Just wondering if Azamara had to contact all 694 PAX (I think that is what the ship holds) or did they only have to contact one person per cabin? By cabin (397 cabins) would be a lot less phone calls.

I see I can't divide, It should be 347 PAX not 397

With no immediate means of paying for further travel in China, she asked if we would like to fly home and return to Hong Kong for the March 17 cruise at Azamara's expense. Within 20 minutes, she had made arrangements for us to fly home the next day and return to Hong Kong on March 16, then stay overnight at a Hong Kong hotel with transport there and to the Journey on the 17th.

I wondered about this solution by AZ.

Wouldn't it be less expensive and less of a wear and strain to have left them in Shanghai or put them on a Viking/Victoria/etc river cruise up the Yangtze?

I had not looked up the airfare from Shanghai and from US back to Hong Kong but it would seem to me about $2,000 per person.

Just a thought.

I wondered about this solution by AZ.

Wouldn't it be less expensive and less of a wear and strain to have left them in Shanghai or put them on a Viking/Victoria/etc river cruise up the Yangtze?

I had not looked up the airfare from Shanghai and from US back to Hong Kong but it would seem to me about $2,000 per person.

Just a thought.

I would be very interested if you could show me a two-week Viking river cruise for $2000 per person.

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to clarify the use of Future Cruise Credit certificates for close-in sailings. Unfortunately there has been some confusion on this topic.

I can confirm that you are able to use your Future Cruise Credit certificate for close-in sailings. All you - or your travel agent - need to do is to call your local booking office during regular hours, and they will handle it for you. This process has been clarified with all of our booking offices.

We are really sorry that this became so difficult! Hopefully it is not too late.

Best regards,

Signe Bjorndal

Director of Global Marketing

I just tried to have my two Future Cruise Credits (from the Feb 17 and March 3 Journey cruises) applied to "close-in" sailings (June 2014, with final payments due this month) through my TA and he was told I'd have to pay the final payment myself and that sometime in the future my credit card account would be credited the amounts of the Future Cruise Credits. Strikes me this is cumbersome for the customer trying to manage cash flow, and at this time I don't know how Azamara will even calculate the amount of the credits, as one of the cruises has ChoiceAir credits involved in the fare, etc.

I regret to say that even with Signe Bjorndal's message above the process still seems to be "so difficult.":(

I can report that Azamara has credited our card for the Shore Excursions booked for this cruise. They have also credited a partial, but substantial, amount for what we paid for the cruise. These credits were applied on March 11th. I will report back when we are paid in full.

I can report that Azamara has credited our card for the Shore Excursions booked for this cruise. They have also credited a partial, but substantial, amount for what we paid for the cruise. These credits were applied on March 11th. I will report back when we are paid in full.
We had the same experience. The shore excursions refund was correct. The refund for cruise fare was significantly less than we paid. We've received no explanation for the discrepancy, and I've inquired through our TA to find out how they came up with that number. Others have reported the same discrepancy on the roll call thread for the March 3 cruise.

The partial refund for the shortened February 17 cruise was also less than we were told we should expect.

We had the same experience. The shore excursions refund was correct. The refund for cruise fare was significantly less than we paid. We've received no explanation for the discrepancy, and I've inquired through our TA to find out how they came up with that number. Others have reported the same discrepancy on the roll call thread for the March 3 cruise.

The partial refund for the shortened February 17 cruise was also less than we were told we should expect.

I checked with Nicole in Customer Relations today to find out what the $330 difference on our refund for the cancelled March 3 cruise was. As I expected, she said that it was due to cancellation charges for the cancelled airfare that we booked through Choice Air. She said that Azamara should credit us with that amount within two weeks.

I was also told that the future cruise certificates would be issued within 4 to 6 weeks.

They are also working on claims that were submitted for additional expenses in the order that the claims were submitted. She was able to give me the name of the person working on our claim.

I checked with Nicole in Customer Relations today to find out what the $330 difference on our refund for the cancelled March 3 cruise was. As I expected, she said that it was due to cancellation charges for the cancelled airfare that we booked through Choice Air. She said that Azamara should credit us with that amount within two weeks.

I was also told that the future cruise certificates would be issued within 4 to 6 weeks.

They are also working on claims that were submitted for additional expenses in the order that the claims were submitted. She was able to give me the name of the person working on our claim.

Thanks for the update. Interesting.

The discrepancy between what we paid for the March 3 cruise and the amount refunded is $2386.34. That does not appear to be a cancellation fee

Thanks for the update. Interesting.

The discrepancy between what we paid for the March 3 cruise and the amount refunded is $2386.34. That does not appear to be a cancellation fee.

An update:

Three more credits appeared on my credit card, one for the amount of taxes and fees paid for the March 3 cruise, and the other two in amounts unexplainable by me. However, when added together, they total the $2386.34 shortfall from the initial refund amount. So it looks like they've made us whole for the March 3 cancelled cruise. That's good news.

There was one additional credit for a small amount I can't reconcile with any specific charges paid by me, and it's significantly less than two days worth of refund for the February 17 shortened cruise, so I'll wait and see what else appears on my credit card account.

This is quite encouraging...and more timely than we were led to expect.

Three more credits appeared on my credit card, one for the amount of taxes and fees paid for the March 3 cruise, and the other two in amounts unexplainable by me. However, when added together, they total the $2386.34 shortfall from the initial refund amount. So it looks like they've made us whole for the March 3 cancelled cruise. That's good news.

There was one additional credit for a small amount I can't reconcile with any specific charges paid by me, and it's significantly less than two days worth of refund for the February 17 shortened cruise, so I'll wait and see what else appears on my credit card account.

This is quite encouraging...and more timely than we were led to expect.

I, too, got refunds--in four separate transactions--yesterday to my credit cards [i'd used one to pay the balance and a second for the deposit] for the cancelled 3 March cruise. Though it took me some time to reconcile them, I've found that [a] two total my deposit, and , two represent my cruise fare and port taxes/fees following exclusion of credits to the basic cruise fare I received for having booked aboard and for having booked back-to-back-to back sailings... The numbers initially looked funny but they did add up...

Yesterday, I also received refunds to my credit cards for two Azamara Land Discoveries I'd booked during the 3 March trip... Each of those transactions was easily identifiable as the amount represented the full amount I'd paid...

To date, I've not seen a partial credit for the cruise fare/port taxes and fees for the 17 February trip that ended prematurely... I'm assuming--but don't know--that some portion of the port taxes/fees paid for this sailing were associated with our anticipated arrival in Shanghai on 3 March [that is to say that not all the charges associated with being in Shanghai were associated with the already refunded 3 March sailing] and that some flat dolllar amount [rather than a pro-rata share of the port taxes/fees paid for the 17 February trip] will be part of that refund...

I agree... To Azamara's credit, it's happening faster than expected...

--Mike

marinaro44

I just managed to have my FCC for the March 3 sailing applied to a close in June booking - I called the booking office this morning, explained that I had an option that expired this evening and asked if they could at least give me an amount for the FCC. They then called through to the FCC department and managed to get mine processed while I waited, and then it was applied directly to my booking. So if it isn't too late for you, you may wish to try again and see if you have any success.

(I had previously called earlier in the week and was told this wasn't possible but decided to try again)

Just a note, one thing I did learn was that if the FCC is a higher value than the base price of the booking it is being applied to (price prior to Port fees and taxes being added) then you would lose the remainder of the FCC.

Have a good weekend everyone

Jane:)

marinaro44

I just managed to have my FCC for the March 3 sailing applied to a close in June booking - I called the booking office this morning, explained that I had an option that expired this evening and asked if they could at least give me an amount for the FCC. They then called through to the FCC department and managed to get mine processed while I waited, and then it was applied directly to my booking. So if it isn't too late for you, you may wish to try again and see if you have any success.

(I had previously called earlier in the week and was told this wasn't possible but decided to try again)

Just a note, one thing I did learn was that if the FCC is a higher value than the base price of the booking it is being applied to (price prior to Port fees and taxes being added) then you would lose the remainder of the FCC.

Have a good weekend everyone

Jane:)

Thanks for posting, Jane. Very helpful. Hope you have a great cruise. If you'll be on Journey in June, I'll see you there. Edited by marinaro44

we'll be on the Quest, but hope to meet up again in the future.:)

Hope so.

Two more refund credits hit last night, and they look exactly like one-seventh--or two days worth--of our cruise fares for the February 17 cruise. No accounting for taxes and fees, so that's either yet to come or they figure we did get to all ports, even if to Shanghai by air. Either way is OK by me.

I'm delighted with how quickly and how accurately this was handled.

This morning our credit card showed 2 refunds, exactly 2 14ths the base fare that we paid for the cruise for 17 Feb. It was sort of confusing since it came from Celebrity instead of Azamara, but I figured they were helping. Great since we really only missed 1 day and they flew us to Shanghai and put us up in that gorgeous hotel, etc.

This morning our credit card showed 2 refunds, exactly 2 14ths the base fare that we paid for the cruise for 17 Feb. It was sort of confusing since it came from Celebrity instead of Azamara, but I figured they were helping. Great since we really only missed 1 day and they flew us to Shanghai and put us up in that gorgeous hotel, etc.
Our refund credits were attributed to "Royal Caribbean - Miami FL." Agree, silkismom: Azamara handled this very generously.

Got my two-day credit as well for the 2/17 sailing! The letter I received onboard was clear that the credit would be based on the net cruise price (before taxes and fees.)

I'm happy and am just holding my breath for the 2016 itineraries so that I can use my future cruise credit and meet all of you fun folks again!

Got my two-day credit as well for the 2/17 sailing! The letter I received onboard was clear that the credit would be based on the net cruise price (before taxes and fees.)

I'm happy and am just holding my breath for the 2016 itineraries so that I can use my future cruise credit and meet all of you fun folks again!

It would be our pleasure if we were ever lucky enough to book the same Azamara cruise as you! I read your cruise review and thought you captured the essence of being on the ship and visiting those ports so well. I'm glad you still enjoyed the trip despite its unfortunate ending.

The letter we were given on-board in fact said the amount refunded for the February 17 cruise would be "based on the cruise fare paid for this voyage" and said nothing about it being before or after taxes and fees. The letter also said passengers on the March 3 cruise would get "a full refund of the cruise fare paid," also with no mention of taxes and fees.

We were refunded taxes and fees for the March 3 cruise but not for the February 17 cruise, so there has to be some specific reason for treating the two cruise refunds differently, perhaps because we did reach all the February 17 ports, albeit the final one by plane and not ship. This is not a complaint, just a clarification. As I've written more than once here, Azamara has handled this very generously.

I should say, puppypundit, that your review of the February 17 cruise is superb. Some felt it necessary to start a thread with a link to their review of this cruise. You might think to do the same.

[Q

I should say, puppypundit, that your review of the February 17 cruise is superb. Some felt it necessary to start a thread with a link to their review of this cruise. You might think to do the same.

i agree that a thread with a link to your review, puppypundit, would be a delightful addition to the forum page. I would love to cruise with you anytime. Happy travels.

Hi Lisa, loved your review and the mention of my pink bootees!!

I am still waiting patiently regarding refunds and cruise credit, nothing so far, but things always seem to be slower in the Uk.

So after 2 calls to Miami, I was told today that my refund has been made to the agent I used rather than to the card I paid with and whilst this was allegedly actioned on the 11th March, the agent has received neither the money or a notification that a refund would take place. Why is it always so difficult/different for customers from the UK?

I am guessing that the discount voucher will also go to the agent whom I no longer use. I informed the relevant people on board ship that I now had a new agent with whom my next 2 cruises were booked and specified that the voucher should go to them or to myself, I was told that this would not be a problem but I'm beginning to doubt that this will be the case.

Is anyone else encountering the same problems as myself?