Can you see bears in June? If so, where?

terigo

We're taking a northbound Alaska cruise, so we'll be in Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait Point and Ketchikan.

We will be there the second week in June. Is there a particular excursion we can take at that time of the year where we will be able to see bears?

It's on my "must do" list.

Any particular tour operator for this?

Thanks!

Teri

When we went to Alaska (late may/early june...same ports), I heard that there was a successful bear excursion in Icy Strait.

We also saw this bear foraging for food on our way to Tracy Arm (long excursion out of Juneau). The captain pulled up right next to him for a moment before he disappeared back into the brush.

7158269411_42611db3ac.jpg

Bear at Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

I also heard of people finding bears along the road on the way to Emerald Lake from Skagway.

Im not sure when the salmon run happens, but from what I have read, seeing bears is a lot more frequent during that time.

Good luck!

Brown bears? black bears?

Look thru this link for the Alaska fish and game dept:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewing.bearviewingsites

Or look at trip reports around that date to get names of vendors. Trip reports are in the STICKY above called '2013 alaska cruise reviews'. Go to reply #45 where the reports are grouped by cruiseline/ship.

Thanks!

Do you know what these excursions were?

Teri

I am a DIYer when it comes to excursions, but this is what I remember:

I think in Icy Strait Point, it was the "Whales, Wildlife & Brown Bear Search" - through Royal Caribbean

For Juneau, we booked with Adventure Bound Alaska - if you are lucky that your ship is in port long enough, it is well worth it!

For Skagway, just rent a car and drive out towards Emerald Lake.

Now I think about it, we did see a bear in Ketchikan while kayaking. We booked Southeast Sea Kayaks Orcas Cove Tour.

Good luck!

Most of the above posts were PURE CHANCE and not likely repeating areas. This is chance.

You are too early for the bear tours out of Ketchikan, also later for seeing them on the Klondike Highway, much less chance to see them, compared to May and early June. They head for higher ground.

There are better chances out of Hoonah, but your "best" stats for sightings is Denali Park- with a northbound trip, you are going there? Biggest bargain in Alaska, with taking the shuttle bus to at least Eielson.

Happened upon a bear coming back from Fraser (took the train up) on a bus back down. Driver was communicating with other guides in the area. They all share the wildlife info.

He was feasting on the dandelions right along side the road. We were probably 25 feet away. Made that $1000 camera and accessories worth every penny.

We were there in mid June.

I was in Denali yesterday and the bears are out there.....They have also been sighted in the garbage cans up on hillside in Anchorage. The city has over 800 bears...both black and brown....living within the city....also 1500 moose...but you never want to get close to either one of them...Remember, most animals sleep in mid day. They are active early in the am and again in the late afternoon....

There have been some bear sightings last week. Bears just live in the areas- and go from place to place looking for food. By chance- you might see them- it can be any time. August, when the salmon are in the streams, they are at times closer to the roadways- and do hang out a lot at the Mendenhall Glacier.