Happy Canon User

HappyCanonUser

As cruisers with some experience we often find that it takes most of the cruise to meet a few couples that we enjoy common interests with and wish we knew before the cruise started so that we could enjoy more time together. For that reason my wife suggested we try this forum to try to make that possible. We are departing on the 12 day cruise from Venice on the 28th of August. We are Neptune users that enjoy fine dining and good wine. My wife is a photographer who always enjoys someone else that longs for the chase of the days perfect picture. We have traveled a fair amount and enjoy discovering what shouldn't be missed at each port of call as the locals would define it. We reside in Florida but she is from Indiana and I am from Maine originally....we look forward to new friends and new adventures....

As cruisers with some experience we often find that it takes most of the cruise to meet a few couples that we enjoy common interests with and wish we knew before the cruise started so that we could enjoy more time together. For that reason my wife suggested we try this forum to try to make that possible. We are departing on the 12 day cruise from Venice on the 28th of August. We are Neptune users that enjoy fine dining and good wine. My wife is a photographer who always enjoys someone else that longs for the chase of the days perfect picture. We have traveled a fair amount and enjoy discovering what shouldn't be missed at each port of call as the locals would define it. We reside in Florida but she is from Indiana and I am from Maine originally....we look forward to new friends and new adventures....

One of the really good Boards on Cruise Critic is the Roll Call Board. There, you can access the cruise line, scroll down to find your ship, access the date of your cruise, and then post.

I have done this on every cruise I have taken once I found CC. Not always, but normally you will find an active Roll Call for your cruise and by participating in the discussions that take place, you may well find some "friends" even before you embark on your cruise.

Try it! I think you might like it!

From one Cannon user to another, keep us in mind should we book the same cruise one day we'd love to meet. For us it's the Baltic Adventure July 27th.

"Real" photographers won't touch anything that's not a Nikon:D

"Real" photographers won't touch anything that's not a Nikon:D

Yes, I can buy into that. My Dad bought a Nikon and it was so complicated I just set it on auto. Really, it's a very detail oriented camera. I can only imagine the pics I could take if I could assimilate all the feedback it gives you.

#wayoutofmyleague

:)

Yes, I can buy into that. My Dad bought a Nikon and it was so complicated I just set it on auto. Really, it's a very detail oriented camera. I can only imagine the pics I could take if I could assimilate all the feedback it gives you.

#wayoutofmyleague

:)

Sometimes, not always, "auto" is the correct setting to use. Let the camera do the work for you.

By the way, Cannon is a fine camera. It's just what system you have bought into. Once you have an investment in lenses, it's almost impossible to switch.

HamOp... As we professionals all learned in photography school, the photographer makes the art, not the camera. However, I still love my Canons, my Nikons and, even, my Pentax (also my Mamiya twin lens). As an 'exercise' one day they forced us to go out and shoot with a pinhole camera. There were some amazing results. A number of years ago, Popular Photography sent out a bunch of pros with point and shoot, single focus cameras and they produced some great pictures. Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HamOp... As we professionals all learned in photography school, the photographer makes the art, not the camera. However, I still love my Canons, my Nikons and, even, my Pentax (also my Mamiya twin lens). As an 'exercise' one day they forced us to go out and shoot with a pinhole camera. There were some amazing results. A number of years ago, Popular Photography sent out a bunch of pros with point and shoot, single focus cameras and they produced some great pictures. Just sayin'.

Yep, my pet peeve is when someone will look at one of my photographs that has taken much thought as to lighting, angle, subject matter, depth of field and all the rest, and say "that's a wonderful photograph, you must have a really good camera!" Kind of like telling a chef the meal is great. He must have a wonderful stove....

Hi

I sure wish I was on the cruise with you.....I totally understand the quest for the day's perfect picture. I am leaving on the Noordam May 7th from "Rome" to Barcelona...should be lots of great photo ops on this one. just hope I can use them well. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep, my pet peeve is when someone will look at one of my photographs that has taken much thought as to lighting, angle, subject matter, depth of field and all the rest, and say "that's a wonderful photograph, you must have a really good camera!" Kind of like telling a chef the meal is great. He must have a wonderful stove....

Great point! Some of my most vivid colourful pictures have come from my mainstream fuji camera but since we upgraded our canon and added a high quality lens we've gone from nice pics to wow pics. Not every pic mind you but once in a while I catch lightning in a bottle. ;)

Or a writer they must have a great typewriter.

Did I just date myself????

My first photography exposure (after childhood with a Kodak Brownie), was in the Air Force. The first camera I used was a Speed Graphic... for those of you too young to remember, think back to the original TV Superman -- that's the cameras the newspaper photos used with the great big, lightbulb sized flash bulbs. Graduated from that to a linhof 4 x 5 studio camera, then an 8 x 10 Linhof studio camera. My first personal camera was an Anniversay Graphic (2 1/2 by 3 1/2) , then came an Asahi (yes, ) Asahi) Pentax 35mm. Next came a Mamiya C2 twin lens using roll film. After the Air Force, I went to Rochester Institute of Technology in the photography program. My next camera was a Nikon 35mm, then a Canon 35mm, then another Pentax (digital this time) and, finally, another Canon digital. Yes, I am an 'old-timer'. How about you folks?

Edited by budisal

Just want to say "Welcome to the CC Boards"! You will find lots of good, helpful info here from folks willing to share their wisdom. I agree with rkacruiser who suggested the Roll Call Board. Through that board, we have met new friends, shared excursions, and learned so much about ports and ships that we would not have known otherwise.

Enjoy your cruise!