Not Your Standard Hotel Question

djcass4199

Hey everyone.

The family and I are cruising Carnival Triumph out of NOLA in November, last week to be exact. I'm searching for a hotel and I'm finding that everything in the port area/Convention Center area are expensive. We also don't want to stay in the French Quarter.

Does anyone have any experience with hotels perhaps 10-15 minutes away from the port? We still want to drive there the evening before so we can see where the port is and what parking looks like. We've never cruised out of NOLA so it'll be first time. We also would like a hotel close to lots of restaurants so we can step out for a quick dinner.

Thanks so much for any help!

The Veteran's Memorial Blvd area of Metairie would be a good area with a couple malls and a lot of restaurants...And the Kenner area hotels by the airport are just a few miles up the road.

Edited by Saint Greg

I am going to disagree and say that you should stay on the east side of town in Slidell just off of Interstate 10 since you will be driving in east. No sense in crossing all the way over to Metairie/Kenner.

Slidell is a typical suburban town with plenty of cost friendly hotels such as Hampton, Courtyard, Fairfield, etc. Slidell also has all your typical fast casual restaurants and grocery stores with free parking.

While I know you want to drive to the port the night before "just to see" I really think that is a bit overkill and waste of time in this day and age of google maps on every phone that will easily get you exactly where you need to go.

The OP is from Georgia according to the profile, hence my suggestion for Slidell.

Yes, we are driving from GA. I had thought of Slidell and also had thought of Biloxi, MS. But would prefer to be close to port and not an hour away.

There are several hotels in the garden district that are considerably cheaper than the ones located near the port. I booked the prytania park hotel for $139 a night. They offer free cruise parking if you book two nights. It's a mile from the cruise terminal but there is a street car stop right outside.

• 4 weeks later...

So for an update we absolutely loved the Prytania Park hotel. The charming old world king room was very large, well appointed and even though the headboard was against the outer wall with windows to the street it was very quiet.

The breakfast wasn't really much to brag about and at 9:01 it was picked up. They had waffles, muffins, coffee and fruit cups. Enough I guess but we were in New Orleans anyway, I wanted something better.

Just about every channel you can imagine was on the TV, the a/c worked great, plenty of parking and it was only a $6 uber ride to the port.

I generally try and stay at Hilton properties but during our cruise they were all $300+ per night plus parking. So $327 for two nights with free parking was a steal.

Also I'd strongly suggest not using the street cars. You'll see 3 of them headed the wrong direction and an hour later the same three are stacked up and full of people. Not real reliable. Uber is very reliable!

• 2 weeks later...