Best Port to Depart from for Canada/New England Cruise

dmlee1990

My family and I are interested in a Canada/New England Cruise September 2016. We prefer HAL, Princess or Royal Carribbean. Each departs from different East Coast ports. Which cruiseline and departure port would you recommend and why? Thank you!

Could you provide more details? Exact dates you are considering? Flying or driving? Number of people? Precruise budget?

Boston and NY hotels are expensive. There are three ports in the New York area - Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ. There is only one port in Boston. Royal Caribbean sails from Cape Liberty and Boston. Princess usually sails from Brooklyn, and HAL sails from Manhattan and Boston. New York has three airports - JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark. If possible, you want to fly into the airport that is best for the port you are sailing from.

Just another comment about the ports. Sailing from Manhattan is a fantastic experience going down the Hudson past the NY skyline, the Statue of Liberty, and the Verazzano Bridge.

However Boston is a much easier port if you can find an affordable hotel. The airport is close to the Cruiseport across the harbor. Transportation between the two is more reasonable as well. Hotwire can be a very good option depending on your dates. Downtown Boston is small and any 3*+ hotel will be acceptable.

Since you asked, there is nothing like sailing out of NYC. yes the other ports have their good points and I am not knocking them, but there is just so much to see sailing out of NY.

As was said, you sail down the Hudson river, past the new Freedom Tower, and the entire lower Manhattan skyline, then on the right you will sail right by the Statue of Liberty and then you sail right under the Verrazano Bridge. On a good day it seems like the ship just makes it under the bridge. You want to be out on deck for the entire experience. it is breathtaking.

Cheers

Len

• 3 months later...

If you want more time in Boston, use Royal Caribean from Boston, if the rest of itinerary and times, work for you.

It is important for us to leave from NY/NJ area as we are visiting family there. I would have preferred to have two days in Boston, but we need to leave from NY area. So that is that. I compared every ship, line, that leaves from there and checked itinerary times and dates.

For us, although I would rather leave from Manhatten, the Regal Princess itinerary and date works out better. (leaves from Brooklyn port)

So for views of NY sites from ship, I personally wouldn't base the ship for that one thing, if the rest of itinerary doesn't work for you.

There are also New England cruises from Baltimore, on RC. Good port. If you would be flying in, BWI is the nearest airport. If driving, you can park at the port, or drive in the day before, stay at a nearby hotel, and use their shuttle to the port, with free parking at the hotel for the length of the cruise.

We have sailed out of NY (Manhattan) on HAL and it would be hard to beat! Something about sailing down the Hudson past such a spectacular skyline, then Statue of Liberty, then Verrazano Narrows Bridge. I can't comment on the other departure ports (Brooklyn and NJ), but knowing roughly where they are I doubt it would be as scenic over all as you miss the first part of the sail down the Hudson.

Boston was pretty nice as well.

You could always look at sailing out if Quebec City or Montreal. This way you would be sailing into NY or Boston, which is also pretty amazing.

Edited by trophy_23

Personally, I like the cruises that leave from Montreal or Quebec City over those leaving from US ports. I like to go early and have a couple of days before the cruise.

Quebec is a great old city with lost of history. Montreal has a newer feel and is much more energetic. But I prefer both over US ports.

Sailing from Montreal means seeing Habitat '67 on the way out, though sunrise through Habitiat '67 is a sight worth getting up and out early for if your cruise ends in Montreal.

The other thing I consider is if chose a 1-way cruise leaving from a Canadian port, you clear US customs/immigration on the ship and don't have to worry about clearing Canadian customs/immigration and again at the airport prior to the flight home. I find this a much easier route than having to deal with clearing customs twice in one day.

BOSTON - Fly into Boston, Manchester, or Providence airports, spend a few days in Boston or Rhode Island ahead of your sailing. Rhode Island is a nice place to visit in the summer - Newport, Block Island, and Providence (for food and Waterfire.org events). Boston is great - lots of national historical sites and parks. Enjoy!