Drone rules for St. Maarteen

Tomballfam

I will be there in a a couple weeks and wanted to fly for some video and images. Has anyone flown here before?

Not much info using Google, thought someone on here would know better from first hand experience.

Ā 

Check with government of St Maarteen . Flying in some countries might be prohibited.

I will be there in a a couple weeks and wanted to fly for some video and images. Has anyone flown here before?

Not much info using Google, thought someone on here would know better from first hand experience.

Ā 

I'm surprised that Royal Caribbean would allow you to bring a drone on board. In 2011 they confiscated my small fan and I couldn't get it back until the end of the cruise.

I'm surprised that Royal Caribbean would allow you to bring a drone on board. In 2011 they confiscated my small fan and I couldn't get it back until the end of the cruise.

Ā 

Not surprised that in the Onboard Policies of RCCL, Drones were listed as prohibited. I should have figured as much since my fan was.:)

Ā 

Royal Caribbean has a policy about drones being flown on board. They hold them until you arrive at a port. If you want to take it, just give them the claim check and they will fetch it.

Royal Caribbean has a policy about drones being flown on board. They hold them until you arrive at a port. If you want to take it, just give them the claim check and they will fetch it.

Ā 

Oh I see. It doesn't say that on the policy that I read. Just don't pull a Trevor Bauer! I couldn't believe how narley his finger looked when he was pitching against the Blue a Jays a couple of weeks ago. He was playing with his drone on his off day when he did some major damage to his finger requiring 10 stitches I think. I guess no playing with drones in October will be in his next contract lol

Edited by Karysa

• 2 weeks later...

I literally just got off the phone with Celebrity. They have modified their drone policy fleet-wide to allow drones in the ports that allow them.

Ā 

Upon boarding you surrender the drone (you can keep the charger and batteries with you), and upon exiting the ship in ports that allow drones, you can pick it up at the gangway. Upon returning to the ship you would then surrender it back to security until the next port. Seemed a reasonable compromise....

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Netherland side of the Island I found this law "Individuals may fly with some drones, as they adhere to the rules. The drone example must always be visible to the pilot. And within the urban area can not be flown."

Ā 

For the French side it seems to be a lot more restrictive. Found this - "Outdoor use of flying machines, even small and uninhabited, is considered an aviation activity and therefore falls under the regulations applicable to civil aviation. Two texts 17/12/2015 define security regulations for the use of unmanned civil aircraft:"

Ā 

Source - http://uavcoach.com

Ā 

However I have seen several users on both sides with no issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in St. Maarten last week and had no issues flying on the Dutch side, I did not try on the French side. Once I get done with the footage I will post it. Here is some drone footage I shot from Half Moon Cay, Holland America private island.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by tgeonetta

I was in St. Maarten last week and had no issues flying on the Dutch side, I did not try on the French side. Once I get done with the footage I will post it. Here is some drone footage I shot from Half Moon Cay, Holland America private island.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

How close was your drone from Princess Julianna airport/Maho beach?

My drone wont allow me to get into any FAA regulated airspace. It is limited by software. I was at least 6 miles away from the airport.

Ā 

Thank you for explaining this I should have figured that this wasn't something that could just be left up to one's discretion.šŸ˜€