the dolomites

Host Star

the dolomites

has anyone driven thru the dolomites from venice up to Cortina... or vittorio venetto.. we are taking one day post cruise , renting a car and plan to drive up to Cortina, then start back staying overnite at Vittorio Venetto which is a medieval village in the prosseco wine country approx. an hour from the venice airport... our flight is 11:30 a.m. .. reports are that you need to allow 3 hours at the venice airport...

We went a little ways into the Dolomites. My daughter lives in Pordenone, and we went from there to a little town called Barcis, and beyond a ways. The roads were in great shape, although you did have to be careful as they're not as wide as in the US.

If you leave from the ship in the morning, you might not have enough time to make it to Cortina and back, especially if you (as we did) stopped frequently for photos and traveling up little side roads. It is incredibly beautiful and I would love to spend a week or more wandering around there (maybe next time we visit our daughter).

Our flight was also around 11:30 and we were at the airport by 9 am. Had just enough time to check bags, go through security, do a little shopping, then board around 10:45 or so. If you have a window seat, you can get a great view of Venice (it's pretty tiny from a few thousand feet up).

We went a little ways into the Dolomites. My daughter lives in Pordenone, and we went from there to a little town called Barcis, and beyond a ways. The roads were in great shape, although you did have to be careful as they're not as wide as in the US.

If you leave from the ship in the morning, you might not have enough time to make it to Cortina and back, especially if you (as we did) stopped frequently for photos and traveling up little side roads. It is incredibly beautiful and I would love to spend a week or more wandering around there (maybe next time we visit our daughter).

Our flight was also around 11:30 and we were at the airport by 9 am. Had just enough time to check bags, go through security, do a little shopping, then board around 10:45 or so. If you have a window seat, you can get a great view of Venice (it's pretty tiny from a few thousand feet up).

we are planning to stay overnite approx. an hour from the airport and not head back in the morning from cortina... we have a reservation at Vittorio venetto.. about half way..and allow time to return the rental car and we should be inside the terminal by 9 if all goes as planned

Edited by Host Star

The drive on the Great Road of the Dolomites to Cortina is one of my favorite trips of all time. I did it in the winter - I can only imagine what it is like in the summer! It was a beautiful drive. Be sure to take your Dramamine before you start if you get motion sickness at all - lots of curves and switchbacks.