St Maarten. Maho Beach

HELEN HENRY

Maho Beach

Could someone tell me please how along it will take in a taxi to get to Maho Beach from the town centre. And can you tell me what is the best time to visit this beach to see the planes. Also, the cost of taxi fares to Maho Beach.

Thank you very much in advance for any information received.

Figure about 15 min (it might be a little faster). Most would say that the best time is early afternoon between 1 and 3.

Hank

I would estimate that it takes 25 minutes or so to get to Maho from town in the day time via automobile at least. I like the 11-1:30 timeframe from March-October and 12-2:30 from October to March.

Maho Beach

Could someone tell me please how along it will take in a taxi to get to Maho Beach from the town centre. And can you tell me what is the best time to visit this beach to see the planes. Also, the cost of taxi fares to Maho Beach.

Taxi for 2 people from Philipsburg to Maho Beach will be in the $18-$20 range. Three or more people in a taxi is $7-$9 pp. one way. Plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the pier or into town.

You can also take a bus for $2 pp that you can catch on Back St. which runs parallel to Front St. The bus will take approx. an hour or less to get to Maho from Philipsburg. The license plate will indicate *BUS* and a sign in their window states, Maho.

Simpson Bay Area is very crowded and congested, at least when we were there. It took longer to get to Maho than I expected. Though it was nice seeing the planes, I wouldn't want to spend several hours there.

Taxi for 2 people from Philipsburg to Maho Beach will be in the $18-$20 range. Three or more people in a taxi is $7-$9 pp. one way. Plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the pier or into town.

You can also take a bus for $2 pp that you can catch on Back St. which runs parallel to Front St. The bus will take approx. an hour or less to get to Maho from Philipsburg. The license plate will indicate *BUS* and a sign in their window states, Maho.

I am going to assume that those same $2 buses are taking people back to town. Also, do you know if they would drop off next door to Mullete beach?

I am going to assume that those same $2 buses are taking people back to town. Also, do you know if they would drop off next door to Mullete beach?

I know that the bus are marked with Mullet Beach as their terminal stop

and that Maho beach is for sure not their terminal stop as I took the bus back from Maho to Philipsburg and the bus was coming out of the direction Mullet. There is not really a regular busstop at Maho Beach, I just waited at the round-about and waived a bus and it stopped.

(at the round-about there is also a small supermarket to buy soft drinks if the bar at Maho is too crowded or too expensive for you)

I thought you could walk to maho beach from phillipsburg in about 30 mins :confused:

You can but, that "30 mins-"information is so wrong....I walked from Marigot (which is much closer) to Maho and I needed over 60 min.

To reach Maho from Philipsburg you even have to go over a hill, so it's at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours walk (if you're a fast walker). Look at a map of St.Maarten and you'll find out how far this two places are from each other.

Go to google-maps and look for:

Sunset Bar and Grill, Beacon Hill Road, Simpson Bay, St. Maarten, Sint Maarten

That's Maho - Philipsburg is far right, about 4 to 5 miles (as the bird flys)

Edited by onyx007

Simpson Bay Area is very crowded and congested, at least when we were there. It took longer to get to Maho than I expected. Though it was nice seeing the planes, I wouldn't want to spend several hours there.

During our 2 week vacation this July we noticed a huge improvement in traffic congestion compared to other years. The New Causeway bridge near the airport is the reason. People wanting to go to Marigot and Grand Case from the airport can now avoid the Simpson Bay area altogether. It also is a good option for taxis from Maho returning people back to town or the ship.

You can but, that "30 mins-"information is so wrong....I walked from Marigot (which is much closer) to Maho and I needed over 60 min.

To reach Maho from Philipsburg you even have to go over a hill, so it's at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours walk (if you're a fast walker). Look at a map of St.Maarten and you'll find out how far this two places are from each other.

Go to google-maps and look for:

Sunset Bar and Grill, Beacon Hill Road, Simpson Bay, St. Maarten, Sint Maarten

That's Maho - Philipsburg is far right, about 4 to 5 miles (as the bird flys)

You walked from Marigot to Maho? On the side of the road? If so, why? Did your car breakdown?

Sorry i did get it wrong post i read said 30 min walk from cruise port to phillipsburg reading so many posts getting mixed up lol:o

That would be about right from the pier to the middle of Front Street takes about 30 minutes. From the pier to the beginning of Front St or the boardwalk takes about 15 minutes.

That would be about right from the pier to the middle of Front Street takes about 30 minutes. From the pier to the beginning of Front St or the boardwalk takes about 15 minutes.

Hi is it a easy walk from cruise port into phillipsburg we are thinking of walking in having a look around the shops then catching a bus from back street to maho to see the planes then catching a taxi from maho back to the ship :)

Hi is it a easy walk from cruise port into phillipsburg we are thinking of walking in having a look around the shops then catching a bus from back street to maho to see the planes then catching a taxi from maho back to the ship :)

Yes, it's a flat, marked 15 minute walk. Sounds like a good plan.

Maho Beach

Thanks to everyone for their assistance and suggestions and information, it is all very much appreciated.