Bermuda - GLB Friendly Pubs, Clubs & Bars

CruisinMaterial

Hello Folks!

I was wondering if those of you who have traveled to Bermuda could help me with finding nightlife in Bermuda that is friendly towards the gay lifestyle. All the books I have on the island point me to a now defunct website. I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad sign in and of itself.

I did read that Bermuda does not really embrace the gay community very well so this has me wondering about the safety of these night time venues. Any thoughts on that too would be appreciated!

Any suggestions, thoughts on places you've been and recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

http://cb.tenfootsquare.com/caribbean/gay-travel-in-bermuda/

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091030007.html

http://blogs.usatoday.com/cruiselog/2007/04/antigay_sentime.html

I found a few things on google.

It seems to be mixed as to how homo's are treated in Bermuda. I guess if you really want to go just play it cool and go main stream. :(

Side note:

I had considered Bermuda in the past and until now I didnt realize that I wouldnt be that welcome there.

There is no gay anything in Bermuda, unfortunately. No gay beaches, bookstores, clubs, anything. There are gay people but they all have to live rather privately. It's not like Jamaica - you won't be in any danger - but you won't exactly be welcomed with open arms.

We've been to Bermuda for a day and LOVED it! We're pretty low key though - and usually travel with straight friends. We actually had a cruise booked to Bermuda in September and JUST changed it. Not for the reasons mentioned above - but because there is not much going on on the ships at night while docked there.

Bermuda closes down pretty early, compared to NYC or most orther US Cities. It's a very low key island.

If you enjoy beautiful beaches - a spotless island and nice people then go. I wouldn't go for the nightlife! ;)

There was plenty of nightlife when we were there for a week! It was all in Hamilton, which was where we were docked - I don't know if there's any at the port on the western edge of the island, and I know there's not any at the little port (both names are escaping me).

Hey Folks!

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming if you've got specific places (names) in mind and the experiences there at!

Ron - I didn't realize how unfriendly they were either until I started doing some digging. However as etoile mentioned it doesn't sound as bad as Jamaica (it's still beyond me why cruise ships call there). Thanks for the links. When I was on Google I wasn't getting anything that didn't take me to the history of the gay rights movement in Bermuda! I might have been using the wrong words I guess. :(

etoile - I'm not looking for open arms, just a good time. I'm going with mom on the cruise so I'll be in the club stag which is why I'm a little uneasy about it. I'm docking in St. Georges on the Eastern tip of the island. Hamilton is quite a ride from where we're docked. The Royal Naval Dockyard would have been a better location. Oh well! Just take the NCL Spirit next year and go back. I just hope the nightlife on the ship is good with the Freestyle 2.0 enhancements (like the White Hot Party).

disfan - I'm largely going to Bermuda because it's a SUPER steal on the cruise fare and it's a last minute booked vacation. I just booked it last Monday and I'm sailing in 4 weeks. I have not done that before!! I'll be exploring with mom during the day and then at night I'm all by onesies! :)

Keep those ideas and suggestions and details coming please!

Thanks!

~Jake

Good for you on the bargain! Enjoy it. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as folks bothering you - crime is pretty much non existant in Bermuda from what I hear. Where are you docking? Are you going from Boston? Which ship?

I'm sailing from Boston on the NCL Dream. I've got a roll call that's just me in this section some where. We're docking at Pennos Wharf just behind Ordinance Island in St. George. This is the furthest from Hamilton over land so that makes getting to Hamilton for night life all the harder. I was hoping there'd be a hang out in St. Georges that someone might know about. I know SPLASH is supposed to be the best dance club on the island for anyone and that's in Hamilton. :cool:

I just want as much information as I can get to make an "informed" decision on venturing down there for the night life (what exists of it).

I've been going to Bermuda since the mid 1970's...mostly by ship....there are not gay specific places to go but while onboard just ask teh crew where they go....there is a club in Hamilton that was always filled with crew(men men men) and in St George's there is plenty of pubs etc to keep busy with...along w/ the hotels there is quite a variety of activivties & I have always met other gay people.....

I never had a bad experience & truly love Bermuda....on the other hand after 2 visits to Jamaica...I will never return...

The Bermudians were lovely respectful people...enjoy...

Thanks for the information on Bermuda. Where specifically did you go in St. Georges? I know there's a place right between the two docks that has crew nights for the NCL folks. I saw that online some where.

I don't think Bermuda has anything officially gay. I've been poking around down there through several websites and it seems like there's what we have here in Lowell, MA - places that are more friendly than others but nothing entirely geared towards the gay community.

Either way that's good. Have you gone to SPLASH? If so, thoughts?

Thanks. :)

• 1 year later...

My buddy and I (both single) will be going to Bermuda the first time in May on NCL's Spirit from Boston. We are wondering if there will be other gay men going and how we can meet up with them on board. I have never cruised in my life and I am new to Cruise Critic. I understand that you will be on that cruise also?

My partner and I have been on 4 cruises to Bermuda with #5 on June 14th and #6 on October 3rd. We feel Bermuda is almost paradise, but I know others would disagree. We have never had a problem with any of the residents and always felt welcome. The beaches are incredible! I can't wait to get back.

Paul

Paul: Too bad you and your partner won't be on the NCL Spirit for the 5/22/09 cruise. Otherwise, it will be fun to meet you guys and get some suggestions on what to do / best beaches in Bermuda. Hope others on our 5/22 cruise will give us some ideas.

Roland (ptowngam)

My buddy and I (both single) will be going to Bermuda the first time in May on NCL's Spirit from Boston. We are wondering if there will be other gay men going and how we can meet up with them on board. I have never cruised in my life and I am new to Cruise Critic. I understand that you will be on that cruise also?

Not sure who you are saying would be on the cruise with you but I'm on the May 15th sailing. I will be waiving bye to you as you are getting ready to embark on your cruise. :( Happy thoughts being that I sail in two weeks from tomorrow!! :D

Don't forget about the Friends of Dorothy gathering. Check your FreeStyle Daily as NCL usually has one daily unhosted.

Hello All,

I did not have any problems in Hamilton since I always went out with the officers and crew at night. They all went to gay firendly places and I was able to dance with a couple of males at the nightclubs with no problem. At one I asked the bartender if it would cause any problems and she said to go and dance.

Roy

Hello All,

I did not have any problems in Hamilton since I always went out with the officers and crew at night. They all went to gay firendly places and I was able to dance with a couple of males at the nightclubs with no problem. At one I asked the bartender if it would cause any problems and she said to go and dance.

Roy

Roy - From what I can ascertain of the functioning gay friendly Bermuda websites there are only two nightclubs that really are gay friendly. What places did you go to? :) Thanks!

Yes, I'd like to know what bars are friendly too. I think I should start getting friendlier with the crews!

Roland, as for things to do, I could go on and on. Since your ship docks at the Dockyard pier, check out the Bermuda Glass works. They do glass blowing and they have seating to watch the process. I love to watch that. They also entertain questions. Their works are all for sale. Not to mention the Dockyard has shops/resturant's in it. You can also swim with Dolphin's at the Maritime museum there too if you wish????

Beaches: Horseshoe Bay beach is wonderful. #7 bus to get there. Concession stand sells snacks, soda, beer etc. Most of the south shore beaches are great.

Crystal Caves are very interesting and the Rum Swizzle Inn is right nearby. Got to have a Rum Swizzle!:D

Wandering around Hamilton is fun. Lots of shops, museums etc. Flanigan's Irish Pub on Front street has great beer and food. Second floor and sit outside on the porch. Great people watching spot.

Buy the transportation pass and it's good for all ferries and buses.

If you have any questions let me know.

Paul

Paul: Thanks for the advice! Will surely spend some time at Horseshoe. My friend and I have printed out bus route maps and plan to go explore the island by bus if we have time. Can't wait to just relax on the beach. BTW, do they rent out chairs/umbrellas at the beach? I suppose we have to grab a beach towel from NCL before we disembark. You can tell I'm a first time cruiser, LOL!

Roland

Anyone checking this blog going on the NCL Boston-Bermuda cruise on 5/22/09?

You'll have beach towels furnished to you by NCL. You can rent chairs and umbrellas as you enter the beach, by the snack food place I believe.

Paul

When I was there in 2003 a bunch of us went to the White Horse pub. A lot of the crew were there.

Thanks for the reply Jeffs! The Majesty crew might hang out there but the Dawn and Spirit crews are in the Dockyard. I am wondering with the introduction of a second ship and having a ship docked there six days a week if there is any new nightlife locations that have opened. Would be great if they're gay friendly but don't need to be. :)

Archived