Galapagos - which islands are best?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:45 AM.
Outside Orlando, FL
41 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
I am starting to look into a cruise around the Galapagos Islands, and am already getting confused! Want 7-10 days on board a ship.

So many options!

North & Central
Central & East
South & East
Just Central
South & Central
Just South
West & Central
North, Central & South
and even more!!

What is the best option to chose (or does it really matter)? This is to celebrate my 50th birthday, and I figure this will be a trip of a lifetime.

Can anyone give me any opinions/thoughts? I'd really appreciate it. TIA!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Monica
Florida
3,970 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
The cruise lines are assigned certain itineraries by the National Park. If you choose Celebrity Xpedition, you have a choice of the 'inner' and the 'outer 'route. I assume that the Silver Explorer gives a similar choice. The itineraries avoid placing several chips in one spot. We saw just a few smaller yachts in some areas, most of the time we were alone.
Florida
3,970 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Correction: The Silversea ship is called Silver Galapagos. I hope I got that right.

We were on a 7 day cruise on the Celebrity Xpedition and had booked their 10 day package which included a land portion in Quito including pick-up at the airport and return to the airport.

We then proceeded to the Amazon jungle in Ecuador. Just a 30 minute flight, then 2 1/2 hours in a motorized canoe, then 2 hours in a paddled canoe. Our lodge is called the Napo Wildlife Center. A laid-back place with hot water in a superb location! We saw wildlife that friends of ours did not see at a different lodge in the same jungle at the same time. I absolutely recommend it. The lodge arranged the flight and all transportation including our large suitcase.
25 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I just came back from the Western Islands and Genovesa. Go west!

I went without a big boat (one of the 16 person not Celebrity boats). It was amazing...
2,935 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Cynm
Did u get to the Galapagos? Any advice for those of us who have yet to visit?
Every island is very different. You'll see different flora and fauna. Even the sand is different one each island. It is hard to say which is the best.

I have some info and pictures in my personal travel blog. Just click on the Galapagos link in the Index.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My travel blogs --
personal travel blog - Travel Snippets and More
general travel info blog - Travel Ideas. Travel Hints. Travel Warnings.