Stavanger or Bergen

PC168

There are two of us in mid 40s and our two teens 17 & 15. We are very active people as we did DIY in our E. & W. Med two years ago. Thanks to all the wonderfull cruisecriticers!

We are looking into the baltic b2b next year August 2013 and am looking into MSC (kids pay $159). There are two itin. but only one port is different, just wondering which one is better and which one has better time in port.

MSC Poesia goes to:

Sun, Aug 4 Copenhagen 6:00 Pm

Mon, Aug 5 At Sea

Tue, Aug 6 Hellesylt 8:00 A - 5:30 Pm

Wed, Aug 7 Flaam 9:00 A - 5:30 Pm

Thu, Aug 8 Stavanger 9:00 - 3:00 Pm

Fri, Aug 9 Oslo 8:00 A - 1:00 Pm

Sat, Aug 10 Kiel 10:00 A - 6:00 Pm

Sun, Aug 11 Copenhagen 8:00 A

MSC Musica:

Sat, Aug 10 Copenhagen 6:00 Pm

Sun, Aug 11 Kiel 8:00 A - 4:00 Pm

Mon, Aug 12 At Sea

Tue, Aug 13 Hellesylt 9:00 A - 5:30 Pm

Wed, Aug 14 Flaam 9:00 A - 6:00 Pm

Thu, Aug 15 Bergen 7:00 A - 1:00 Pm

Fri, Aug 16 Oslo 1:00 Pm - 6:00 Pm

Sat, Aug 17 Copenhagen 10:30 Am

The second cruise will be to the east in which including one day in St. Petersburg, both ships have the same itin. The one in Kiel we are looking to take the train into Lubeck or Hamburg.

Your advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd say Bergen.

for me it was really nice to walk around the city and take the funicular up Fløyen. and there is the popular fish market which really deserves its popularity.

but if u want to hike to Pulpit Rock then go for Stavanger.

btw i got to say that since your ship both porting at the lovely Hellysylt and Flam, nothing could go wrong on that trip :) u would love it either way. ;)

Not much between the two - both are lovely. I would go for the most economical cruise as they both stops offer excellent possibilties. Bergen has the funincular to the top of Mount Floyen or even a cable car to the top of Mount Ulriken. There is the fish market and some incredible wooden shops (would kids be bothered about the latter?) Your time schedule doesn't give you much time here bearing in mind that you will have to be back half an hour at least before the ship sails.

Stavangar has a fantastic hands on interactive petroleum museum which may sound boring but is really a highlight where there is a 3D cinema presentation and a mock up oil rig to explore and escape chute to come down. Lots of teens there last week. There is the old town just by the ship with a sardine canning museum to visit and you can even pack your own tins of sardines which caused a great deal of hilarity when we were there. A tiny free museum where you can enter and feel a bit like Alice through the Looking Glass as everything is so compact and also a beautiful lake to walk around. A visit to the railway station has a great model of a Locomotive to see on display. There is also a HOHO bus to take.

Be aware that both places get A LOT of rain (but also can have glorious weather) so go prepared. They are great. We came back last week!

There are two of us in mid 40s and our two teens 17 & 15. We are very active people as we did DIY in our E. & W. Med two years ago. Thanks to all the wonderfull cruisecriticers! We are looking into the baltic b2b next year August 2013 and am looking into MSC (kids pay $159). There are two itin. but only one port is different, just wondering which one is better and which one has better time in port. Your advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have not been to Stavanger, but we super loved charming and historic Bergen. Below is more on this great city, plus some of my visuals to back up the WHY on its great offerings, etc. We visited Copenhagen, Hellesylt and Flam, etc. From my live/blog you can see more details on these various places, plus added Norway and fjord details, options, etc.

BUT, if you don't mind, I would like to raise serious questions on whether MSC will be your best "fit" for a cruise line. Its customer base is very German and as we listened while in a couple ports with their ships, they seemed to have a rather loud and young, party-hardy crowd. Have you sailed with them and/or considered how their "style" and audience fits with your personal interests? Second, it's really bad, bad to be visiting Bergen, but only giving you from 7 am to 1 pm there. That only gives you a few hours in the mornings there. OK, but rather limited. Their port time in Oslo (that we visited in 2008 on a Baltics cruise) is also extremely narrow and not offering much time to see and experience this great city. Maybe MSC is cheap, cheap, BUT, watch out, maybe you will only get your money's worth or less. Reactions? Have you talked with friends and/or others who have sailed with them?

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 80,768 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor, plus nearby scenic areas, etc.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

This view from the Bergen hilltop shows the central downtown shopping area (Torgalmenningen, the major square) and many various building rooftops. The red brick church at the top is Johanneskirken (St. John's church), built of red brick in a neo-gothic style in 1894. The church tower at the left is Korskirken, dating back to the latter half of the 12th century and whose name means “True Cross”. Lots of interesting and historic architecture in Bergen.:

BergenChurchTowers.jpg

Thank you so much for all your input. Yes. We have sailed MSC before and knowing their styles (very Italian and their rating is lower) and we do not mind. People are telling us if travel to Europe, go with the itin. and not the ship. You will not get hungary on cruise ship. Their prices is cheaper when compare to other lines as we are on a budget, we have discussed among ourselves as if for example, we can go with NCL for the 9 days or go with MSC 7 days B2B they both are the same price. We have not booked with anyone yet. Still researching. Thank you so much Terry.

Either Stavagen or Bergen, we have never been to northern europe except it was 10 years ago my company sent me to Copenhagen for an emergency business trip and is was only last for less than 24 hours, I could not even buy duty free because it was not enough 48 hours, that was intense trip. It is always a good time to go on your own vacations.

Just throwing this question out and see if anyone has any opinion, if you have a choice would you go with NCL 9 days to Northern Europe or MSC 2 7 days cruises in a total of 14 days if both of them are the same price? I am talking about a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens and we are on a budget. Chances the kids won't go with us again and this may be my DS 17 last long trip with us before he goes to university.

Your comment is valuable to me. Thanks so much.

Carrie

Thank you so much for all your input. Yes. We have sailed MSC before and knowing their styles (very Italian and their rating is lower) and we do not mind. People are telling us if travel to Europe, go with the itin. and not the ship. You will not get hungary on cruise ship. Their prices is cheaper when compare to other lines as we are on a budget, we have discussed among ourselves as if for example, we can go with NCL for the 9 days or go with MSC 7 days B2B they both are the same price. We have not booked with anyone yet. Still researching. Thank you so much Terry.

Either Stavagen or Bergen, we have never been to northern europe except it was 10 years ago my company sent me to Copenhagen for an emergency business trip and is was only last for less than 24 hours, I could not even buy duty free because it was not enough 48 hours, that was intense trip. It is always a good time to go on your own vacations.

Just throwing this question out and see if anyone has any opinion, if you have a choice would you go with NCL 9 days to Northern Europe or MSC 2 7 days cruises in a total of 14 days if both of them are the same price? I am talking about a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens and we are on a budget. Chances the kids won't go with us again and this may be my DS 17 last long trip with us before he goes to university.

Your comment is valuable to me. Thanks so much.

Carrie

Hi Carrie: We have 2 teens (18 and 15), and, if I were in your shoes, the choice would be very easy. I'd go on the 14 day trip. Assuming that you're talking about the 9 day NCL Baltic trip, I think you'll see much, much more with the B2B MSC itinerary. We've been to the Baltics and loved it, but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do both the Baltics and Norwegian Fjords on the same trip. We have sailed on NCL but not MSC, although my sister and family (with 2 teens, also) sailed MSC to the Baltics and loved it! NCL was fine, but not worth limiting your trip. My sister and family really enjoyed the entertainment on MSC, and I doubt that NCL is worth losing out on the Fjord itinerary. If you have any questions about the Baltic area with teens, I will try to answer.

Just throwing this question out and see if anyone has any opinion, if you have a choice would you go with NCL 9 days to Northern Europe or MSC 2 7 days cruises in a total of 14 days if both of them are the same price? I am talking about a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teens and we are on a budget. Chances the kids won't go with us again and this may be my DS 17 last long trip with us before he goes to university. Carrie

Yes, Carrie, agree with Morgans that we need to know more of the specifics on which cruise ports would be involved between these two options. Tell us more. Then, we can better suggestions.

Glad you've had previous MSC experience and know what to expect in their offerings, audience, style, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 80,956 views.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 101,946 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you so much for everyone's input, here are the itin. with the same cabin type:

MSC Poesia 7 days roundtrip Copenhagen:

Sun Aug 4 Copenhagen, Denmark 6:00pm

Mon Aug 5 At Sea

Tue Aug 6 Hellesylt, Norway 8:00am - 5:30pm

Wed Aug 7 Flam, Norway 9:00am - 5:30pm

Thu Aug 8 Stavanger, Norway 9:00am - 3:00pm

Fri Aug 9 Oslo, Norway 8:00am - 1:00pm

Sat Aug 10 Kiel, Germany 10:00am - 6:00pm

Sun Aug 11 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:00am

Continue the next 7 days roundtrip Copenhagen:

Sun Aug 11 Copenhagen, Denmark 6:00pm

Mon Aug 12 At Sea

Tue Aug 13 Stockholm, Sweden 8:30am - 4:30pm

Wed Aug 14 Tallinn, Estonia 9:00am - 4:00pm

Thu Aug 15 St. Petersburg, Russia 7:00am - 7:00pm

Fri Aug 16 At Sea

Sat Aug 17 Kiel, Germany 10:00am - 6:00pm

Sun Aug 18 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:00am

Norweigen Star 9 days roundtrip Copenhagen: (same price as the 14 days MSC above)

Mon Aug 5 Copenhagen, Denmark 5:00pm

Tue Aug 6 Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany 7:30am - 10:00pm

Wed Aug 7 At Sea

Thu Aug 8 Tallinn, Estonia 9:00am - 5:30pm

Fri Aug 9 St. Petersburg, Russia 8:00am (2 days in St. Pete)

Sat Aug 10 St. Petersburg, Russia 7:00pm

Sun Aug 11 Helsinki, Finland 7:00am - 5:00pm

Mon Aug 12 Stockholm, Sweden 8:00am - 4:00pm

Tue Aug 13 At Sea

Wed Aug 14 Copenhagen, Denmark 7:00am

Carnival Legend 12 days roundtrip Dover: ($500 more than NCL Stars & MSC 14 days Poesia)

Thu Aug 8 London (Dover), England 5:00pm

Fri Aug 9 At Sea

Sat Aug 10 Copenhagen, Denmark 8:00am - 4:00pm

Sun Aug 11 Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany 6:30am - 11:00pm

Mon Aug 12 At Sea

Tue Aug 13 Helsinki, Finland 8:00am - 6:00pm

Wed Aug 14 St. Petersburg, Russia 8:00am (2 days in St. Pete)

Thu Aug 15 St. Petersburg, Russia 7:00pm

Fri Aug 16 Tallinn, Estonia 7:00am - 4:00pm

Sat Aug 17 At Sea

Sun Aug 18 At Sea

Mon Aug 19 Amsterdam, Holland 10:00am - 6:00pm

Tue Aug 20 London (Dover), England 5:00am

Note: The MSC do not goto Helsinki and the Carnival does not goto Stockholm.

For the NCL stars & Carnival Legend, they don't goto Norway. As a matter of fact, we are not too crazy about the at sea days, do not believe we can swim in the pools much in northern europe. If we want to enjoy the nicer weather, we would go to the caribbean, that is what we did this year.

Thank you very much for all your valuable input.

Terry, I always love your fantastic pictures!

Carrie

Thank you so much for everyone's input, here are the itin. with the same cabin type.

Terry, I always love your fantastic pictures! Carrie

WOW!! Appreciate, Carrie, both your nice comments on my pictures and the added background for these three different cruise options. It's like comparing apples, pears and grapefruit. These are very different directions and options. So much depends on what you and your family really likes and wants.

MSC Poesia 7 days is mostly the fjords, southern Norway. Great, more scenery, nature, etc. Then, with the next 7 days roundtrip Copenhagen you get the Baltics, but only one short day in St. Petersburg. Major downside in that way. This one gives you lots of Copenhagen that is wonderful.

Norweigen Star 9 days roundtrip Copenhagen give you two days in St. Petersburg, but cheats you out of the fjords and southern Norway scenery, nature.

Carnival Legend 12 days roundtrip Dover gives you two days in St. Petersburg and more depth of Baltics options, but no fjords and southern Norway scenery, nature.

Where are your priorities on . . . .

1. Norway coast versus not?

2. One versus two days in St. Petersburg?

Tell us more!! You're making progress and getting closer. None of these are bad or losers.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 101,946 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 80,956 views.

Well. If we have a whole month of vacation time I would go for them all! Chuckle.. but time and $ are the constraint, don't forget we would have to add on the air & tickets/excursions etc. As I said earlier, we have never been to NE. Kids love to see castles, cathedrals, little museums and different architectures. Overall, Europe is so much different if compare to north america, everything is different. Kids don't mind to take local bus or subways if we do it our own. Last time, we did everything our own when we were in the E. & W. med. including Rome, Venice, Athens & Santorini. Trip was fantastic and we loved every moment of it.

For the St. Pete, love to stay there 2 days but it depends on other ports as well. This time we take the kids to see as much as possible and if they like certain places, they can do it themselves when they are older,(get a job first or a good job first), my job is done.

Thank you.

Carrie

BTW, Icelandair has a very reasonable price from Toronto to Copenhagen. Around $1000 each return ticket for August. Everyone else cost $1400 or more.

we have never been to NE. Kids love to see castles, cathedrals, little museums and different architectures. Overall, Europe is so much different if compare to north america, everything is different. Kids don't mind to take local bus or subways if we do it our own. Last time, we did everything our own when we were in the E. & W. med. including Rome, Venice, Athens & Santorini. Trip was fantastic and we loved every moment of it. For the St. Pete, love to stay there 2 days but it depends on other ports as well. This time we take the kids to see as much as possible and if they like certain places, they can do it themselves when they are older,(get a job first or a good job first), my job is done. Carrie

Hi, again, Carrie! From what you have indicated about your kids and the interests, my suggestion would be to go with the 12-day Carnival options. You could, ALSO, see a few very neat castles and unique structures in southern England as you take a day or two there to adjust from the long flights and see so many wonderful options for castles and unqiue architecture there. Below are only three of my many visual samples from there in the UK. We had five super days in the Kent area before starting our cruise from Dover.

Then, those five ports stops, plus the two days in St. Petersburg, would offer such a spectacular range of options in line with your many interests. Below are a few more examples. I like that "old stuff", interesting architecture and history, etc. Lots there in these different port stops to make people happy and stimulated. If you need more "samples" or visual evidence, let me know. I've only shared a small portion for what is possible in these various ports and places.

Added reactions and questions?

Southern England’s Bodiam Castle before departing from Dover on our 2008 Baltics cruise.:

1A-Eng-CastleMoatWater.jpg

Knole at Sevenoaks Palace & Gardens:

1A-Eng-7OaksGardens.jpg

At the Great Dixter House & Garden in the southern Kent area, looking out the leaded-glass window.:

1A-Eng-LeadedWindow.jpg

Here an inside views of Tallinn’s Alexander Nevsky Cathedral built in the Orthodox style 1894–1900. This church crowns the hill of Toompea. The church has been meticulously restored since Estonia regained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.:

TallinnOrChurInterior.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

Uspenski Cathedral, Helsinki’s traditional Orthodox Church is placed on a solid stone base overlooking the main market:

1A-Helsinki-ChurchRock.jpg

Hello Carrie,

Taking cost & flights into account and getting more for your money, (Miss Thrifty coming out in me) I would go for the MSC back to back as it would be longer and you would see the magnificent fjords which you wouldn't with the others. MSC offers a chance for the kids to meet other European teens which would be an extra as they have a good mix of lots of nationalities especially Italians. Going from Copenhagen, chances are that there'll be Danish teens too as well as some Brits. You are in effect getting two completely different cruises in one!

I agree with Terry that if the kids really, really want castles etc then the Dover one might be a good option but there are castles also in the Baltic. It's certainly a tough choice but a good one of course and only you can decide. One thing is certain, whichever you choose you will still have a great time!

Agree that Terry's photos are fantastic. You always do a great job Terry.

Let us know what you decide & good luck

Marge

Carrie: We sailed the exact same Carnival itinerary with our teens (Carnival Splendor, 2008), and it's a great one. It's actually our favorite cruise of all time. Nevertheless, I still think the 2 MSC cruises offer more diversity and value. The Carnival trip would be my 2nd choice. It's clearly worth more than $500 more than the NCL itinerary. I wouldn't be too concerned about only 1 day in St. Petersburg on MSC. You'll still be able to see the highlights (Hermitage and Peterhof).

I agree with Terry that if the kids really, really want castles etc then the Dover one might be a good option but there are castles also in the Baltic. It's certainly a tough choice but a good one of course and only you can decide. One thing is certain, whichever you choose you will still have a great time! Agree that Terry's photos are fantastic. You always do a great job Terry. Let us know what you decide & good luck. Marge

Appreciate Marge's kind comments. Agree that things will work out well regardless of which specific option you pick. Lots of great potentials to consider. As I noted earlier, none are bad or wrong. Many pluses to consider.

Wow. Pictures worth thousands words! Thank you Terry. Thank you all your input. Very appreciated.

Appreciate, Carrie, your super nice comments. YES, visuals can be worth a thousand words. Get some of the travel books such as Eyewitness and Insights to review with your kids to help in the planning.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,065 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,074 views.

Archived