Pier 91, Seattle for mobility issues

DRS/NC

My adult "kids" & I are leaving from Pier 91 on May 20 on the Ruby. I've never departed from Seattle before.

I have mobility issues -- can't walk/stand too far or too long. How is Pier 91 to navigate?

I've encountered terminals in other ports that have very long, often zig-zag ramps.

Trying to decide if I need to ask Princess for boarding assistance.

Yes, I've also posted this on the West Coast Ports site.

Thanks!

This is one thing you don't ask for in advance. You ask for it when you arrive at the pier.

You can decide when you arrive at the pier whether or not you need it. DW has walking difficulties but some days are better than others. Some times she will ask for boarding assistance and other times not - depending on how her knees are doing that day and on how long the walk is.

Sorry this is so long. The short version is that it's comparable in walking to San Pedro or San Francisco, much, much, much better than Vancouver.

My DH has severe bilateral knee arthritis and a weird neck thing - enough so that he walks with a trekking pole and uses assitive devices in accessible cabins, and we've sailed Princess from Seattle about a dozen times since the move to Pier 91.

Walking from the passenger drop point to the entry hall can be as little as 50 feet for those arriving by private car, Uber or taxi. There are signed accessible zones for drop-off.

Inside the terminal the health forms are filled out at standing-height tables; there may be a low table available. If there is a massive backup for x-ray/magnetometer screening, passengers can be held downstairs in a three- or four-turn snake line of about 100 total feet, but that's rare. There's an escalator to the main floor as well as an elevator just off to the side. Ask one of the clipboard dragons if it's somehow blocked off.

At the top of the stairs the security screening queues are usually broken into short snake lines (maybe ten guests each?). Once you complete screening, the first check-in desk you come to is the accessibility station with a 12' no-snake queue, then Elite, which might have a loop or two of snake depending on the day and time, then the general check-in queue which has five or six turns of about 60 feet each.

Once you are checked in, Elite and those needing assistance exit the building about 50 feet behind them as they face the desk. There is a limited amount of seating. Once boarding has started around noon, it's usually not an issue to find a seat while the rest of your party finishes check-in.

If you're not using a mobility device or cane, general boarding queues at the other end of the terminal. It often wraps around the end of the building. There is some seating. I would guess the total walk from check in could vary between 250 and 750 feet depending on how many turns of the snake queues are in use. After about 1:30, these passengers generally can walk right onboard from approximately 100 feet from the check-in desks.

Once you are outside the check-in level, there's a brief queue for SeaPass photos and then the gangway to the ship. I believe there are four levels of ramp with large landings, approximately 100 feet each. There is not an elevator but wheelchair assistance is available. The slope depends on tide conditions but is usually not particularly steep.

Hope this helps you; enjoy your visit to Seattle and your cruise!