Best Carnival Spa Treatment?

CHRISnAMY

I've been on several Carnival cruises, but never booked any spa services. Can anyone recommend a good treatment? Are the prices comparable to non-cruise spas? I'm on the Conquest on 6/19. If anyone has recommendations, I'd appreciate the feedback. Also, if you've had a negative experience or a bad treatment, please share that, too, so I can avoid it!

Thanks!

The seaweed wrap is one of the more expensive treatments they offer, and it's a little surreal to be covered in green mud-mask stuff and wrapped in foil...but it really is out of this world. They were selling this one pretty hard on the Conquest last fall, either because it's really beneficial or because it costs more, but I remember them offering it at a fair discount as the week rolls on. One of my friends' wives tried it on the Pride, and we thought she had been drugged when she joined us for lunch afterward--kinda mellow, not quite all there. She inspired two of the guys in the group to go and make appointments immediately (including yours truly). If that's a little too strange for you, the hot-stones massage was also good. Another friend said that the basic Swedish massage was good but not great. I've never had any treatments at home, but I've heard that the ones on shipboard tend to be a little more expensive. Hope this helps!

BTW, I loved it sooooo much that I found a spa close to home that does the same treatment, but it's just not the same without the waves crashing on the side of the ship while you are having it done!!!!

Don't get the Spa Pedicure :(

I am a licensed Manicurist and thought how cool it would be to receive rather than give a pedicure. For $40 you receive a 5 minute soak followed by a 5 minute sea salt rub, rinse and nails polished. Here in Mass I will give you a six step pedicure with a calf/foot massage that will leave you rubber legged for $40.

Yes I did complain and never heard anything.

Don't get the Spa Pedicure :(

I am a licensed Manicurist and thought how cool it would be to receive rather than give a pedicure. For $40 you receive a 5 minute soak followed by a 5 minute sea salt rub, rinse and nails polished. Here in Mass I will give you a six step pedicure with a calf/foot massage that will leave you rubber legged for $40.

Yes I did complain and never heard anything.

Oh Lordy! It's eight thirty at night over here, I'm still at work (having just a little break), and I nearly keeled over when I read that. "Rubber legged" indeed!! Thanks, wwakla!;)

Hmmmmm, I am not really impressed with their services. I did enjoy the heated stone massage though. I once had a facial and it just seemed to involve one cream being put on my face, then taken off, then another, then another.... you get the picture. The pedicure was awful - I could have done a French polish better myself and the standard is really not up to American land based salons - they are the best ever. There is also the sales pitch right after the massage which really annoys me. Here I am feeling nice and relaxed after a hot stone massage and just want to go back to my room and relax and then I get a long and involved sales pitch which I feel is right out of order. Prices are higher than land based spas but they do have port day specials sometimes or other special offers. The company that runs the spa is Steiner and they use Elmis products.

I have been on 4 cruises and have gotten the facial and back massage twice. Now I have to say, it was HEAVENLY! The first time I got this service, it was scheduled for 10:00 a.m. and I hadn't been up but 2 1/2 hours, but the young lady was sooo good that I feel asleep! I didn't realize I was sleep until I felt her shaking me slightly and saying "okay, you can wake up now". I was so embarrased, and you can be assured I tipped her nicely. The second massage, same treatment, different ship, different time, same effect, but this time I had her do my back last so I could really enjoy the snooze! If you can try scheduling it on port days when it is cheaper!

Ecstasy 8/2000

Imagination 07/2001

land Vacation 07/2002 :0(

Sensation 07/2003

Carnival Triumph 07/2004

Carnival Glory 07/2005

If I remember correctly, don't the prices in the spa start going down or some type of discount offered later during the week. That seems to stand out in my memory for some reason.

You're right, CreoleGirl ~ they do.

My friend got her hair cut, highlighted and styled at the salon. Nothing special. The cut was basically a trim. The highlights were hardly visible. And she paid a mint.

I only get my hair done on the first formal night. And even then, sometimes attention is quite lacking. (Stick you under a hairblower with curlers in your hair, spritz and send you on your way). My hair curls quite easily, which could have been nice if it was in loose ringlets, but it was an updo.

More than anything, I resent how they try to push their products. It ruins my experience.

PS: Don't be fooled by their wonderful Aussie accents ~ The products aren't worth as much as they're selling them for.

I had a facial once on a Carnival cruise but they pushed me to buy products and that turned me completely off and I haven't been back to the spa. They ruined a pleasant experience with their hard sell. One of my friends bought $600.00 worth of products.

I always have the seaweed wrap and it is awesome. It is a detox and a massage. And the oxygen facial is really good - only one that really doesn't break out my face after. Haven't had a bad one yet. I had the frangipani scalp massage and it was really good too. There is usually 30% off all treatments the first night (so book the most expensive one you want for that night - they will work around your dinner seating time really well) and then they are really reasonable in port days. The capsule in the gym is really great too - but it is overpriced and I didn't see any specials on it the last two cruises. If you tell the spa person doing your treatment that you won't be wanting any products, they will not give you the product spiel at the end. It was easy for me - I already use La Therapie and didn't need anything!

I haven't had the hot stone massage on board, but got one for my niece and her friend and they loved it.

More than anything, I resent how they try to push their products. It ruins my experience.

It's never ruined the experience for me, but it's certainly an unsettling jolt back to reality. Here's a sneaky little ploy that seems to work well, although maybe it was just luck. If you have your treatment(s) early in the cruise and they start putting the screws to you to buy something, just pleasantly tell them that you'll think about it, and maybe you'll be back later. After all, you've got the entire cruise to think about it and return to make a purchase...of course, you won't... :D Or defer the issue by asking if you can order something online when you get back home. (When in doubt, a simple and polite but firm "no, thanks" with a smile could also work. As a marketing guy myself, I hate the hard-sell and I can usually smell the traps...but I'm also a terrible liar! :rolleyes: )

From Steiner's Recruitment Site:

What is my earning potential? All staff receive a weekly retainer, however most of your earnings will come from commission. On most ships, tips are received at discretion of the passenger, although on some ships a 10-15% gratuity is added to the cost of the service. The type of ship you work on dictates your earning potential. If you are on a world cruise that stops in an exotic port everyday, your earning potential is minimized. If you are doing regular cruising where you have three or four sea days per cruise, your potential is maximized. Therefore, most staff work on board ships doing regular cruising or transatlantic crossings before requesting a world cruise. Food and living accommodation is paid for by Steiner, therefore all money earned can be saved. All wages are paid in U.S. dollars. There may be tax relief on your earnings. You can check with your accountant regarding overseas earnings.

Carnival Spa are cool but make sure when you first go on board they have the Spa Tour specials, just go for the short tour and at the end they offer you a better deal for just being there. Once you book it, ensure when you arrive that you are paying for what you requested and nothing more, Dont assume anything, always ask!! so you dont have to wait till u get your bill and see the shocking price adjustment, also while being pampered they will again offer or push other services and try to sell you products you dont need, these are very pricey, seems like the prices go up every trip we take.

Another thing, they also have While in Port specials, massages drop in price big time, or go and check out cozumel Sally, she is on this CC Board and many people have gone to see her for her massage deal, they say she is the best.

One last thing, The Spa at Carnival is not run by Carnival but an agency out of London, and I have felt mostly with all of their Spa personel, these people that run them think that their shi.t dont stink etc... That the only Negative I have with them when It comes to filling out those Comment cards, I love Carnival but I wont use their Spa Services due to they are very pushy when it comes to selling those products and their attitude stinks.

Go here for the thread on Sally Massage in Cozumel:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=163216

Wow--thanks for all the tips & particularly for the heads up about the sales pitch at the end. Would have been horrible to be "surprised" by it, as that is when I am most vulnerable & usually wind up just handing over the plastic and charging it up! Think I will definitely try the hot stone massage & maybe the seaweed wrap as well. Will certainly remember to bring my will power with me & book on port days if at all possible. Many thanks, again!:)

Can anyone describe the Hot Stone Massage? I was thinking about having that done. I usually get a full body massage and love that. Also, what is the cost for the sweedish and hot stone? Is it better to book spa services right away or should I wait for discounts? I remember discounts on the days we are in port when most people are out and about but I don't remember discounts being available on the evenings.

• 12 years later...

I am also interested in the hot stone massage. I have been told there were additional discounts onboard, however, port day is not an option, because we have already booked excursions during that time. I would love some feedback on the costs of the spa before embarkation day vs. waiting & booking onboard. Many thanks for any insight on this topic.

I own a medical spa and am a licensed acupuncturist for 11 years. The prices on the cruise ship are almost double land based prices for some services, and for a shorter amount of time (an hour long treatment on tbhe ship is only 50 minutes). Don't buy the products. They are marked up nearly 500%. Had a patient who was sold two bottles of Chinese herbs on a cruise for $90 a bottle. He was told it was a proprietary formula only available on the cruise. It was actually a common traditional formula with their proprietary cruise label on the bottle. I could get him the exact same formula from a high quality herbal company for $5 a bottle retail price!

Not overpriced, resort priced. You are on a ship people not running to your local message envy. LOL

Elemis is a huge European brand so product costs are in line to comparable products.

Personally love seaweed wraps, body scrubs and Oxygen facials. Tell them upfront love products I use so thanks no sales pitch.

I have had all of the massages and some of the facials. The prices are resort prices and include tips. It does matter which ship you are on - I had the seaweed massage and the fire and ice pedicure on the Pride and while they were really good, they were exceptional on the Sunshine. The seaweed massage was enhanced by having a hot waterbed as part of the wrap process and the pedicure had better footbed setup.

I love the Elemis products and I have enjoyed everything I have purchased but I can find them in more places now so I don't buy them.