Another Matrix question

TeanneTX

I'm looking at flights for Oct 31 from Sydney to Austin TX for business class if I can get them. I find pretty fair prices using the Matrix ITA site but when I go the the airline site I can't find those same prices. How do I get those same prices that the Matrix finds?

Teanne

I'm looking at flights for Oct 31 from Sydney to Austin TX for business class if I can get them. I find pretty fair prices using the Matrix ITA site but when I go the the airline site I can't find those same prices. How do I get those same prices that the Matrix finds?

Teanne

That's the rub ;-)

You can print out the exact detail/fare info and call. You may have to pay a fee for the call...

How do I get those same prices that the Matrix finds?
The answer to this question depends on the reason why you're not seeing the same prices that ITA is showing you.

But we can't even guess at that reason without knowing what you're looking at. "Oct 31 from Sydney to Austin TX for business class" is pretty vague, and doesn't really allow anyone to try to find out what your problem is, let alone debug it.

I've also heard of people running the same search on Google Flights and being able to book via the link provided.

Google bought ITA, so Google Flights is actually using Matrix with a "Google-ized" GUI front end...Lots of other sites use Matrix as it's software base, but tweak it to their needs (excluding some flights, limiting some search parameters...). To me, by using Matrix directly, I may be getting more unfiltered results than elsewhere.

We had exactly the same issue for our flight to Bangkok last winter.

Matrix came up with a great routing, fare codes, and a reasonable price.

We called the airline and tried to book. Same dates, fare code etc. The airline agent could see the routing (AC and ANA), the fare codes but their fare came up at $1500. instead of the Matrix fare of $1050 CAD.

We tried a few other sites until finally the routing, fare code, and price that Matix displayed came up on Orbitz. Two other sites did not display the routing/flights that we wanted . We booked with Orbitz. We were able to select our seats.

Edited by iancal

We had exactly the same issue for our flight to Bangkok last winter.

Matrix came up with a great routing, fare codes, and a reasonable price.

We called the airline and tried to book. Same dates, fare code etc. The airline agent could see the routing (AC and ANA), the fare codes but their fare came up at $1500. instead of the Matrix fare of $1050 CAD.

We tried a few other sites until finally the routing, fare code, and price that Matix displayed came up on Orbitz. Two other sites did not display the routing/flights that we wanted . We booked with Orbitz. We were able to select our seats.

Thanks for the info. I kind of did the same thing and found similar fares with Travelocity. Will need to check Orbitz too. It becomes mind boggling when trying to get a decent deal.

Teanne

We used Google air a few weeks ago to get a flight from BA to Iguazu. BA listed an Aeorolineas flight that was $100. less than all the others.

It turned out that this flight could only be booked in Argentina. So, we called the 1800 number for this airline. The CSR told us we could get this fare if we called their booking center in Buenos Aires. English no problem. She gave us the phone numbers and hours. We called and they were very helpful. We were able to get discounted tickets for $100. less per ticket than any of the north american sites. We had a similar experience for internal flights in Turkey several years ago but we able to book on the Turkish web site.

It pays to shop around and ask questions.