Help with suite choices

ausrobbo

Dear HAL community

I need some help with suite choices. We are looking at sailing either 14 April or 25 April (both 22 day cruises) on the Zuiderdam. The choice we have is either Signature or Neptune suits. Can someone please explain what the difference is (apart from larger rooms) and what additional benefits we get for roughly $3000 per person?

Also I have noticed that since the latest "special" was announced the price of the Neptune suit on the 25/4 cruise has gone up just under $300:mad: It appears there is no drinks package included (which I would be interested in as my wife does not drink which makes the offered drink package not worth while).

The ports on both are good. Which would you go with and why? What is the best way to get a good discount on HAL - using one of their TA's or using my own local one? I have not traveled HAL but have sailed on Princess and NCL (before the change of policy that should not be spoken!)

My other option is to sail with Seabourn ex Sydney (which will save $13,000 in airfairs) Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Merci

With a Signature suite you get 50% more space than a standard balcony and a "telephone concierge service". With the Neptune you get double the space of a standard balcony plus:

• A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and Wi-Fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.
  • Teak-lined private verandah
  • Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Complimentary sparkling wine served in the Neptune Lounge upon embarkation
  • Complimentary bottled water provided in suite at embarkation
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Cold hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship's officers
  • Priority boarding for tendered ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows
  • Premium duvet; oversized bath towels; and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining
  • Personalized cruise stationery
  • One-touch telephone concierge service
  • Fresh flowers

Edited by jtl513

If you want to take a look, tou will find pics of various cabins and comments at HALfacts.com. A website contributed to by cruise critic members. There is also a general tab there with all kinds of info - menus, on location, etc. the link is in my signature.

One strategy that some use is to book the signature suite and hope for an upsell to a Neptune. This only works if you are going to be totally happy in the signature as there is no guarantee that you will receive an upsell or that the Neptunes aren't sold out.

Dear HAL community

I need some help with suite choices. We are looking at sailing either 14 April or 25 April (both 22 day cruises) on the Zuiderdam. The choice we have is either Signature or Neptune suits. Can someone please explain what the difference is (apart from larger rooms) and what additional benefits we get for roughly $3000 per person?

Also I have noticed that since the latest "special" was announced the price of the Neptune suit on the 25/4 cruise has gone up just under $300:mad: It appears there is no drinks package included (which I would be interested in as my wife does not drink which makes the offered drink package not worth while).

The ports on both are good. Which would you go with and why? What is the best way to get a good discount on HAL - using one of their TA's or using my own local one? I have not traveled HAL but have sailed on Princess and NCL (before the change of policy that should not be spoken!)

My other option is to sail with Seabourn ex Sydney (which will save $13,000 in airfairs) Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Merci

If you save $13.000!! on airfares then I would book Seabourn without a doubt. It is a luxury cruise line after all. Also on Seabourn all drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are included!

Edited by Cashew14

Dear HAL community

To answer a few of your other questions. Pricing: there are some on-line TA's that can get you a discount from HAL's pricing, but most TAs are the same as HAL. The difference is that the largest TAs prebook a number of cabins and get the group rate, which they then pass part of to you. I book through HAL directly (through a PCC (personal cruise consultant). They are normally pretty good about getting you credits (at least partial) for price drops.

The $3000 difference in price is not unusual for a 22 day cruise. Is it worth it? Only you can judge. One thing that you can do is book a Signature Suite and HOPE for an upsell offer to a Neptune suite (I would think it would be $500 to $1000). If you get an upsell offer from HAL, you need to move quickly as they are on a first come first serve served basis.

One more thing - you need to study the deck plans and cabin locations carefully and do some research on this board. For example, the SY cabins are less expensive than the SS ones (cabins are the same) due to location. Personally I like the SYs on deck 8 better than the SS ones on any deck. BUT, I want an SY that is below the carpeted area of the Lido Buffet, not the ones below the pool. I also like being close to the mid-ship elevator.