Anchorage to Whittier Transfer

hornhiyo

We fly-in Friday night to Anchorage and cruise from Whittier 8:30pm Saturday. Bus is fine. We don't need a tour, just transport. We'd rather get there sooner than later. Recommendations on transfer companies?

We just booked, on our own, for the train, which departs at about 9:45 and arrives at Whittier shortly after noon.

I am not aware of any busses that will get there earlier. But, there might be. If you are interested in taking one of the glacier tours before boarding the ship, you could contact them and they might be able to help.

We're taking a train to San Francisco after the cruise, so the train wasn't that important to us. Assume there are bus options, just not sure where they all pick-up or depart from. Assume all of the bus companies drop-off at cruise terminals, would that be true?

Anchorage to Whittier is more than just 'transfer over to/from the cruise ship terminal'. Also, the Princess ships are the only ones who sail from the dock at Whittier. A unique situation. Any bus, or train, will drop you off right near the ship.

Do some more searches here...

And, google or yahoo 'transfers anchorage'... something like that.

I do know that there are some transfer bus companies who do this.

Princess offers this.

But, like some others, the Princess busses do not run early.

If you do not have any luck finding an early bus this way, one that might go thru the shared train/hwy tunnel before that 9:45a.m. train, again, the two companies that offer boat cruises from Prince William Sound (Phillips, and Major Marine) would know, and might be able to help you.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Options besides the train include: Princess transfer, alaskcoach.com, alaskacruisetransfer.com, akcruiseshuttle.com and Seward Bus lines.

Price each and check their schedules for whichever meets your needs.

I'd go with the latest shuttle possible in order to spend a few hours in Anchorage . Don't rush to board the ship .... you'll be on it all week ! Or go early in order to do a day cruise on Prince William Sound !

Edited by mapleleaves

Anchorage to Whittier is more than just 'transfer over to/from the cruise ship terminal'. Also, the Princess ships are the only ones who sail from the dock at Whittier. A unique situation. Any bus, or train, will drop you off right near the ship.

Do some more searches here...

And, google or yahoo 'transfers anchorage'... something like that.

I do know that there are some transfer bus companies who do this.

Princess offers this.

But, like some others, the Princess busses do not run early.

If you do not have any luck finding an early bus this way, one that might go thru the shared train/hwy tunnel before that 9:45a.m. train, again, the two companies that offer boat cruises from Prince William Sound (Phillips, and Major Marine) would know, and might be able to help you.

Try emailing Tim @Magic Bus. He is very helpful

I know you said the train wasn't important to you but its worth taking a second look at that option. You will be traversing mountains, lakes, and icebergs and go through a massive tunnel to get from Anchorage to Whittier. The scenery is gorgeous! The trains have glass domes and window that open and decks to stand on at the end of the cars so it really is a great way to spend a couple of hours getting your first glimpse of the Alaskan wilderness.

I know you said the train wasn't important to you but its worth taking a second look at that option. You will be traversing mountains, lakes, and icebergs and go through a massive tunnel to get from Anchorage to Whittier. The scenery is gorgeous! The trains have glass domes and window that open and decks to stand on at the end of the cars so it really is a great way to spend a couple of hours getting your first glimpse of the Alaskan wilderness.

As an Alaskan, I second the comments of Mindershire. I, too, hope you will take another look at the train. The Anchorage depot is within east walking distance from many downtown hotels. The Comfort Inn Ship Creek is right next door. The Hilton is right up the hill.

Not only is the scenery fabulous, as Mindershire points out, but you can get up and walk around to take pictures, etc. as you travel. The train lets you off in Whittier at a covered walkway that leads right to the ship. You can check your bags directly through to your cabin from the depot in Anchorage as well. The railroad/cruise line runs a special truck for cruise luggage from Anchorage directly to the ship in Whittier.

Additionally, you will avoid the potential of traffic delays on the Seward Highway which is the only road between Anchorage and Whittier. There are often delays on this highway in summer and any busses would be delayed in traffic if that were to occur.

• 11 months later...
As an Alaskan, I second the comments of Mindershire. I, too, hope you will take another look at the train. The Anchorage depot is within east walking distance from many downtown hotels. The Comfort Inn Ship Creek is right next door. The Hilton is right up the hill.

Not only is the scenery fabulous, as Mindershire points out, but you can get up and walk around to take pictures, etc. as you travel. The train lets you off in Whittier at a covered walkway that leads right to the ship. You can check your bags directly through to your cabin from the depot in Anchorage as well. The railroad/cruise line runs a special truck for cruise luggage from Anchorage directly to the ship in Whittier.

Additionally, you will avoid the potential of traffic delays on the Seward Highway which is the only road between Anchorage and Whittier. There are often delays on this highway in summer and any busses would be delayed in traffic if that were to occur.

I'm responding to an old thread here because it answers a question of mine. But, I have a follow-up question.

Four of us are staying at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek, then boarding the Anchorage to Whittier train for an Island Princess southbound cruise. I was wondering how the luggage transfer works. According to this post, "You can check your bags directly through to your cabin from the depot in Anchorage as well." This sounds very convenient. Is this available to any Princess passengers or does it only apply to people who booked transfers through Princess? I booked my train tickets directly with Alaska RR using the Toursaver 2:1 price.

I'm responding to an old thread here because it answers a question of mine. But, I have a follow-up question.

Four of us are staying at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek, then boarding the Anchorage to Whittier train for an Island Princess southbound cruise. I was wondering how the luggage transfer works. According to this post, "You can check your bags directly through to your cabin from the depot in Anchorage as well." This sounds very convenient. Is this available to any Princess passengers or does it only apply to people who booked transfers through Princess? I booked my train tickets directly with Alaska RR using the Toursaver 2:1 price.

I am also curious... is the Princess train its' own train or is it a special car that is attached with the Alaska Railway train?

• 2 weeks later...
I am also curious... is the Princess train its' own train or is it a special car that is attached with the Alaska Railway train?

I'll be riding the Anchorage-Whittier train on Wednesday. I'll be looking to see if there are private cars attached to this train.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've enjoyed staying at Comfort Inn Ship Creek multiple times. Homey and clean and located along Ship Creek where people fish in the summertime. Paved walking path is a real treat!

Although it's only five to ten minute walk to the train depot, with luggage it's handy to have the hotel shuttle simply drop you off! Anyone with a Princess tag can check their bag inside the big, white tent! Next time you see your bag it will be outside your stateroom door. Could NOT be more convenient!

Even if you don't end up in a dome car, the windows are huge so you can enjoy the breathtaking views. We've taken a motor coach once but will only take the Alaska Railroad now.

Looking forward to riding the train to Whittier for the June 28 Island Princess departure. Enjoy your cruise,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've enjoyed staying at Comfort Inn Ship Creek multiple times. Homey and clean and located along Ship Creek where people fish in the summertime. Paved walking path is a real treat!

Although it's only five to ten minute walk to the train depot, with luggage it's handy to have the hotel shuttle simply drop you off! Anyone with a Princess tag can check their bag inside the big, white tent! Next time you see your bag it will be outside your stateroom door. Could NOT be more convenient!

Even if you don't end up in a dome car, the windows are huge so you can enjoy the breathtaking views. We've taken a motor coach once but will only take the Alaska Railroad now.

Looking forward to riding the train to Whittier for the June 28 Island Princess departure. Enjoy your cruise,

Thanks for the info. I saw the white tent today when we drove by the station to have a look. I have the Princess luggage tags, so it sounds like I should be able to check my bags as you describe.

How early should we be at the depot? Do the let people board when they arrive or do they board everyone at once? I'd like to get four seats in the dome car if they have one. Thanks

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info. I saw the white tent today when we drove by the station to have a look. I have the Princess luggage tags, so it sounds like I should be able to check my bags as you describe.

How early should we be at the depot? Do the let people board when they arrive or do they board everyone at once? I'd like to get four seats in the dome car if they have one. Thanks

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

We try to be there around 8:30. They assign your seat at check-in. We always ask for seats in dome/observation car but last year was the only time we've been assigned seats there. Everyone boards at the same time, like the airlines. Enjoy the ride!

We try to be there around 8:30. They assign your seat at check-in. We always ask for seats in dome/observation car but last year was the only time we've been assigned seats there. Everyone boards at the same time, like the airlines. Enjoy the ride!

This is really good information. I had no idea they assigned seats. I think I'll go over early for check in to see if I can get dome car seats. Can I check in and drop off luggage for all four of us, or do all four passengers have to be present? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

This is really good information. I had no idea they assigned seats. I think I'll go over early for check in to see if I can get dome car seats. Can I check in and drop off luggage for all four of us, or do all four passengers have to be present? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Seems to me the process of checking the luggage varies from year to year (this is our 10th Alaskan cruise:D). It probably depends upon the crew. Last year we just handed the bags over, they glanced at the Princess tags, and we were off to get in line for checking in! Wouldn't assume it will be that simple this year!

Where is your cabin on the Island? You know about the not-so-secret decks, don't you?;)

Seems to me the process of checking the luggage varies from year to year (this is our 10th Alaskan cruise:D). It probably depends upon the crew. Last year we just handed the bags over, they glanced at the Princess tags, and we were off to get in line for checking in! Wouldn't assume it will be that simple this year!

Where is your cabin on the Island? You know about the not-so-secret decks, don't you?;)

Nope, This is our first time on Island. We are on D aft, in a partial ocean view.

We are on the train right now.

It was very easy to check in luggage. As previously described, they will accept luggage with princess luggage tags and deliver those right to your stateroom. Check you luggage in the white tent.

Our seat assignment was on the top level of the double level coach. These are normally used for the extra charge GoldStar Dome train (not offered on this route).

IMG_2397-L.jpg

IMG_2398-L.jpg

There were no private cars attached to this train.

We are on the train right now.

It was very easy to check in luggage. As previously described, they will accept luggage with princess luggage tags and deliver those right to your stateroom. Check you luggage in the white tent.

Our seat assignment was on the top level of the double level coach. These are normally used for the extra charge GoldStar Dome train (not offered on this route).

IMG_2397-L.jpg

IMG_2398-L.jpg

There were no private cars attached to this train.

Fabulous! So glad this worked out well for your group. Have a wonderful time. We'll be right where you are two weeks from today!