Best off the beach snorkeling - own gear.

mattR

Coki, Sapphire, Secret Harbor and Cowpet on the East End are all good.

Coki is a much busier, small bay and one complaint there is the number of people feeding the fish and such but further out it's less busy. But very popular for snorkeling and for the more lively vibe.

Sapphire and SH are home to condos (no outside vendors like Coki) and may not have such a busy vibe. Sapphire has coral near the shore, you can enter the water to the left of the dive center where it's sandy and swim to the right to follow the reef out. To the left is a sea grass area where you may spot rays and turtles. SH has a reef that also offers good snorkeling. Both have restrooms and food and drinks. Sapphire would be our choice but depending on sea and weather conditions the water can be rough some days. But that's true with any bay.

Another option is Cowpet Bay or Elysian Beach, you pass this on the way to Secret Harbor. Also home to condo properties, you'll find very few if any cruisers there and the snorkeling is good. There is a beach bar I believe, as well as a restaurant. So you could hit Secret Harbor and if you like it there stay, or also snorkel Elysian since they are so close to one another. I don't know if they're walkable as I've only driven from one to the other. You'd have to ask a driver if it would make sense to get dropped at SH first then taxi to Cowpet, or vice versa. It's easier to get a taxi back to port from SH. Just a thought!

Here's a map showing the beach locations -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Edited by blue_water

Now that I think about it SH and Elysian are in the same general but probably a bit apart from each other so it would take a taxi to do both. But if interested a driver can help coordinate that.

You'll find trip reports on tripadvosor from folks who favor one beach or another as well, but all are great options.

Have done Trunk Bay on St. John and Secret Harbor on previous visits. My favorite is SH simply because it offers some good snorkling and has a great beach bar where I totally get lost in the moment...and a few Presidente cold brews! Magen's Bay also has a little bar if that is on your list.

"Best" is subjective and is subject to conditions which change constantly.

The most popular snorkeling beaches are Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor. Sapphire is potentially the roughest waters of the 3.

Search for posts under screen name mitsugirly for reviews and pics of snorkeling beaches.