Seattle - ferry to Bainbridge Island or Argosy Harbor Cruise

VermeulT

I guess some people find a working harbor to be interesting, but I don't find that industrial look to be very scenic. What's the priority ... a city view or a ride on a ferry?

We usually take out of town guests on the water taxi to Alki Beach at West Seattle. Spectacular skyline views, plus there's a beach and some interesting restaurants closeby. There are usually seals on the buoys in front of Saltys restaurant next to the dock. There are also resident bald eagles in West Seattle so watch for them (there's a nest across the street from Salty's.

Hopefully Gardyloo will see this thread and post some lovely photos of Alki Beach. Or do a search on Alki to find past threads and photos.

If the weather is crappy we take the Bremerton ferry, primarily because it travels closer to the shore of W.Seattle.

Water Taxi info http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi.aspx

Edited by mapleleaves

Are you deciding whether to buy the City Pass, or are you already buying it and you just want to know whether to do the Argosy cruise?

If you're buying it anyway, you might as well do the Argosy tour. While the harbor tour is one of their least scenic and interesting (personally, I would pick any of their others first--Tillicum Village and Blake Island, or the locks, or one of the lake tours), it's going to be pleasant enough, and it's the only one the City Pass covers.

If you haven't decided to buy the pass...just my opinion here, I know people buy it and feel like they got a great deal, but I would not. You have such a limited time to use it, and a limited list of things it covers. It looks like kind of a forced march to cram it all in, and at least personally, I would end up doing a couple of things I really wanted to do and a few more that were just meh, because I'd paid for them already. I would rather set my own agenda based on my own interests, without feeling the need to maximize the benefits of the pass.

If you don't buy the pass (or even if you do, if it leaves you the time), I would definitely take the ferry to Bainbridge. It's far cheaper to walk on the ferry than to take an Argosy cruise, and every bit as scenic. You can get off on the other end and walk up into Winslow (10-15 minute walk up a small hill) and have lunch (Streamliner Diner, Blackbird Bakery, and the Harbour Public House are all highly recommended), or an ice cream at Mora, or do some shopping before you head back. Or grab a cab or a bus from the ferry dock and visit the Bloedel Reserve, a gorgeous public garden with lovely paths throughout.

Argosy cruises are for tourists--the ferries are real deal Seattle. If getting a true feel for the place is a priority, take the ferry.

The Bremerton boat has better scenery, but downtown Bremerton approaches charm-free for tourists. The Bainbridge boat has equally good skyline and harbor scenery, and ends up somewhere interesting and charming. I'd heartily second all those dining and treat recommendations and add in Restaurant Marché for lunch or dinner. Bremerton takes an hour each way, Bainbridge :35.

The Argosy Harbor cruise is pretty meh.

I'm a Seattle native and have spent a lot of time riding ferry boats. The Bremerton ferry has the best route for viewing central Puget Sound scenery. I'd buy some gourmet snacks in Seattle, board the ferry, and have a grand picnic. We almost always see an abundance of marine mammals and sea birds on our way to Bremerton, especially when going through Rich Passage. You don't have to get off the boat in Bremerton. Just take the return boat to Seattle. If shops and restaurants are important, explore the Seattle waterfront and Pike Place Market.

You don't have to get off the boat in Bremerton. Just take the return boat to Seattle.

The most minor of quibbles; even those wanting to sail back on the same boat need to (briefly) disembark at Bremerton and reboard. To visitors who would like to do so, don't worry about time or complexity (there will be no issue there at all), but do plan to have your things together and proceed off the ferry.

Nothing against the ferries or Bainbridge, but I think the water taxi offers comparable scenery bang for the buck, it's shorter, and the walk/bike/free shuttle along the shore from the ferry dock to Alki beach is infinitely more scenic than the schlep through Winslow to get to the Harbour Pub or Doc's.

The water taxi summer schedule is now up - http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WSeattle.aspx

Nothing against the ferries or Bainbridge, but I think the water taxi offers comparable scenery bang for the buck, it's shorter, and the walk/bike/free shuttle along the shore from the ferry dock to Alki beach is infinitely more scenic than the schlep through Winslow to get to the Harbour Pub or Doc's.

The water taxi summer schedule is now up - http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WSeattle.aspx

Hmm, to each their own...scenic definitely is in the eye of the beholder! To me, gliding into Eagle Harbor on the ferry is breathtaking, the walk through Winslow is perfectly pleasant, and coming back to Seattle at sunset, with the sky not quite dark and the city lights just starting to come up, is just about the prettiest sight I've seen. I do like the water taxi (and Korean tacos at Marination Ma Kai on the Alki end, and a walk along the beach), but as a tourist, shorter really isn't the point, is it?

Well of course to each their own, and to be sure the BI ferry ride is no slouch (although I agree the Bremerton run is more scenic en route.)

...and coming back to Seattle at sunset, with the sky not quite dark and the city lights just starting to come up, is just about the prettiest sight I've seen.

Yes, and seeing it with the ferry in the view from West Seattle might even be better...

20091226_71c2.JPG

Are you deciding whether to buy the City Pass, or are you already buying it and you just want to know whether to do the Argosy cruise?

If you're buying it anyway, you might as well do the Argosy tour. While the harbor tour is one of their least scenic and interesting (personally, I would pick any of their others first--Tillicum Village and Blake Island, or the locks, or one of the lake tours), it's going to be pleasant enough, and it's the only one the City Pass covers.

If you haven't decided to buy the pass...just my opinion here, I know people buy it and feel like they got a great deal, but I would not. You have such a limited time to use it, and a limited list of things it covers. It looks like kind of a forced march to cram it all in, and at least personally, I would end up doing a couple of things I really wanted to do and a few more that were just meh, because I'd paid for them already. I would rather set my own agenda based on my own interests, without feeling the need to maximize the benefits of the pass.

If you don't buy the pass (or even if you do, if it leaves you the time), I would definitely take the ferry to Bainbridge. It's far cheaper to walk on the ferry than to take an Argosy cruise, and every bit as scenic. You can get off on the other end and walk up into Winslow (10-15 minute walk up a small hill) and have lunch (Streamliner Diner, Blackbird Bakery, and the Harbour Public House are all highly recommended), or an ice cream at Mora, or do some shopping before you head back. Or grab a cab or a bus from the ferry dock and visit the Bloedel Reserve, a gorgeous public garden with lovely paths throughout.

Argosy cruises are for tourists--the ferries are real deal Seattle. If getting a true feel for the place is a priority, take the ferry.

You hit the nail on the head here. Thanks so much.

"I would end up doing a couple of things I really wanted to do and a few more that were just meh, because I'd paid for them already. I would rather set my own agenda based on my own interests, without feeling the need to maximize the benefits of the pass."

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Thank you so much for your input.

And Gardyloo - thanks for the pix!

You hit the nail on the head here. Thanks so much.

"I would end up doing a couple of things I really wanted to do and a few more that were just meh, because I'd paid for them already. I would rather set my own agenda based on my own interests, without feeling the need to maximize the benefits of the pass."

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Thank you so much for your input.

And Gardyloo - thanks for the pix!

You're most welcome!