Marriott at IAH

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Gulf Coast Departures

Galveston, Gulfport,Houston, Mobile & New Orleans
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:04 PM.
SW Ontario
956 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Hi all,
Did a search but didn't come up with anything on this topic. I have a late arriving flight (11:30pm) the night before a cruise (Liberty of the Seas) and was thinking the best option would be to stay at the Marriott at IAH and then take ship transfer to Galveston the next morning. I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the Marriott at IAH (I'm assuming it is onsite at the airport) and if you did, what you thought of it? Any other options to consider?
TIA
Wales GB
443 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Sounds like a good plan. We have done this previously.

The hotel is quite old but has had some refurbishment.. There is nowhere to walk for last minute forgotten items, but the first time there we were able to purchase wine/ snacks from inhouse shop at $19. Second time shop was being refurbished so not possible. Soft drinks were available to buy at Reception. You would have time to take taxi early morning if desperate, to a store.

Hotel offered a very good buffet breakfast for $20 per person. Not sure restaurant would be open when you arrive and didn't use room service as we had eaten on international fight.

Rooms are clean and comfortable. Garden to sit in morning whilst waiting for transfer/ get some air. No aircraft noise in our room. Not a lot to look at except planes.

Hotel is accessed from airport via small, free underground shuttle(about 5 mins). RC also had a meet and greet with bus transfer. Free wi fi in lobby

Royal Caribbean transfer was well organised. Collected bags and coach transfer about 1.5 hours, including pick up of passengers arriving at airport. Got to port about 1pm

We would do this again if on tight schedule, but now retired so can fly in earlier and enjoy few days both pre and post cruise at Galveston

We enjoyed Liberty of Seas. Hope you do too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
1969 Reina del Mar (Union Castle Line)
1970 Reina del Mar
1971 Reina del Mar
1972 Reina del Mar
1973 Canberra (P&O)
1974 Canberra
1975 Canberra
1976 Canberra
1977 Canberra
1979 Vistafjord (Norwegian Caribbean)
1979 Canberra
1980 Canberra - twice
1981 Canberra - twice
1983 Canberra
1993 Canberra
2008 Golden Princess (Princess Cruises) Alaska
2010 Ruby Princess Caribbean
2012 Island Princess Panama Canal
2013 Serenade of Seas (Royal Caribbean) Middle East
2014 Navigator of Seas ex Galveston, Houston
2015 Emerald Princess ex Bayport,Houston
2016 Liberty of Seas ex Galveston, Houston
League City TX
1,069 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We have stayed recently at the Marriott since the re-furb. It was gutted and re-built on the inside. Really nice!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Somewhere under the sun"
Carnival Inspiration 12/30/01
Rhapsody of the Seas 08/03/03
Carnival Celebration 12/06/03
Grand Princess 12/04/04
Explorer of the Seas Sept 04, 2005
Carnival Conquest April 30, 2006
Splendour of the Seas Jan 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas April 2007
Adventure of the Seas May 2008
Carnival Ecstasy Sept 2008 Ike chased us back home
Carnival Conquest Sept 20, 2009
Golden Princess-Alaska May 29, 2010
Carnival Conquest May 1, 2011
Mariner of the Seas Nov 11 2011
Carnival Magic April 29, 2012
NCL Star-Bermuda Sept 02, 2012
Carnival Breeze Nov 24, 2012
Caribbean Princess Nov 16, 2013
Celebrity Solstice-Hawaii April 28, 2014
Carnival Magic Oct 5, 2014
NCL Dawn-Bermuda July 3, 2015
Adventure of the Seas B2B May 20/28 2016 the heart attack cruise..... don't leave home without travel insurance
Carnival Breeze May 2018 cruising again
SW Ontario
956 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Reina del Mar
Sounds like a good plan. We have done this previously.

The hotel is quite old but has had some refurbishment.. There is nowhere to walk for last minute forgotten items, but the first time there we were able to purchase wine/ snacks from inhouse shop at $19. Second time shop was being refurbished so not possible. Soft drinks were available to buy at Reception. You would have time to take taxi early morning if desperate, to a store.

Hotel offered a very good buffet breakfast for $20 per person. Not sure restaurant would be open when you arrive and didn't use room service as we had eaten on international fight.

Rooms are clean and comfortable. Garden to sit in morning whilst waiting for transfer/ get some air. No aircraft noise in our room. Not a lot to look at except planes.

Hotel is accessed from airport via small, free underground shuttle(about 5 mins). RC also had a meet and greet with bus transfer. Free wi fi in lobby

Royal Caribbean transfer was well organised. Collected bags and coach transfer about 1.5 hours, including pick up of passengers arriving at airport. Got to port about 1pm

We would do this again if on tight schedule, but now retired so can fly in earlier and enjoy few days both pre and post cruise at Galveston

We enjoyed Liberty of Seas. Hope you do too.
Thanks so much for the information. Just to confirm, if I just get the RC Transfer (not the hotel from RC), they will make a pick up at the hotel itself without me having to go to the airport itself to meet the transfer?
Wales GB
443 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by cruzgryphon
Thanks so much for the information. Just to confirm, if I just get the RC Transfer (not the hotel from RC), they will make a pick up at the hotel itself without me having to go to the airport itself to meet the transfer?
We booked hotel and transfer through RC so can't be sure.

You may have to return to airport to pick transfer up there. This would not be too difficult using the underground train. We took a little trip back to the airport prior to catching the transfer coach as we wanted to speak to the airline about our return flight..takes minutes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
1969 Reina del Mar (Union Castle Line)
1970 Reina del Mar
1971 Reina del Mar
1972 Reina del Mar
1973 Canberra (P&O)
1974 Canberra
1975 Canberra
1976 Canberra
1977 Canberra
1979 Vistafjord (Norwegian Caribbean)
1979 Canberra
1980 Canberra - twice
1981 Canberra - twice
1983 Canberra
1993 Canberra
2008 Golden Princess (Princess Cruises) Alaska
2010 Ruby Princess Caribbean
2012 Island Princess Panama Canal
2013 Serenade of Seas (Royal Caribbean) Middle East
2014 Navigator of Seas ex Galveston, Houston
2015 Emerald Princess ex Bayport,Houston
2016 Liberty of Seas ex Galveston, Houston
SW Ontario
956 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Reina del Mar
We booked hotel and transfer through RC so can't be sure.

You may have to return to airport to pick transfer up there. This would not be too difficult using the underground train. We took a little trip back to the airport prior to catching the transfer coach as we wanted to speak to the airline about our return flight..takes minutes.
Great!! Thanks for the information - something I'll definitely have to look into
Tennessee
4,075 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I stayed there this past May, I thought it was a nice hotel. I think there are too parts to the hotel if I'm correct, there is the tower looking hotel you see from the road and then there is a weird part to lower rooms - just ask for the tower if they've been updated. the lower rooms are nice, but just weird getting to it - I know this doesn't make sense, but hope it helps., But it is so nice, just getting on the tram and goes right to the hotel.
SW Ontario
956 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by hollon
I stayed there this past May, I thought it was a nice hotel. I think there are too parts to the hotel if I'm correct, there is the tower looking hotel you see from the road and then there is a weird part to lower rooms - just ask for the tower if they've been updated. the lower rooms are nice, but just weird getting to it - I know this doesn't make sense, but hope it helps., But it is so nice, just getting on the tram and goes right to the hotel.
Thanks very much for the great feedback and suggestion. Will definitely keep it in mind if my plans work out the way I hope they will next April.