Barcelona on Sunday

anteaters

After getting Rick Steve's book and reading through the section on Barcelona, it appears that many things are closed on Sunday. We're doing our actual tour on Monday so had planned just to wander around La Rambla and the Gothic area after we arrive on Sunday morning. If you have been in these areas on Sunday, can you give me an idea of what places might be open? It sounded as if even cafes might be closed....I guess we could do a HOHO tour but we had planned on just doing an already booked excursion on Monday. Thanks for any info.

Major tourist attractions will be open. Most cafes and restaurants will also be open.

Some shops will be closed, particularly large stores - small tourist type shops will be open. Boqueria market will be closed.

Thanks, both of you, for quickly answering. You have given me hope ;) . I am sorry that we'll be missing the Boqueria though since I have read a lot about it. But we have to meet for our Monday excursion at 8:55 AM and that will end our overnight Barcelona stay, so I guess we'll just have to see it from the outside....

We'll have an apartment in Barcelona in Barri Gotic for a week before our cruise that we hope will provide adequate time for us to see or do most (probably not all) of the 'must-see/must-do' things. Of the places below on our (well, my:)) list, which of these would make the most sense to do on Sunday (Sept 7), or even Saturday (if that made a difference)?

HOHO bus

Runner Bean Tour

Sagrada Familia

Park Guell

Case Batllo

Montserrat day trip (museum closed on Monday)

Possibly Montjuic Castle or cable car

Possibly Sitges day trip

Posssibly Font Magica

Boqueria market (closed on Sunday)

Shopping (most shops closed)

We're not big museum people. I did read that we can go to the Picasso Museum (free BTW) on the first Sunday of the month and that has some appeal because we're interested in his art.

Our plan is flexible!

Edited by Adventures ahead

We'll have an apartment in Barcelona in Barri Gotic for a week before our cruise that we hope will provide adequate time for us to see or do most (probably not all) of the 'must-see/must-do' things. Of the places below on our (well, my:)) list, which of these would make the most sense to do on Sunday (Sept 7), or even Saturday (if that made a difference)?

HOHO bus

Runner Bean Tour

Sagrada Familia

Park Guell

Case Batllo

Montserrat day trip (museum closed on Monday)

Possibly Montjuic Castle or cable car

Possibly Sitges day trip

Posssibly Font Magica

Boqueria market (closed on Sunday)

Shopping (most shops closed)

We're not big museum people. I did read that we can go to the Picasso Museum (free BTW) on the first Sunday of the month and that has some appeal because we're interested in his art.

Our plan is flexible!

Wow, I'm adding Casa Mila to my list! The roof!

My husband and I were in Barcelona in July on a Sunday for the day. We got off the Epic pretty early and walked up Las Ramblas. It was not crowded, made for a nice uphill walk! We went to the Sagrada Familia with pre-booked tickets at 10 am. I booked the the audio guide, a tower tour and the Basilica tour all together online. It took us about 2 hours to do the whole thing - could have probably stayed longer but we were ready to see more.

We then headed to the Gothic Quarter and saw the Cathedral and walked around. Some of the places we found on Trip Advisor that were supposed be good for lunch were closed because it was Sunday. If you do your research ahead of time if you have something specific in mind then you'll be fine. There were plenty of other places to eat that were open!

Park Guell would be another option for a Sunday. Wish we would have made time to go there! Would have been a great day together with the Sagrada Familia! A Gaudi tour!!!

I'm sure no matter what you chose to do you will have a fabulous time!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, HOHO buses operate every day of the week. I don't know why you want to visit Sitges, it is just another holiday resort very popular with the gay community.

I think I would possibly vist Parc Guell and maybe another one or two of the gaudi sites. I also like the Picasso museum in Barcelona. Being a Sunday, I would have to fit in a paella lunch along on the seafront.

Hi,

We were in Barcelona for the day last week and took a free walking tour with Runner Bean tours. They meet everyday rain or shine in Plaza Real where all the big tapas bars are. You only have to tip what you think the tour is worth...they are number 10 on trip advisor. The Gothic Quarter tour is amazing, interesting and fun. We met them at 11am and it lasted 2.5 hours.

Lisa xx

Hi,

We were in Barcelona for the day last week and took a free walking tour with Runner Bean tours. They meet everyday rain or shine in Plaza Real where all the big tapas bars are. You only have to tip what you think the tour is worth...they are number 10 on trip advisor. The Gothic Quarter tour is amazing, interesting and fun. We met them at 11am and it lasted 2.5 hours.

Lisa xx

We also took this tour and highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned and were in Barcelona on a glorious, sunny Sunday! Other than the markets being closed, places were jumping with activity! There was an outdoor music festival on the waterfront, a wine festival in the park and people everywhere. There were lots of families out enjoying the day, having lunch and strolling around. We had hoped to do the Picasso museum in the afternoon when it is free, but the lines were WAY too long!