B2B in Southampton - is Portsmouth doable?

We'll be in Southampton port for a B2B (RCCL) on Saturday, July 15th. I'm wanting to visit Portsmouth (Mary Rose, HMS Victory and possible Charles Dickens' birthplace). We have to be back on ship by 3:30 pm.

Any suggestions. I'd like to avoid renting a car. I think the train is the most likely option, but will we have enough time?

Cheers!

You don't have to do immigration etc like you do in the US, so if you can get off through the hoards, it is totally doable. There is a direct train at 0805 (if you are up that early!) to Portsmouth Harbour (which I think is what you need for Mary Rose etc...JB will put me right!). It is a 10 minute walk from City Cruise terminal to Southampton station. Direct train is 47 mins, but most trains you have to change at Fareham which makes the trip just over an hour. You need to back at Southampton station for 1500, so your last train back is at 1359 (change at Fareham). Return fare is £11.20. If you could get that 0805 train that would give you about 5 hrs in Portsmouth. You have to decide if thats enough.

Simon

You do need the Harbour Station which is close to the dockyard gates.

However, I think you would struggle to do all three attractions in such a short time. Would be better to limit it to one ship maybe, and add the museum. There is a lovely cafe in the dockyard close to Warrior, which is a very interesting ship to visit as well. It is close to Victory.

Charles Dickens birthplace is at the other end of the city, and really not walkable within your time scale.

The Historic Dockyard itself does not actually open until 10.00am so that you leave you around three and a half hrs to visit there, giving enough time to make sure you get the train you need.

It's enough time for the Mary Rose exhibit and the Victory which are next to each other, there is a nice little café for a coffee and a sandwich there. The Victory is currently in the middle of a refit that will last many years and has no spars and sails at the moment.

The Warrior is good as well and worth visiting if you have enough time.

As others have posted, train is quick, cheap, easy and more frequent than the Nat Express bus service. Direct service is broadly hourly, there's also a service with a simple change of train at Fareham. Yes, stay on the train to its end-station PORTSMOUTH HARBOUR. It's a three minute walk to the historic dockyard and ships.

The 10am opening is a bind , there's the Gunwharf Quays shopping mall and its waterfront cafes if you're much too early.

You'll barely scratch the surface in your under-three-hours but it can be done.

JB :)

I was just thinking (sorry!), if you want a bit less stress, you could go to Salisbury for the day. There are 3 or 4 trains an hour and its about 30-40 min trip, £10.50 return. You don't have to go to Stonehenge, but could just walk round the city and visit the tallest cathedral in Britain. They also have the worlds oldest working mechanical clock and an original of the Magna Carta. 1433 train from Salisbury gets you back for 1503, so time to walk to the ship and walk off your pub lunch! Just a thought.

Simon

We will be visiting the Historic Dockyard before we embark on our BI cruise this August. Our plan is to take an early train from Waterloo Station to Portsmouth Harbor to arrive before 10 am. We figured around 3 hours before we have to catch the train to Southampton for embarkation. A couple of questions I have are where can we check our luggage once we arrive at Portsmouth Harbor and would it be more convenient to take a cab/private car instead of the train to Southampton from Portsmouth Harbor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all of the ideas! Since I'm traveling with my Mom (78) and daughter (15), I may just stay in Southampton for the day.... Less stress!

Kind of bummed though, 'cuz I really wanted to see the Mary Rose and Victory. But with the Victory under refurbishment and the time constraints, I'll save it for a future visit.

We're already scheduled for Salisbury and Stonehenge when we debark the final portion of our B2B cruises.

Cheers!

We will be visiting the Historic Dockyard before we embark on our BI cruise this August. Our plan is to take an early train from Waterloo Station to Portsmouth Harbor to arrive before 10 am. We figured around 3 hours before we have to catch the train to Southampton for embarkation. A couple of questions I have are where can we check our luggage once we arrive at Portsmouth Harbor and would it be more convenient to take a cab/private car instead of the train to Southampton from Portsmouth Harbor.

Unfortunately there is nowhere convenient to leave your luggage in Portsmouth. The Dockyard does not have a left luggage for security reasons and the only place is at the ferry terminal. This is not walkable and you would have to take a taxi to the ferry terminal, leave your luggage and then a taxi to the Historic Dockyard. This would seriously eat into your time and frankly it would not be worth it.

Has anyone ever stored their bags at Victory News? The following is from the Historic Dockyards FAQ.

Luggage cannot be left unattended anywhere on the Historic Dockyard site as we are part of a working military base. If you have luggage that you cannot carry with you, there is a small shop on The Hard called "Victory News" just outside the Dockyard gates that will hold luggage for you.

Just curious if anyone has used this option.

Has anyone ever stored their bags at Victory News? The following is from the Historic Dockyards FAQ.

Luggage cannot be left unattended anywhere on the Historic Dockyard site as we are part of a working military base. If you have luggage that you cannot carry with you, there is a small shop on The Hard called "Victory News" just outside the Dockyard gates that will hold luggage for you.

Just curious if anyone has used this option.

The Dockyard website appears to be out-of-date.

What was Victory News, a newsagent/tobacconist shop, is now Café Oasis.

Unsurprisingly, it's now a café ;)

But it continues to store luggage for those visiting the Dockyard. :)

It's on The Hard, between Warrior House & The Ship Anson pub,.just a few yards toward the dockyard gate from the Travel Interchange (Portsmouth Harbour train station / bus station, National Express coaches, ferries, taxis)

Very convenient.

Haven't used it - have never needed to stow luggage in Portsmouth.

But someone who has is amongst the cafe's reviewers

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186298-d12151358-Reviews-Cafe_Oasis-Portsmouth_Hampshire_England.html

JB :)

Edited by John Bull