Kotor, Montenegro

BBMacLaird

Love Kotor! First time I visited it was a real surprise. The sail in/out is spectacular. I think it fair to say it's been discovered. Certainly if the way the town has developed is anything to go by, but it still has a lot of charm.

I've been there three times. Twice on Celebrity and once on Azamara. This brings into focus why I prefer the smaller ships. On Celebrity it is a tender port. On Azamara you dock. We had a really long tender ride last year on Equinox. The ship anchored close to the town first thing in the morning (to let the tours off presumably), but then the wind got up and we had to reposition up the bay and had a long tender ride. This is now common I understand because of complaints about shore erosion from the thrusters used to keep the ship in position. Put that together with the later stay on Azamara (the place looks wonderful at night) and I'd much prefer to be there on Journey or Quest.

Love the Dalmatian Coast.

Phil

Love Kotor! First time I visited it was a real surprise. The sail in/out is spectacular. I think it fair to say it's been discovered. Certainly if the way the town has developed is anything to go by, but it still has a lot of charm.

I've been there three times. Twice on Celebrity and once on Azamara. This brings into focus why I prefer the smaller ships. On Celebrity it is a tender port. On Azamara you dock. We had a really long tender ride last year on Equinox. The ship anchored close to the town first thing in the morning (to let the tours off presumably), but then the wind got up and we had to reposition up the bay and had a long tender ride. This is now common I understand because of complaints about shore erosion from the thrusters used to keep the ship in position. Put that together with the later stay on Azamara (the place looks wonderful at night) and I'd much prefer to be there on Journey or Quest.

Phil

Yes, completely agree. We sailed into Kotor last summer on the Silhouette. It's one of the most spectacular locations in Europe. Some of my best photos are from the sail in/out in this amazing port. We did anchor far out in the bay, but it gave me the opportunity to take some fabulous pics of the ship. We were in port with the Silver Spirit, which was docked right in town and overnighted, while we departed at 5pm. I'd love to return on an Azamara ship.

Michael

Visited Kotor on a beautiful sunny November day on Azamara Journey and climbed up to the fortress with a group of passengers and crew led by Captain Johannes and with Ryszard lugging a rucksack full of bottled water to keep everyone hydrated. After time admiring the great view we all made our way back down to the town for a beer whilst Johannes and Ryszard raced each other to the bottom!!

That's what makes Azamara special.

Azamara facebook photo link below.

https://nb-no.facebook.com/AzamaraClubCruises/photos/a.10150141674952144.287595.191979232143/10150377542327144/

Visited Kotor on a beautiful sunny November day on Azamara Journey and walked up the path to the fortress with a group of passengers and crew, led by Captain Johannes and with Ryszard lugging a rucksack full of water to keep us hydrated. After a fabulous viewpoint we made our way back down, whilst Johannes and Ryszard raced each other to the bottom.

A great day, and what makes Azamara different!!

Visited Kotor on a beautiful sunny November day on Azamara Journey and climbed up to the fortress with a group of passengers and crew led by Captain Johannes and with Ryszard lugging a rucksack full of bottled water to keep everyone hydrated. After time admiring the great view we all made our way back down to the town for a beer whilst Johannes and Ryszard raced each other to the bottom!!

That's what makes Azamara special.

Azamara facebook photo link below.

https://nb-no.facebook.com/AzamaraClubCruises/photos/a.10150141674952144.287595.191979232143/10150377542327144/

Hi Alfredo1, thanks for sharing this story, and the FB photo. Fun to see!

Phil

I think we must have travelled on the same itinerary on Equinox last fall.

We were told that Equinox got special permission to get close for tendering in the morning but that local regulations required the ship be moved further out, resulting in a longer tender ride, for the afternoon.

We loved Kotor and got an invitation to do sail away on the helicopter pad (forward) which was fantastic. We'll certain not hesitate to visit Kotor (and Dubrovnik) if given half a chance.

Say, are you the Phil that was travelling with George Bell & company?

Yes, that was me!

Phil

Bill & Cindy from Calgary here.

You're quite famous, Phil (as though I need to tell you...). We saw some friends last night that have also sailed with you, Kim & Celia also from Calgary.

Hope you've been well and, obviously, still sailing the world. :)

Bill & Cindy from Calgary here.

You're quite famous, Phil (as though I need to tell you...). We saw some friends last night that have also sailed with you, Kim & Celia also from Calgary.

Hope you've been well and, obviously, still sailing the world. :)

Oh my! I better keep a lower profile in future;) I think you are on Journey very soon. I hope your travel plans go ok. If you want to drive yourself crazy here's a link to a live webcam of that volcano:o

http://www.ovsicori.una.ac.cr/?option=com_content&view=article&id=43

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden