Turks and Caicos

lilrod

Does somebody has information or has somebody gone to the Turks and Caicos Island?

I am thinking to go there this year on a cruise ship, and it has this port.

Thanks for information.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

I have been to the Turks & Caicos several times. It is actually a group of islands south of the Bahamas. You will probably be docking at Grand Turk or possibly Providenciales (know as Provo).

Grand Turk is the mostly likely port but unfortunately I don't know a lot about it - we always stayed on Provo (the most developed island for tourists).

Grand Turk is the capital but it is VERY quiet and undeveloped. The beaches in the T&C are amongst the best in the Caribbean (although technically the T & C are actually not in the Caribbean - they are a little north). Other than fantastic beaches and great diving and snorkeling and (depending on the time of year) - whale watching - there is not a lot to do. We love the T&C for the fantastic beaches and clear beautiful water. On Grand Turk there is a small museum which has received praise.

Try to find out if you are stopping at Grand Turk or Provo - if it is Provo I can give you a little more info.

Thanks Zeno

The port is Grand Turk. It is with Costa Cruises. At this moment I can't remember if it is the Costa Fortuna or Magica. Let me see what other information I can get.

Thank you for your help.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

I just returned from the Crystal Serenity making a stop in Grand Turk which is at the far southeastern tip of the island chain just north of the Dominican Republic. I scuba dive; & have been aware of the excellent diving surrounding these islands for many years; yet it was my first visit. I had heard from many who have made a stop there; & they all came back saying the same thing ("why were we there in the first place?") There is nothing there basically, although there is a large cruise pier being built as well as a resort hotel (which I believe is courtesy of Carnival). What a shame that there are no port facilities in Providenciales (Provo). I've had a friend in Provo for 10 years who has been begging me to come visit. Since I was going to be "in the neighborhood", I decided to fly over for the day. Provo is at the far northwestern end of the island chain; & is only a 25 min. flight. This was easily accomplished since there are 2 airlines (Air Turks & Caicos & Skyking) w/ flights that leave approximately every 90 mins between Grand Turk & Provo. These are small 8-12 seater prop planes. They may not look like much; but they have an unbelievable safety record. Provo is gorgeous; the colors of the water is reminescent of Bora Bora. Only half the island is developed; & one needs a 4 wheel drive to maneuver the rocky pot holed secondary roads. The scenery is beautiful; beaches divine. But the secret is out; resort/condo construction is running rampant (especially in the area of Grace Bay). I was lucky in that my friend took the day off & gave me a whirlwind tour & a nice lunch. The biggest obstacle of this excursion is that I had a hard time getting a cab to the airport in Grand Turk. Even w/ a large ship in port, there were no cabs lining up in the downtown area. It's like they know there's nothing to see; & those who do get off take a ship's excursion. I am SOOOO glad I made this journey (cost $160/RT airfare). All my tablemates were so jealous when I showed them my photos the next day. I'm sailing there again in Nov.; & will (again) take the flight over to see more. :D

I just returned from the Crystal Serenity making a stop in Grand Turk which is at the far southeastern tip of the island chain just north of the Dominican Republic. I scuba dive; & have been aware of the excellent diving surrounding these islands for many years; yet it was my first visit. I had heard from many who have made a stop there; & they all came back saying the same thing ("why were we there in the first place?") There is nothing there basically, although there is a large cruise pier being built as well as a resort hotel (which I believe is courtesy of Carnival). What a shame that there are no port facilities in Providenciales (Provo). I've had a friend in Provo for 10 years who has been begging me to come visit. Since I was going to be "in the neighborhood", I decided to fly over for the day. Provo is at the far northwestern end of the island chain; & is only a 25 min. flight. This was easily accomplished since there are 2 airlines (Air Turks & Caicos & Skyking) w/ flights that leave approximately every 90 mins between Grand Turk & Provo. These are small 8-12 seater prop planes. They may not look like much; but they have an unbelievable safety record. Provo is gorgeous; the colors of the water is reminescent of Bora Bora. Only half the island is developed; & one needs a 4 wheel drive to maneuver the rocky pot holed secondary roads. The scenery is beautiful; beaches divine. But the secret is out; resort/condo construction is running rampant (especially in the area of Grace Bay). I was lucky in that my friend took the day off & gave me a whirlwind tour & a nice lunch. The biggest obstacle of this excursion is that I had a hard time getting a cab to the airport in Grand Turk. Even w/ a large ship in port, there were no cabs lining up in the downtown area. It's like they know there's nothing to see; & those who do get off take a ship's excursion. I am SOOOO glad I made this journey (cost $160/RT airfare). All my tablemates were so jealous when I showed them my photos the next day. I'm sailing there again in Nov.; & will (again) take the flight over to see more. :D

Thanks for the info. I have been to Provo three or four times and find the water wonderful. I guess whe Elation is there in May, I'll find a beach and snorkel or dive on Grand Turk.

Thanks for your information Liv4cruzin. Reading your message I think that takes off the cruise of Costa of my list. I go to places and I like to see things not only beach and water.

I have to keep on looking.

Lilrod

Puerto Rico

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

We were just here in March with Holland American. They have a place you can buy things as you get off the ship. The chairs and lounges on the beach are free to use. We walked the beach, as you are looking at the island we walked to the right. We found the conch graveyard and we also picked up sea glass. You can also grab a taxi and they will take you around the island for about $20.00 per person. They even dropped our friends off at a beach and picked them up later. We enjoyed our time her hope you do too.

• 3 years later...