Cruise out of MIA - should we stay in MIA or FLL?

phabric

I normally cruise and stay (near the beach) in FLL, enjoy walking beach, water taxi.

I have only stayed 1 time in MIA, I think the Sheraton at the airport. I had a car and went to the Market Place, once was enough, not into shopping. I have taken ship transfer from port to airport when I flew FLL and returned MIA.

I have a cruise planned out of MIA for next year. I usually go a few days in advance in the winter.

I can get flights to both FLL and MIA or one way into each city.

Any recommendations for a hotel in MIA for a few days?

What to do in MIA beside stores?

Or, is better to stay in FLL and take shuttle to MIA?

Miami has shopping, the beach, and Lincoln Rd. As far as a hotel goes, I don't know what you are looking for and budget so I would look at hotels.com or another travel website that has reviews and search for something with good reviews

I normally cruise and stay (near the beach) in FLL, enjoy walking beach, water taxi.

I have only stayed 1 time in MIA, I think the Sheraton at the airport. I had a car and went to the Market Place, once was enough, not into shopping. I have taken ship transfer from port to airport when I flew FLL and returned MIA.

I have a cruise planned out of MIA for next year. I usually go a few days in advance in the winter.

I can get flights to both FLL and MIA or one way into each city.

Any recommendations for a hotel in MIA for a few days?

What to do in MIA beside stores?

Or, is better to stay in FLL and take shuttle to MIA?

Miami has higher rates for hotels, very little beach that is difficult to get to, parking problems, high charges for parking at hotels and a higher crime rate. I can't think of anything to do in Miami you can't do in Ft Lauderdale for sometimes at half the price.

Miami has higher rates for hotels, very little beach that is difficult to get to, parking problems, high charges for parking at hotels and a higher crime rate. I can't think of anything to do in Miami you can't do in Ft Lauderdale for sometimes at half the price.

Very little beach? Are you talking about the actual city limits of Miami and not including Miami Beach into this? FLL has plenty of activities, and many will see it as more "family friendly" but you can't compare the two cities, Lauderdale is more similar to a suburb of Miami than anything else.

It's up to you (OP) in what fits your needs the most. But there is certainly more to do in Miami than go to the Market Place, I expect what you mean is Bayside. Also, when you are spending more than just an afternoon/evening pre-cruise in Miami, most people also include Miami Beach into all the discussions.

Things to do in Miami:

The restaurant choices are fantastic, FLL has good choices too, but they don't compare to Miami. Let us know what type of food and price range you are interested in.

Miami Beach: Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. Ocean Drive is a spot to look at (very touristy) but it does have the world famous Art Deco District. Lincoln Road is a great outdoor mall type area with plenty of side walk cafes, stores etc. open late too.

Wynwood: If you are into art at all Wynwood is a great area to check out, FLL has nothing like this.

Miami Art Museum.

Miami's brand new science museum is opening in two months.

Zoo Miami is one of the best zoos in the country

Biscayne National Park

Check out Little Havana

Check out Coral Gables and have lunch at the Biltmore Hotel.

Venetian Pools

Boat tour of Biscayne Bay.

Beaches: The Beaches along the barrier islands from Miami Beach up to Hollywood are all similar. If you don't want crowds, its an easy drive up to Surfside or northern area of Miami Beach where there are many less tourist. I am not sure how there is a "very little" beach in Miami.

And more. Miami will most of the time be more expensive, and you would need to decide whether you want to stay in Miami (Downtown/Brickell) not by the beach or on Miami Beach. Miami Beach is still close by to Downtown, just not walking distance. Of course, Miami being the larger busier place parking is more expensive and there is more traffic. If you plan to just stay in Downtown and Miami Beach area you don't need a car uber and public transit is enough.

We have stayed at both cities.

If you have a few days I would choose Miami over Fort Lauderdale.

Consider staying downtown. Lots of restaurants and shopping and you can take a taxi or UBER over to South Beach.

Lots of hotels.

I will share several at various price points.

These three are relatively close.

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Epic Hotel

These four a relatively close.

Hampton Inn

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

Four Seasons

I would look to dine at Mary Brickell Village. Lots of choices.

Shopping now include Brickell Center with some restaurants too.

My wife and I love to walk and enjoy walking Miami and one day we go over to South Beach where you can walk and go to the beach and just take it all in. Even a few museums.

Keith

I second South Beach! Lots of great little hotels on Ocean Drive. Super expensive compared to FLL, but if you've never done it, worth a go!

I love drinks/lunch on Ocean Deive for the people watching. Renting bikes to check out the whole of the beach first thing in the morning. Lincoln road for dinner and window shopping. Lots to see and do!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Very little beach? Are you talking about the actual city limits of Miami and not including Miami Beach into this? FLL has plenty of activities, and many will see it as more "family friendly" but you can't compare the two cities, Lauderdale is more similar to a suburb of Miami than anything else.

It's up to you (OP) in what fits your needs the most. But there is certainly more to do in Miami than go to the Market Place, I expect what you mean is Bayside. Also, when you are spending more than just an afternoon/evening pre-cruise in Miami, most people also include Miami Beach into all the discussions.

Things to do in Miami:

The restaurant choices are fantastic, FLL has good choices too, but they don't compare to Miami. Let us know what type of food and price range you are interested in.

Miami Beach: Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. Ocean Drive is a spot to look at (very touristy) but it does have the world famous Art Deco District. Lincoln Road is a great outdoor mall type area with plenty of side walk cafes, stores etc. open late too.

Wynwood: If you are into art at all Wynwood is a great area to check out, FLL has nothing like this.

Miami Art Museum.

Miami's brand new science museum is opening in two months.

Zoo Miami is one of the best zoos in the country

Biscayne National Park

Check out Little Havana

Check out Coral Gables and have lunch at the Biltmore Hotel.

Venetian Pools

Boat tour of Biscayne Bay.

Beaches: The Beaches along the barrier islands from Miami Beach up to Hollywood are all similar. If you don't want crowds, its an easy drive up to Surfside or northern area of Miami Beach where there are many less tourist. I am not sure how there is a "very little" beach in Miami.

And more. Miami will most of the time be more expensive, and you would need to decide whether you want to stay in Miami (Downtown/Brickell) not by the beach or on Miami Beach. Miami Beach is still close by to Downtown, just not walking distance. Of course, Miami being the larger busier place parking is more expensive and there is more traffic. If you plan to just stay in Downtown and Miami Beach area you don't need a car uber and public transit is enough.

After skimming your long, long post I came to the conclusion that it you agree with that me there is not much to do in Miami of interest to cruisers. Most everything of interest is in Miami Beach and Miami Beach is difficult to get to (you could get stuck on the Causeway for hours), high priced hotels, high priced parking and high prices. Isn't that what I said?

After skimming your long, long post I came to the conclusion that it you agree with that me there is not much to do in Miami of interest to cruisers. Most everything of interest is in Miami Beach and Miami Beach is difficult to get to (you could get stuck on the Causeway for hours), high priced hotels, high priced parking and high prices. Isn't that what I said?

What? Other than Beaches and the specific things I listed in Miami Beach none are in Miami Beach. Wynwood, Coral Gables, Little Havana, the museums, boat tours, those are not in Miami Beach.

I know you have something against Miami, lots of people don't like Miami, there is nothing wrong with that, but sharing deceptively, vague and ambiguous short information is not right.

No one, except for maybe you, thinks when someone says "I want to see Miami for a few days" thinks, ok that is just the 38 square miles of Miami's city limits. Miami Beach, Miami, Coral Gables, they are all one of the same, the Greater Miami area. Most people, outside of South Florida consider Ft. Lauderdale part of Miami too.

No one gets stuck on the bridge for hours, the tourist areas of Miami have no crazy crime rates either. To say there is more to do in Lauderdale or the same is false. My list had more to do outside of Miami Beach than it did inside Miami Beach.

So no, I don't agree with you. I agree Miami Beach has higher prices, its more expensive to park there too. But other than that, we completely disagree.

Both Lauderdale area and Miami area have their positives and negatives, it all depends on what the person is looking to do and if budget is a main concern.

What? Other than Beaches and the specific things I listed in Miami Beach none are in Miami Beach. Wynwood, Coral Gables, Little Havana, the museums, boat tours, those are not in Miami Beach.

Most of your post was about Miami Beach and the rest seemed to be an afterthought.

I know you have something against Miami, lots of people don't like Miami, there is nothing wrong with that, but sharing deceptively, vague and ambiguous short information is not right.

There is nothing deceptive, ambiguous and vague about the facts which you deny and try to obscure

I have nothing against Miami, I just deal in the realities of Miami...High crime rate, high prices, parking problems...All things which visitors have to deal with that you refuse to admit or even mention.

No one, except for maybe you, thinks when someone says "I want to see Miami for a few days" thinks, ok that is just the 38 square miles of Miami's city limits. Miami Beach, Miami, Coral Gables, they are all one of the same, the Greater Miami area. Most people, outside of South Florida consider Ft. Lauderdale part of Miami too.

Huh? I don't know anyone, and I mean anyone, who considers Ft Lauderdale part of Miami. The OP certainly doesn't and that is the point of his entire thread.

No one gets stuck on the bridge for hours, the tourist areas of Miami have no crazy crime rates either. To say there is more to do in Lauderdale or the same is false. My list had more to do outside of Miami Beach than it did inside Miami Beach.

Yes, people get stuck on the causeways with heavy traffic, car crashes and even protests. Here's an example at 2:30 PM on a Saturday...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article114400558.html

"the tourist areas of Miami have no crazy crime rates either" Uh...yes, they do. The crime rate in Miami Beach alone is more than twice as high as the rest of Florida...

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/miami-beach/crime

So no, I don't agree with you. I agree Miami Beach has higher prices, its more expensive to park there too. But other than that, we completely disagree.

OK, we'll agree that you are in denial then...:cool:

Both Lauderdale area and Miami area have their positives and negatives, it all depends on what the person is looking to do and if budget is a main concern.

Agreed...But Miami/Miami Beach/Coconut Grove/Brickel/Coral Gables, et al have more than their share of problems. I say come to Ft Lauderdale and relax on miles and miles of beach rather than sitting in traffic on the MacAuthur Causeway and then hoping you can find a high priced parking space once you get there