Marseilles - any recent experience with free shuttles?

HCruisers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the free shuttle is definitely running, though not every day, especially outside the main season: I checked this with the Port Authority at Marseille's Top Cruise travel industry convention in November.

The aim of the subsidised free shuttle service, obviously, is to encourage cruisers to stay (and spend money!) in Marseille and not hurtle off instead on an excursion to Aix or Cassis.

Obviously it's much in demand, so seats can sometimes be in short supply. Your cruise company will not tell you about it because it wants you to take its own paid-for shuttle or shore excursion instead (I've even heard stories that cruise staff are specifically instructed to keep quiet about it or even deny its existence!) More about Marseille's cruise port: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/marseille/practical-information/cruise-ship-port

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this free shuttle will be running in May 2015 still and if it will get me anywhere near the Hard Rock cafe in 35, Cours Honoré d’Estiennes d’Orves 13001 Marseille? TIA:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too, am curious. We have chosen not to take any shore excursions. Would like to snoop around on our own..but stay close to the port. Will also be there in late May, 2015. If anyone has any 'must see' places close to the port, would appreciate it !!

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Marseille a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't find any free shuttles from St Charles. What I suspect- RTM route 35 serves the port entrance from Joliette Metro. There seems to be what may be a peak time stop near the cruise terminal. Perhaps there is a short-turn #35 serving the terminal on cruise days. In which case it's not actually free, you've paid the fare to get to Joliette, and going to, it's probably easier for RTM for you to pay the fare at the station.

I was in Marseille on April 4th with MSC Splendida. The free shuttle bus was operating. Once I exited the terminal I walked over to the road side of the building and followed the green path that had the walking man symbol painted on it. It's about 6 - 8 mins walk to the free shuttle bus that runs every 30 mins. We just pottered around the old port part of Marseille and did some shopping. It was very windy down by the port but it was a lovely sunny day.

Nice to hear that it's still in operation. Thought these links from previous discussions might be useful for those with questions about the Marseille port shuttle.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2192193

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1861134

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2075639

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2132074

Enjoy France!

I was in Marseille on April 4th with MSC Splendida. The free shuttle bus was operating. Once I exited the terminal I walked over to the road side of the building and followed the green path that had the walking man symbol painted on it. It's about 6 - 8 mins walk to the free shuttle bus that runs every 30 mins. We just pottered around the old port part of Marseille and did some shopping. It was very windy down by the port but it was a lovely sunny day.

I noticed that you were in Marseille on a Saturday. I don't know if this is correct or not but I had read somewhere that the free shuttles are normally only in operation from Friday through Sunday. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the free shuttle being in operation earlier in the week (Monday - Thursday)?

Arrived in Marseille last sunday and used the free Shuttle bus. It runs every 30 minutes. At the bus stop is a sign with "cruise shuttle" on it.

Because there were 3 ships in port (Costa Diadema, Horizon and MSC Armonia), the waiting line for the bus was quite long and sometimes you have to wait for the next run 30 minutes later.

The bus stops near Place Joliette. From here it's about 15 minutes walk to the city centre. If you have to go to Gare Saint-Charles train station, you can take the subway M2 from Place Joliette, which is to the left of the bus stop. It's only two stops and costs 1,60 euro per person.

Edited by Skydrift

• 3 weeks later...

Marseille was one of our ports of call last year. We docked at the huge Mole' Leon Gourret port which is the furthest point from the entrance at Joliet. We walked 2 miles to the highway where the 35 Bus to town was supposed to leave but we couldn't find it so we succumbed to the ship's shuttle to town. MSC will never tell any passenger of any free service or local transportation so you are on your own. We never saw or heard of any free shuttle and all of my efforts prior to our departure came up with nothing.

Mole' Leon Gourret is where all the megaships arrive. It's a giant quagmire of ships and streets and no escape in sight. The metro leaves from the entrance of Joliet which is about 4 miles away, closer to the city so that won't work.

Marseille does have a few charms. The Vieux Port is quite lovely and entertaining. There are a lot of restaurants around it.

I suggest a ferry ride to visit Chateau D'If, the infamous prison where the fictitious Count of Monte Cristo was held. It's a lovely little rock within sight of Marseille with nice views and a very cool medieval prison which did hold real prisoners. I believe we paid E13.00 round-trip for the ferry and another E6.00 to tour the prison. The ferry departs from the Vieux Port and you go right by the castle at the port exit.

We also took the hop on hop off little train tour just to get to the Cathedral of Notre Dame. It's quite a ways and not walkable and also up a steep incline. You can see the cathedral on top of it's hill from everywhere and it's worth a visit.

Dear Skydrift,

Your message is encouraging. Did you arrive at the Marseille airport or the train station. I will be arriving at the airport this year and the best taxi fare I could get was E60.00. I'm sure a taxi from Joliette to the MSC Armonia would be much cheaper if we could take the shuttle there.

Marseille was one of our ports of call last year. We docked at the huge Mole' Leon Gourret port which is the furthest point from the entrance at Joliet. We walked 2 miles to the highway where the 35 Bus to town was supposed to leave but we couldn't find it so we succumbed to the ship's shuttle to town. MSC will never tell any passenger of any free service or local transportation so you are on your own. We never saw or heard of any free shuttle and all of my efforts prior to our departure came up with nothing.

Mole' Leon Gourret is where all the megaships arrive. It's a giant quagmire of ships and streets and no escape in sight. The metro leaves from the entrance of Joliet which is about 4 miles away, closer to the city so that won't work.

Marseille does have a few charms. The Vieux Port is quite lovely and entertaining. There are a lot of restaurants around it.

I suggest a ferry ride to visit Chateau D'If, the infamous prison where the fictitious Count of Monte Cristo was held. It's a lovely little rock within sight of Marseille with nice views and a very cool medieval prison which did hold real prisoners. I believe we paid E13.00 round-trip for the ferry and another E6.00 to tour the prison. The ferry departs from the Vieux Port and you go right by the castle at the port exit.

We also took the hop on hop off little train tour just to get to the Cathedral of Notre Dame. It's quite a ways and not walkable and also up a steep incline. You can see the cathedral on top of it's hill from everywhere and it's worth a visit.

How much money was the ship shuttle?

Gosh, I'm sorry but I can't remember exactly. It wasn't bad for MSC. I think it was around E14.00 or E16.00 round-trip per person and it drops you off just two blocks from the Vieux Port and around the corner from the tourist office.