What's the difference...

RCCLNYMETS41

What's the difference between a repositioning cruise & a transatlantic/transPacific cruise?

Just a matter of how Royal chooses to classify the cruise. Most transatlantics and transpacifics are also repositioning cruises. However, there are some cruises that are not transpacific or transatlantic that they call repositioning. The Radiance class ship that goes from Boston to Tampa comes to mind.

Transatlantic/transpacific cruises are a subset of repositioning cruises. But a repositioning cruise could also be from a port in the Northeast to a port in Florida, for instance, or from Europe to Asia, or from Florida to South America - the ship would be changing its home port, and might spend some time on the Atlantic or Pacific, but would not be crossing the Atlantic or Pacific.

What's the difference between a repositioning cruise & a transatlantic/transPacific cruise?

I haven't taken either, so maybe i'm not fully "qualified" to answer this. But in my cruise searches, I've gathered that a re positioning cruise is when the ship is moving to a different port, ie from let's say Florida to England. So instead of sailing over there empty, they will have a re positioning cruise and sail from Florida and leave you off in England. For transatlantic cruises it's pretty much the same, you are cruising across the Atlantic and it's not a closed loop cruise, you start off at one port, and end in another. transpacific is cruising across the pacific ocean so different itineraries but same concept. Usually you can find amazing last min trans Atlantic deals, i once saw a 13 night leaving in 2 wks for $450 per person.. however no way i could tell my job i'm outta here so last min :rolleyes:

I haven't taken either, so maybe i'm not fully "qualified" to answer this. But in my cruise searches, I've gathered that a re positioning cruise is when the ship is moving to a different port, ie from let's say Florida to England. So instead of sailing over there empty, they will have a re positioning cruise and sail from Florida and leave you off in England. For transatlantic cruises it's pretty much the same, you are cruising across the Atlantic and it's not a closed loop cruise, you start off at one port, and end in another. transpacific is cruising across the pacific ocean so different itineraries but same concept. Usually you can find amazing last min trans Atlantic deals, i once saw a 13 night leaving in 2 wks for $450 per person.. however no way i could tell my job i'm outta here so last min :rolleyes:

Yeah, the simplest way I could think of saying it is: transatlantic/transpacific cruises are repositioning cruises, but not all repositioning cruises are transatlantic/transpacific.

But Bob beat us both.