Insurance for cruise 2017

Nana57

I just booked a cruise for next June 2017. When should I purchase travel insurance? It seems so far out to purchase. Should I wait for final payment as cruise will most likely go down in price. Also, It's too early to book the flight.

I've always used the same travel insurance provider with a policy that waives pre-existing conditions as long as I purchase within 21 days of first deposit...so I purchase right away.

The longest out I've purchased is about 21 months. This last cruise, the deposit was made in May so about 10 months out.

When I purchase the policy the coverage I buy is for the total cost of the cruise fare only. I will call and up the coverage once I purchase airfare as that becomes a 'known' cost. Last March's cruise, when I added the airfare, I had to pay an additional $24 premium.

I have no pre-existing conditions that I know of...but I want that waiver. Because we often book so far in advance, a pre-existing condition could arise and I'd rather have the coverage out of the gate than worry about finding/buying a policy at final payment that will give me that feature.

Get it NOW! But, I have learned that you can insure only your initial deposit amount and add to the insurance as you make additional payments. This may depend on the insurance company, so check carefully. We have a 16K cruise planned for late 2017 but have paid only about $130 for insurance so far, based on our deposit amount. It'll be considerably more later and we will pay it at final payment time. If we have to cancel the cruise - and when you book out over a year ahead, that is very possible, we will not have laid out a lot of money and have to worry about transferring it to another trip or losing it. We once lost nearly $1000 on unused trip insurance. Ugh.

If you get your deposit back in full if cancelling before the final payment is paid, why buy insurance until closer to that date? We are looking at a cruise in May 2017 but want to take advantage of the 50% off deposit that ends tomorrow (Aug. 3rd) Can we wait to buy the insurance until closer to the final payment?

Karen

:cool:

Can we wait to buy the insurance until closer to the final payment?

Karen

:cool:

Sure you can wait.

The reason why some people insure immediately after deposit is because many (not all) insurers require that you purchase the insurance within XX number of days if you want to waive any medical pre-existing conditions or if you want a rider included called CFAR Cancel For Any Reason.

To add to what klfrodo explained, when you purchase insurance now, you are gaining protection for anything medical that you already have AND anything that might occur between now and your actual cruise.

Many people say, "oh, but if I got sick I would just cancel the cruise before final payment". That's great if your reason for cancelling is something acute and short term. But many illnesses and diseases start out as something seemingly minor and become more complicated over time or are chronic conditions, especially as we get older. If you have an illness or injury between today and final payment that is either treated, should be treated or is re-occurring in the lookback period (~60-120 days before policy purchase depending on policy) then it becomes a PEC (pre existing condition) and is excluded as being a reason for cancellation coverage.

So you need a 'clean window' of stable health prior to purchasing almost any travel policy unless you purchase it right at the time of deposit and can waive the PEC exclusion.

So you need a 'clean window' of stable health prior to purchasing almost any travel policy unless you purchase it right at the time of deposit and can waive the PEC exclusion.

If you think you'd have to cancel the cruise due to an illness to a non-traveling family member you need to be careful in your choice of plan. Note the difference in the definition of a pre-existing condition between the following two insurers:

(example #1)Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the Effective Date for which You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member booked to travel with You: 1) exhibited symptoms that would have caused one to seek care or treatment; or 2) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 3) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (3) of this definition does not apply to a condition that is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the sixty (60) day period before the Effective Date.

(example #2)“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 180 day period immediately prior to the Effective Date of Your coverage for which You or Your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Family Member: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180 day period before Your coverage is effective under this policy.

So even if pre-existing conditions are not a concern to yourself and you want to wait to make your purchase, other family members might have a pre-existing condition that would not be covered if you have to cancel or cut short your trip due to a medical emergency to him/her. So if you're going to wait you'd definitely be best off choosing plan #1 above so you don't have to worry about pre-existing conditions and non-traveling family members. #1 does that for you as it DOES NOT apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members (only family members traveling with you). #2 applies the pre-existing condition exclusion to all family members, traveling with you or not.