Help! Cancel for medical reasons: sail date March w/Royal Ins.

So I have a crazy situation I hope someone has been thru before and can help..Our family along with 2 other family members are booked on Harmony in March. The 1 family member, my husbands parents had to cancel for medical reasons. My father in law has stage 4 cancer & is just too weak now to travel. The other family members were booked to help care for him as she is a nurse so they want to cancel now also. They both have insurance thru Royal. The one family member called to cancel but was told they can't cancel their reservation because it is "tied" to the parents & they must cancel first. Each reservation was made separately & paid for by the different family members.. I don't understand why they won't let my sister in law cancel or even give her the number for the insurance place. It would all be solved if my mother in law would call & cancel but she is consumed with medical things with my father in law at the moment. Anyone have advice as to why they are not allowed to cancel or give out the phone number for insurance?? Should she just call back & ask for a supervisor??

Thanks for any help!

First let me say I'm sorry to hear about your Father-In-Law. Before the other family members cancel they might want to check their insurance coverage...especially regarding pre-existing conditions. If Grandpa was diagnosed before the insurance was purchased this can be considered pre-existing. Not all policies are the same.

Good info on this site. https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/

OP advised that RCCL Insurance was purchased. Therefore OP needs to refer to page 2 of this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCC_Version_4_9-2015.pdf which states :

*Please note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:

1. a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver; mental, nervous or psychological disorders, or normal pregnancy, unless hospitalized; elective abortion; drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;

There is no point in dealing with RCCL other than to tell them you are canceling and the sooner the better as the longer you wait the less you might get back.

You received a packet from the insurance company via email when you booked so just call or email them and start the process. You will need to have forms filled out by the MD and it won't be an easy or quick process. Make sure to keep a record of all conversations and emails, they will claim to have lost your claim at least once.

There is no point in dealing with RCCL other than to tell them you are canceling and the sooner the better as the longer you wait the less you might get back.

You received a packet from the insurance company via email when you booked so just call or email them and start the process. You will need to have forms filled out by the MD and it won't be an easy or quick process. Make sure to keep a record of all conversations and emails, they will claim to have lost your claim at least once.

You may still cancel for "any reason" but might end up with only a future cruise credit.

OP advised that RCCL Insurance was purchased. Therefore OP needs to refer to page 2 of this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCC_Version_4_9-2015.pdf which states :

*Please note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:

1. a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver; mental, nervous or psychological disorders, or normal pregnancy, unless hospitalized; elective abortion; drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;

Thanks for posting this. At least with RCI they have cancel for any reason....and can offer something if claim is denied due to pre-existing condition(s).

First off, the person filing the claim has to know the amount of money that is going to be refunded back to them from RCI. This would be the Cancellation Percentage, Port Fees and Taxes, Gratuities (if prepaid) and any other purchases made prior to boarding.

Once that figure is determined, then they will deduct that from the Total Cost of the Cruise less the cost of the insurance. It is this figure that will be submitted to the Insurance Company along with all the necessary forms that Cruise Care will send out via email.

Have had to go through RCIs Cruise Care several times we have never had a problem nor have they lost our claim.